O/T New York and Boston

Rachella

Silver Member
Hi all

Firstly apologies for this O/T thread - I know it could go in the main holiday section on the main forum board but... I've noticed hardly anyone frequents that section so I thought I'd have more luck here...

Right - in 6 weeks time we're off to the east coast of the States... spending 2 days in Boston and then spending a week to drive down to New York City (via Cape Cod and Long Island). And finally spending 4 days and nights in NYC. Then fly home.

So - if you've been to Boston or NYC then please share your pearls of wisdom as I'd love to have some hints and tips about must-see places (maybe more original ones) and what to do etc etc!

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

have been to New York and it is fab. Stayed a week then went back for 2 weeks so haven't had to cram so much in to just 4 days but I would suggest you buy a subway pass for the time you are there. it is very cheap and very easy and a quick way of getting around. For night time drinks go to the East Village, the queues for Rockerfella (Top of the Rock) are shorter (and sometimes non existent) to the 2-3 hr q for Empire State and views are just as good.Rather than q (and pay) to go on Liberty Island Ferry take the free Staten Island ferry and get great pics of Liberty and Brooklyn Bridge. If it's a choice between Macy's and Bloomingdales do Bloomingdales- Macy's is much more down-market. Make sure you spare a good few hours for Central Park and the posh areas in upper East and West- if only for the people-watching! Oh and fifth avenue and Soho=amazing shops.

Hope these nuggets help a little.

Oh can I please come with you! x

I only had 2 afternoons in NYC as I was there on business - talk about trying to cram in as much as poss!
On the first afternoon went up the Empire SB, to Times Sq and then went for a Chinese. On the second did the City Sightseeing Bus Tour - really recommend that! We didn't have time to do the full loop though - had to get off early and leg it about 6 blocks like mad people to get back to the train station in time to get to the airport (in New Jersey). Hectic! Would love to go back and do it all properly. Have lots of fun!

I went for a city break to new york last year, it was fab! went to a shopping outlet nr new york called woodbury common, bargains galore!

Macey's is massive, a shoppers paradise :D

We done the rockafella, hard rock cafe, statten island and some open top bus tours, also got the subway to chinatown for dinner one night.

It's excellent you will really enjoy it, it's crazy though, it's never quiet there :D

I simply adore NYC and have been quite a few times (its becoming an addiction!)

All the above tips I would recommend.

Where are you staying? Which hotel?

If you're into your sports, find out what/who's playing at Madison Square Garden, you can get tickets fairly cheaply for the sports fixtures there and its a great night out, very different atmosphere from sports here. Of if its museums then get to the MOME a great place with masses of things to see and fab for if the weathers a bit iffy. Chinatown and Little Italy is a must (I spent my 40th birthday down there). If you opt for the Scenic Bus Tours, I've always found that the RED buses are the best ones, dont know why, just better service. Oh and if you do then make sure you do the Harlem and Brooklyn tours as well as the night tour. All show New York in a completely different light and will provide some lasting memories.

I could talk for hrs and hrs about that place, hope you have a great time.

xx

I went for a week to NY back in 2006 and had a FAB time!
My sister and I got the city bus tour tickets - we got the 2 day tickets and really used them as our means of transport to go where we wanted to go....as long as you can tune out from the sightseeing info you've already listened to they were relatively cheap and we got to tour the most of NY as well as cramming in a Brooklyn route too.
We managed to do a fair bit but i highly recommend the Rockafella Centre, we got the boat that went round the Statue of Liberty - great photos of NY from the boat. We did the rockafella at night after seeing Mamma Mia on Broadway, which was stunning and highly recommended as is seeing a show - such a different atmosphere! We had a picnic in Central Park as well as a horse and carriage ride which was lovely - we were lucky with the weather too.
Little Italy and Chinatown were great - in fact it was amazing being in the different areas and how the "feel" of them changed....so highly receommend a fair bit of walking to get a feel for it.

I am hoping to go back after my course has finished i liked it that much!

Hope you have a fab time!

I went to New York on a 5 day uni trip in February. It was amazing! You'll have the best time.

My absolute favourites were:

Museum of Modern Art - free entry on fridays, and the most amazing collection of art in the world imo. Just about every single painting is a famous one!

The Empire Diner in Chelsea, Manhattan - an extremely shiny and special original art deco diner, with the friendliest staff in the world and properly American food! They fill up your coffee from a pot like in films, and serve amazing sundaes, among loads of other food.

I second everyone telling you to go to the top of the Rockefeller Centre.

Walk across The Brooklyn Bridge. Totally free, of course, and feels really 'New York-y,' if you know what I mean. Great views too.

Papa Bubble in Little Italy, Manhattan hand make lovely little sweets with amazing patterns in, and you can watch them making them. Really really good fun and fab for pressies.

and finally - another food related one, sorry! I went pre-SW :p - The Magnolia Bakery is a must, if you save up/forget about your sins! Beautiful American cupcakes. They taste amazing and they're huge! I wrapped mine up in a napkin and made it last 2 days :p

Aw I'm jealous now, I want to go back!

ImageShack® - Gallery

^ link to a few photos from the above

Back