Oatbran and more!

GrumpyWino

Hello All, another newbie here,

Saturday will be the end of my second week of Dukan, and so far so good, not entirely sure of the weightless as I'm only weighing myself once a week, although my first week I lost 4lbs, including two attack days (as per dukan website recommendation). Already some trousers that didn't do up at all now do up which to me is a better sign than anything the scales say!

For over a year I have been eating low carb as I found that what I call 'obvious carbs' like bread, pasta, potatoes cause me terrible stomach pain, bloating and a frightful time on the toilet! Just cutting those out caused a lot of weight loss along with improved energy and all round better health. However, a recent two week period of intense stress lead to missing a lot of meals, then hurriedly eating crisps and a few takeaways lead to me piling on the weight - literally from a size 12 to bursting out of a 14 in two weeks! So, I thought Dukan looks good for the long term weightloss, I'll give it a try. And so far so good. But. Oatbran. Yep. For the first week I religiously had it in my yogurt (I don't actually like pancakes, biscuits, or muffins) but Oh my word, the diarrhoea!!!! I hoped it was just the change in diet, as I had obviously cut out fat. I cut the oat bran out for the last two days and my bowels are back to their usual happy ways again!

One thing that has rarely been a problem for me is constipation, probably because I am a regular runner, do yoga and Jillian Michaels dvds. An hour of yoga will clear me out a treat! So, just how important is the oat bran? I really cannot tolerate even the small amounts Dukan insets upon.

Also, I'm a little concerned that in later stages bread etc is reintroduced, obviously I cannot do this. I can cope with small amounts of fruit, but bread and pasta in particular are big no-nos for me. I don't even like them. I never really did like potatoes either, I just used to eat them under the impression they were good for me (although the diarrhoea the next day was a big clue that they weren't). Would a slightly more Atkins style way of eating with a pure protein day be acceptable for the later stages? I do enjoy cheese and wine (not missing either right now though) Is there anyone else out there like me???

Hi! I have similar issues but more intermittently and know that eating bread and pasta means stomach pains the day after so I generally don't eat them. Sounds like you might be a bit gluten intolerant / have coeliac or something like that. Have you been to the doctor?

have you thought about other grains/ starches ? beans, lentils, bulgar wheat, quinoa, barley etc etc ? maybe you could input them instead? perhaps worth looking into?

oh and if you are gluten intolerant, in the latter phases maybe input making your own gluten free bread etc etc

No, I really didn't see the need for the time consuming diagnosis route, although I assumed I had some kind of intolerance..... It was easier to just cut out the foods that bothered me, the results (weight loss, improved energy, better health, clearer skin, better sleep, healthier tummy and bowels) spoke for themselves! Rice didn't seem to be too much of a problem, though I rarely ate it, the odd bit of chocolate (dark) was ok. Most vegetables are fine too. Do you eat the oat bran? I'm just a bit concerned that it seems so important on this diet, yet seems to be a problem for me.

There's a bit in the book that says if you're intolerant of the oatbran not to have it and your losses may ve slightly slower. I had a similar issue pre dukan. ibs meaning going 4+x per day but I seem to cope ok with the oatbran! Good luck x

Yes, the book does say that if you can't tolerate the oat bran not to have it. Also, once bread is re-introduced maybe think about spelt bread. A friend of mine was recently diagnosed wheat intolerant and since she can't live w/o bread she managed to find some spelt bread at the health food shop and she even likes it :) Also she baked her own from recipes we googled, if you can't find any to buy

Thanks everyone! A sneaky weigh in shows 8lb lost so far..... I may try the oat bran again next week, say one tbsp, to see the effects.

Back