Oh my god......BAD news.....

so sorry to hear your news

Oh what horrible news
Your poor sister

Thinking of you and your family (((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))
daisy x

OMG BL, I am so sorry to hear that.

I hope all goes well and sending you my love.

Take care of yourself too x x

Oh bugger BL!! Anything worse to heap on your plate I could not think of! I wish you all the strength to help her. They are fantastically good with all this now though and recovery is really a good option so keep your hopes and spirits up!

Is she a blood sister?

Hey BL So sorry to hear your news <<<<<<HUGS>>>>>>

Thank you everyone. I have not moved since getting the news - feeling very helpless and sooooo far away from her.

Foxtrot - yes, I am a blood sister by half, we have the same mother. So obviously there is concern brewing as well. There is a fair amount of female cancers in B-moms side of the family.

We had the ovarian cancer scare, which is why I had a hysterectomy at 33 years old. I was at a very high risk and all doctors said the way forward was a hysterectomy, followed with HRT...which I have been on for years. Of course, a side effect of HRT is Breast Cancer.

There is a lot of irony in this whole tale. Kelly, my sis, refused to have a hysterectomy - she said she would feel like less of a women. :( So she did not have it. ANd now this.

I wanted children, but felt I would be no good to them if I got OC, so I had the surgery. SInce then, moms had a genetic test for OC, and the gene skipped her. So, I did not need the surgery, could have had kids, etc., which was a real issue for me to overcome before/during/after LL, etc. And poor Kelly, chose to take the risk to not lose her feminitiy. And now this. I don;t know if I am explaining this verywell, but it sure seems ironic, on both counts.

Anyway, as said, I had the hysterectomy, and have been on HRT since 1993. So obviously, I now am concerned. Not panicked or paranoid - don't get me wrong, but obviously, concerned. I will speak to my GP about getting regular mammograms now, as I would think I would qualify.

Sorry - not writing very well I know, but hope that all makes sense.

You're writing fine Jan, and I hope it's all helping with the shock.

I worked in a school with 45 female staff for many years and of the 7 that had breast cancer ALL of them are fine!!!!

The whole thing is scarey, no one is going to deny that, but look posative, it's one they have a bit of a grip on and the monitoring for it is very good.

I had my hysto at 30 but refused the HRT, but I was allowed to keep my ovaries which you wouldn't have of course. I think you are just a shade older than me when it was all the rage and THE thing to have HRT then anyway. Are you going to stay on it now?

Im so sorry to hear your news BL and I cant add anymore heartfelt words than have already been given. I will say though that if your sister is anything like you, then I absoloutely feel certain that she will be fine. Im sure she can get the positive vibes that you emenate from your emails to her. I know that we pick up your vibes from your writings on this forum....its your gift!
Much love and sinsere regards to you and your family.
xx

So sorry to hear about your sister. Thinking of you and your family and sending hugs xxx

You poor thing - you must be in a state of complete shock and trying to process this all. I know when I have received shocks in the past it actually takes a few days to absorb/process it all and be able to think/see more clearly.

You are a strong lady and (am sure your sister is too) you will comes to terms with this and gather the strength to deal with it all - but it takes a while for our bodies to muster up that strength again - so be easy and gentle on yourself.

As you said it may be an idea to have a mammogram. I actually have one once a year - which is private - but its gives me peace of mind.

Thinking of you.

So sorry to hear your news. Prayers & thoughts for your sister & you. My mum & sister have both had breast cancer & my sister had a mastectomy. They are both 5 years clear now & doing great. I now get annual mammogram, the hospital where my mum & sister were treated have a great family genetic unit that I attend. I am sure you will be able to get the same - your GP will refer you.
Hugsx

BL - sorry to hear about your sis. Thinking of you. xx

So sorry to hear about your sister BL. All the women down my road have just had their mammograms and my good friend next door has had to have a radical mastectmy too, removing her lymph glands on the right side as well. It is horrible I'm sure but she just wanted to get all the cancer taken away and worry about her the cosmetic side of things later. She has decided that she will be having reconstructive surgery but not for at least another year. In the mean time, she has a brilliant bra and says she feels just as feminine and knows her husband loves her no matter what.

I know it's very easy to put Cancer and mortality into the same basket but the UK NHS is brilliant at dealing with breast cancer in particular. It's most well researched, and has more treatment options than any other type of cancers.

If you look at the BBC news website today, there's an article about how successfully breast cancer is now being treated. I know it doesn't take away from the fact your poor sister is going to have to suffer a mastectomy, but it could maybe be a comfort too that she is in good hands and her prospects for the future are very positive.

I can completely understand your concern about the probability of you having the same problem. You should be able to qualify for a mammogram considering your family history I'm sure. Just push it with yout GP, say how it'll impact on your mental health if you are not able to be screened. The worry just isn't worth it. Just try not to worry though (easy to say I know)

I hope your sister and family can overcome the shock of this news and remain positive as I'm sure you will.

With much love and prayers at this difficult time

Rachel xxx

Back