Ok, im going syn free next week - anyone with me???

I suspect you'll get a lot of responses similar to this one. It's really not a good idea to completely cut out Syns, it's also not going to make that much of a difference!

Last edited:
When I hit my plateau I think it was because I wasn't eating enough. I still had my 70 syns for the week however meals wise i don't think my calorie intake was high enough.

The 3rd week I changed my meals, introduced more foods calorie wise, had 70 syns and low and behold I lost 2.5lbs.

As already mentioned i would advise against reducing your syns

I think you're better off trying to change things a bit. Try different Hex's, try different syns. Do make sure you're eating enough. Conversely, check portion sizes (and superfree if you're doing extra easy) Up your exercise.

Think seriously before reducing your syns - what if that doesn't kick-start you? Where will you go then? I am 1kg from target and I have got there using my full 15 syns a day. Of course, if I can't shift that 1kg I may consider reducing, but I doubt it. But at least I know I have options :D

In another thread that you've started you say this

I have a really bad habit of being impeccably behaved Monday to Friday (4 gym sessions, max 15 syns) and managing to lose a few pounds (I'm tall so a few in a week is normal for me) and then cheat so badly at weekends that I put it straight back on and end up at the same each Monday which means I plateau and get fed up
So I'd suggest that you work on ways to motivate yourself at the weekend which will mean that you don't undo your hard work in the week as soon as Saturday and Sunday come around.

Do you plan your meals for the entire week? Can you get your OH on board so that he doesn't eat tempting foods in front of you? Have you tried making low syn versions of the food that you miss at the weekend like chinese?

Just some suggestions and as others have said cutting out your syns completely really isn't advisable.

Jaq said:
In another thread that you've started you say this

So I'd suggest that you work on ways to motivate yourself at the weekend which will mean that you don't undo your hard work in the week as soon as Saturday and Sunday come around.

Do you plan your meals for the entire week? Can you get your OH on board so that he doesn't eat tempting foods in front of you? Have you tried making low syn versions of the food that you miss at the weekend like chinese?

Just some suggestions and as others have said cutting out your syns completely really isn't advisable.

I was just gonna say this.

Try the 'non yo-yoing weekends' method for a little bit longer than cutting syns.

I can relate on the weekend thing! This weekend was a prime example... Saturday night out! But if you cut syns, I know I'd be more tempted and probably hit the weekend twice as hard.
Trust the plan, you know it works, as it works for you mon-fri :)

Good luck! x

Ahh thanks for all your input guys - you're all so wise! It's always easier and more logical from the outside I guess!

Well I'm DEF eating enough, I'm just making sure it's syn free (spinach and egg White omelettes for breakfast with toast, huge free soup for lunch and then fish and veg for dinner) but I then use all my syns on chocolate. But saying that, I guess that should be ok? confusing. And yep, you're right, the bad weekends aren't helping. So maybe I'm just not counting all the syns? How do you guys keep track? I tend to keep a running total in my head and I'm pretty sure I absent mindedly eat without noticing...

Why don't you start a food diary, there is a thread, then if you are making 'mistakes' people can help you out!

In theory, if you want 15syns of chocolate that's fine as long as you aren't taking on more by mistake. Is your bread defo HEXB? Are you weighing all HEX's and syns? As tedious as it is... Are you eating enough free foods to fuel all that exercise? Your body will hang on to what you do eat otherwise!

x

A spinach and egg White omelettes for breakfast with toast, Why not full egg - add in mushrooms etc for superfree

huge free soup for lunch - Do you have anything with this

fish and veg for dinner - presuming your doing red days hence why no potatoes

use all my syns on chocolate. Fine if thats what you want

How do you guys keep track? Start writing it down (as you eat it) either on the tracker or as a diary on here

Personally id be starving if thats all i ate and so would binge on the choc etc. Maybe if you actually ate more balanced meals you wouldn't want to snack so much.
Do you use your HEX's?

You might have hit the nail on the head there Tig. I reckon I've got a bit complacent with quantities. Been doing it on and off for so long that I'm like 'yeah that's about 2 syns' when it's probably at least 3 times that!!! That's kind of why I think if I cut out syns altogether I'll stick to it, as long as I keep the free stuff interesting.

Might have a look at the food diary idea - thank you! X

Do you not think that's balanced slimbysummer? I thought it was pretty good?! Hate mushrooms by the way! And no yolks as the way i see it if you can cut cholesterol why not? And the soup is a lentil one so pretty filling. I'm doing EE but just don't have carbs in the evening. Not actually hungry either, it's the sweet tooth that makes me want the choc x

goingtobeskinnysoon said:
Do you not think that's balanced slimbysummer? I thought it was pretty good?! Hate mushrooms by the way! And no yolks as the way i see it if you can cut cholesterol why not? And the soup is a lentil one so pretty filling. I'm doing EE but just don't have carbs in the evening. Not actually hungry either, it's the sweet tooth that makes me want the choc x

It's been proven that you don't get high cholesterol from eating egg yolks hun, so don't worry about that - in fact, eating egg yolks has no affect on your cholesterol at all. I agree with slimbysummer - I would be starving if that's all I ate, and I rarely eat all my Syns for the day as I am full from the free & super free I eat. There are loads of chocolates that are 10 Syns or less as well. Before you cut out egg yolks, I'd try cutting my Syns to 10 a day, and increase the amount you eat during the day.

There are lots of things to put in an omlette. Can i ask why no carbs in evening meal???
Carbs are not the enemy - your menu seems like you are trying to cut carbs out all together. your body needs protein & carb to work correctly. So maybe you should mix up your diet by having a mix otherwise you might as well be having a red or green day and having more HEX's

As for sweet tooth - your body is craving something poss the type energy you get from rice, pasta etc.
As an alternative to choc - try mixing sweetner with quark then adding berries - delicous!!! or make a half syn roulade so you get the sweet treats while you wean your self off choc
Then 2 or 3 times a week have a wispa bar - 10.5 syns

For a low syn choc kick try 2 sachets of options/hi-lights with your HExA milk heated up. Very nice! 4 syns for that.

A nice omlette is 'pizza omlette'. Make an omlette, top with chopped tomatoes, peppers, ham and HExA cheese. It's great! Very filling for a breakfast too.

As others have said, what are your HExB choices? Do you have soldiers with your soup or cereal?

I understand where you're at with overdoing chocolate. I start with a couple of squares for 3 syns then end up eating the lot! xx

OK.I'm going to be a little bit controversial here. You are NOT doing Slimming World. You are tweaking so much that I would not have recognised it at all. How about going back to the basics without introducing any elements that you have taken from other diets. Forget what you have learnt in the past and trust the plan for a whole week and then see what happens Good luck and sorry for being blunt x x

goingtobeskinnysoon said:
Ahh thanks for all your input guys - you're all so wise! It's always easier and more logical from the outside I guess!

Well I'm DEF eating enough, I'm just making sure it's syn free (spinach and egg White omelettes for breakfast with toast, huge free soup for lunch and then fish and veg for dinner) but I then use all my syns on chocolate. But saying that, I guess that should be ok? confusing. And yep, you're right, the bad weekends aren't helping. So maybe I'm just not counting all the syns? How do you guys keep track? I tend to keep a running total in my head and I'm pretty sure I absent mindedly eat without noticing...

You may think you're eating enough however if you work out the calories based on the meal plan above u bet you are nowhere near even 1000 cals a day. I know SW isn't about calorie counting however you really do need to look at what you are eating

Ahh I think I may have misled you guys a bit by not putting in all the fruit and yogurt I eat. I seem to be eating fruit every few hours so I'm not as strict as the above may have seemed (sorry!)

Anyway, thanks for all the advice (and blunt is fine, honestly!). Going to go back to the true SW today so pretty sure I'll see a difference soon. Thanks for all your input! Might start a diary on here so you guys can give me the brutal truth when I start moaning again!! X

Back