On a similar note to the Butter Nut Squash...

rainbow

Gold Member
Ive bought some sweet potatoes..... and am at a loss as to what to do with them? (And are they free on a red day?) Can I have them as a jacket potato - or is that not what they're for?! xxx

They are free on both and make lovely wedges, soups, or baked like a jacket potato. The only note is that they don't take as long as regular potatoes to bake and bake up soggy in foil!!

They also make nice mash (at home at thanksgiving we mash with a bit of spread and a bit of cinnamon and sprinkle tiny marshmallows on top and grill until golden and melted) ummmmmm, sounds weird, but it's lovely, but I digress.

For the wedges leave the skin on and if you have the HE B, a tsp of olive oil (1/3 HE B) carmelises them and makes them gorgeous!!

Also nice to chop them up and roast them with other veggies.
x
Steph

They are definately not free on red days apparently, I thought they were but my swc seems to say they aren't, I was gutted because i was having those as wedges instead of normal potato on red days :(

I used to just spray mine with fry light and either crush garlic or sprinkle curry powder on them before cooking ;)

Just checked, raw, boiled or steamed sweet potatoes are 1 sin per 28g and flesh only baked is 1.5sins per 28g on red :(

Thanks for the info Mrs B. I've been meaning to check if they were free on a red day, but didn't get round to it!

Annette x

I thought they weren't free on red...go i thought i was seeing things lol

Ruthy xxx

Thanks - dunno that I'll bother after these two then xxx

I've never tried sweet potatoes but I think I will give them a go. Shame they aren't free on red though

Just checked, raw, boiled or steamed sweet potatoes are 1 sin per 28g and flesh only baked is 1.5sins per 28g on red :(

Yep i agree my food opt book says the same! But i love them cubed with red onion and butternut squash sprayed with frylight and roasted.....yummy!!

They are definately not free on red days apparently, I thought they were but my swc seems to say they aren't

Many apologies I thought they were as well!!! I just looked them up and boiled they are 1 syn for 28g on a red day and 1.5 if they are baked! How cr*p is that? I am so dissapointed, I have alternated having them and bns chips on a red day! O'well I will just take em as syns as they are slightly less than potatoes.

x
Steph

No prob Steph. I know its rubbish isn't it - a veg shouldnt be syns!!! But I know why they are. Thats one of the many brill thanks bout this forum it helps us out and stops us from continuing to make ickle mistakes like thinking somethings free when its not.
xx

Hi Smigget

We're talking about sweet potato - it's a funny, long shaped red potatoey thing.

Butternut squash is completely different and is DEFINITELY FREE on BOTH days!

They're both really versatile and a change from normal potatoes. Sweet potato is only FREE on GREEN days.

Hope this helps!

Annette x

Oh right- I thought a yam and sweet potato were different things! lol - you learn somethin new everyday x

Sweeter version

Hi, Rainbow

Just stumbled across this site and hope to be a regular. I was brought up in South Africa and as a kid my mother made Butternut with sugar and butter (yummy)....I now make the Butternut with a little powder sweetner and mash it. (Its extra good with a nice curry.) or

put a little sweetner and cinnamon in the Butternut. or

Grate the butternut with a pineapple and sprinkle a little powder sweetner (or sugar free jelly crystals, pineapple or orange flavour) and chill it in the fridge and have it as a side salad with grilled or barbequed meat or with curry. and

my mom used to make sweet potato with sugar and a dash of cream (very yummy) but again you can make the sweet potato with a little powder sweetner and/or cinnamon.

Enjoy:drool:

Omg god! that sounds lovely!!!!

Im unsure if you know the story about my BNS it looked like a sex aid.....its still in my kitchen....havent touched it....dont know what to do with it HAHAHA

rUTHY XXX

Hi, Ruthy

BNS is my fav veggie.....I'll never be able to eat it again without thinking of you!!!:giggle:

V

Thanks V, will try it- would never have thought bout having them with something sweet x

Sorry BIGV.....IM NOT SURE I CAN FACE IT NOW PMSL!

Ruthy xxx ;)

Back