on day 9 and need some advice

Honestly, don't give up - it does get so much better - and purple ketostix suggests you are going great, so stay strong and you will be fine! Would just hate for you to trip up through no fault of your own because of confusion :)

You can do this!! :) :) :)

SD xxx

well ketostix say purple, will just keep an eye out , i am really bothered about what you've said in that first paragraph though!

Glad you are still in ketosis hun, that's good news! Maybe you have made it through to the other side now and you are on the up! :)

I think (this is how I interpret it anyway) that when checking labels, go off purely the carb content and forget about the calculation. The food labelling system in America varies from ours here in the UK. I am ready to be corrected on this one though lol, I am no expert! Lol! :D

Made the cheese burger pie too and it was delicious, you must try it as you will not be disappointed!

Chin up hun and stick with it if you can. You will be glad you did when you reach your goal :)

xwendywoox

call me a sceptic, but who is the original poster and where did she get the info from? It seems odd that uk would put net carbs without actually saying "net carbs" instead of "total carbs" ?? I am very suspicious of this.... anyone who doesnt say where they got their info from is potentially wrong as far as i'm concerned.

Anyway the 5 seed flaxmeal is still very low in carbs, even with out taking the fibre away, its only a little naughty because it has some other seeds that arent allowed until phase 2. Which to be honest, i'd rather skip to phase 2 and not feel ill that carry on in induction missing work days and not eating :(

are you still in ketosis in phase 2? i have the book just havent hadtime to read it lol

oh and thank you both, don't take my overemotional posting too personaly, i've been struggling with my weight for so long now , this really felt like "it" till i got so ill. As you say though perhaps i am coming throught it rather than back at square 1, i know it can take a few days for a "cheat" to take effect though so fingers crossed,.

Much love xx

Hey - I understand your frustration, but the poster on the forum I just sent is not alone...

A good article to read is 'The Net Carb Myth'...

"In the United Kingdom, the rest of the European Union and some other countries, fiber is shown separately. In other words, the total carbohydrate value is the 'net carb' count."
The net carb myth...

Other forums (too many to post, but here is a selection) also make it quite clear:

"In the UK there will always be only netcarb listed. So no subtraction necessary."
Net Carbs on food labels in UK

"Another thing is that in UK our labels dont include fibre (only USA counts fibre as being a carbohydrate), so when calculating your 20 carbs, make sure you add any fibre listed on any labels to give you a true picture of how many carbs including fibre you are eating."
Red Bull Sugar Free : U.K. : Active Low-Carber Forums

"As far as low carb goes, you can forget the fibre on the UK labels on the low carb front it is a red herring."
"Just make sure you use the total carb count on our labels and you will be doing fine."
Deducting Fibre - what are the rules? : U.K. : Active Low-Carber Forums

"You don't subtract the fiber to get net carbs, you simply don't include it."
Atkins diet, question about net carbs? - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Answers

"However British labels don't include fibre as carbs so don't subtract it from the total if it isn't included in the first place."
Diabetes Forum • Low carb foods and sugar free

Etc etc...

I can't remember where I read it the first time - I think it was on the MIM thread, where someone was asking about the carb count... either that or in the book.. I can't remember.

Hope that's cleared things up a bit...?

x

Oh, and don't worry about being overemotional - that's what minimins is here for. I have been in your position in the past, I think many of us have - and there is NOTHING more frustrating than failing at yet another diet - but take comfort in the fact that...

YOU WILL NOT FAIL THIS TIME!

Atkins WILL work for you and if you stay in ketosis, as you are the moment, and you drink plenty of water... you WILL get to the weigh you want to be. The key is sticking to the diet to the letter. I am no angel, I have 'bent and moulded' diets to fit me all my life, but paid the price (weight watchers, calorie counting, slimming world, diet chef, idiot proof, you name it...). The only times I have lost substantial weight is by doing Lighter Life (total food replacement), Exante (same) and Atkins... and the one thing that holds them all together is... *drum roll* KETOSIS!

Ketosis really does rock - and while your peesticks are turning pink/purple, you are burning fat and weeing it out! Everytime you go for a wee, do a little whoop and cheer :) You are losing weight day by day!

The scale won't always show it, but you ARE losing. Keep the faith.

As an ongoing diet "loser" (or not), it is easy to expect that you will fail again... and the emotion that accompanies that thought isn't good... but come on - chin up - life is about to get really, awesomely, brilliantly fab - and you are in control at last.

I know I sound a bit preachy and happy clappy sometimes, and I am going through my own battles with diet at the moment - but one thing I know is that ketosis is a great place to be (once the dust settles) and low carb living can really give you your life back.

So come on - giz' a smile :)

SD xxx

Bless your socks SD xx

All those posts look really great, i will have a read of those now.

And thanks for your advice too, gave me a little tear and a little chuckle at the same time, My husband has been suprised at how committed i've been this time, i do love the black and white of this diet and i am so sure it will work this time, it has to!!

So i'm off to get another pint of water. Having a mild cheese salad today instead of mature to see if that goes down a bit easier today :D i'm sticking with the flax buns i have for now till the meal has gone though - it's not cheap!! if it causes me problems though i will stop using it until a later phase,

Thanks again :D:bighug:

Ketosis really does rock - and while your peesticks are turning pink/purple, you are burning fat and weeing it out! Everytime you go for a wee, do a little whoop and cheer :) You are losing weight day by day!

Love this! :D I am currently waiting for my ketostix to arrive and can't wait until they get here! I know I will be jumping around and cheering when I get my first pink/purple one! :D

SD you are so right, I did this diet for just over a month as a 'quick fix' when I was a teenager as I wanted to lose weight for a holiday. It truely does work if you can just get through the first couple of weeks. Looking back I wish I had continued through the phases. Remind me about this post if I get Atkins flu won't you lol! (only on day 4) Fingers crossed I still feel very positive about this (apart from being totally fed up of eggs!)

It definately sounds like you are through the worst of it now hun. Things can only get better from here and there are lots of lovely peeps on here to support you :) ((hugs))

xwendywoox

i started to get ill around day 6, which is the same as when i did exante. I sincerely hope yours doesn't last as long as mine hun!! But do go back to this post if you are feeling awful as it has really helped me and you can read ur own advice :D xxx

Ah thanks, it's nice of you to say so :)

By the way, I am just having lunch now. I have salad with lashings of mayo and I brought some cheese burger pie to have with it (am currently at work). I have to say as much as I enjoyed it last night I think it is even better cold :)

You really must try it when you get chance hun ;)

xwendywoox

Might make it tomorrow night :) am making sure my appetite is fully back before i try anything new so i can give it a good chance lol.

Only ate half my salad , from compulsive binge eater to anorexic in one week? :8855:

Just the wonder of ketosis! At first you truly do feel like you can't stomach food - any food. But be warned - if you were to indulge in sugary or starchy carbs your appetite would come roaring back stronger than ever. After a few weeks it balances out and you feel hunger at what you might call 'appropriate' times. Not the desperate desire to eat you get with carb cravings.

Ketosis really is the dieter's friend. You must eat regularly, of the right food, to keep your body running in peak order. Try eating proper cooked or raw veggies and not just salad because salad has too few nutrients to sustain health day after day. Salad is mostly water!

The net carbs of flaxseed are much lower than stated on the packs. Not only that, the fibre passes straight through us. So do not fear the miraculous MIM unless you find that it stalls you. Make sure you drink lots more fluid with a MIM.

Just the wonder of ketosis! At first you truly do feel like you can't stomach food - any food. But be warned - if you were to indulge in sugary or starchy carbs your appetite would come roaring back stronger than ever. After a few weeks it balances out and you feel hunger at what you might call 'appropriate' times. Not the desperate desire to eat you get with carb cravings.

Ketosis really is the dieter's friend. You must eat regularly, of the right food, to keep your body running in peak order. Try eating proper cooked or raw veggies and not just salad because salad has too few nutrients to sustain health day after day. Salad is mostly water!

The net carbs of flaxseed are much lower than stated on the packs. Not only that, the fibre passes straight through us. So do not fear the miraculous MIM unless you find that it stalls you. Make sure you drink lots more fluid with a MIM.

Hi girlygirl,
Thanks for your post, i must admit - it seems odd that this net carb confusion would actually mean that in the uk mims had 12.5g of carbs and in the states only a couple? just seems so unlikely to me!!! As it simply wouldn't be allowed on induction if that were true, and neither would most of the recipes on the atkins website , or in any of the recipe books, they'd all be banned!!!

when i have time to research it myself i will take it on board but right now i'm not giving up mims for anything !! lol

Ahhh, mims are different. Hehe. Just to be confusing.

Flaxseed is mostly an insoluble fibre, and - for some reason unbeknownst to me - you do subtract from the total... something about the way they are labelled. Maybe they are packaged in the States!? Gawd knows.

Not trying to confuse you - but yeah, don't worry about mims - if you use pure flaxseed, you are fine (there are some carbs, but only a few, not the scary number they suggest). Check the MIM thread, I am sure someone else mentioned this and it was clarified.

:) xx

Ahhh, mims are different. Hehe. Just to be confusing.

Flaxseed is mostly an insoluble fibre, and - for some reason unbeknownst to me - you do subtract from the total... something about the way they are labelled. Maybe they are packaged in the States!? Gawd knows.

Not trying to confuse you - but yeah, don't worry about mims - if you use pure flaxseed, you are fine (there are some carbs, but only a few, not the scary number they suggest). Check the MIM thread, I am sure someone else mentioned this and it was clarified.

:) xx

you do like to confuse things don't you :p

well my 5 seed flaxmeal is the same brand as the pure flaxmeal so if it's down to how they are labelled then my one must be ok, well as i said before the gross carbs were low anyway regardless of whether they had fibre subtracted.... my laptop is overheating from too much ebaying so i'm going to let it cool down and then i'm going to do some research as i don't like not understanding things, and i even less like things that are illogical lol :D

Hahaha - illogical stuff is just not logical, huh?

Let us know how you get on and if you manage to crack the carb conumdrum!! :)

Howdy folks - lots of things are technically carbs including fibre and polyols

In the UK the label decision was to separate fibre from the rest of the carbs because it acts differently to other carbs
In the US it was to leave it in the carbs

You can usually tell the difference because the label says
Carbs x
Of which
Sugar y
Fibre z (us version)

In the uk it says
Carbs a
Of which
Sugar y
And then further down the label has a separate item saying
Fibre z

You want the carbs that impact blood sugar. So read a off the uk label and x-z off the us label. (a=x-z)

In addition if you look at an atkins bar you will also see polyols listed as part of the carbs making total carbs often 20g a bar. It's a bit contraversial but polyols are not supposed to cause insulin response so they caculate the net carbs by excluding polyols. Some people react though which is why you should avoid the bars on induction

Hope that makes sense! hang in there - atkins really works amazingly well:D

omg its algebra time!! lol

I still dont get why the states would be telling us to eat loads of stuff which is way over our carb limit......

are you saying that if fibre is much lower down the list then it's already seperated?

Elemental said:
I still dont get why the states would be telling us to eat loads of stuff which is way over our carb limit...

They aren't, it's the same rules and same limit, just a different way of reading labels ya dingbat :)

The reason it is that way in the book is cos it's written by Americans and they have to calculate, and we don't.

Capiche?? :D
x

i'm slowly starting to hate americans for all this confusion :eek::D

I'm ready the newest book, and all the way through it's converted for english readers and all the way through it talks about net carbs and how to calculate them, its not really the simple fool proof diet they claim is it??

When i have finished the book and when i can be bothered i will write one of those complaint letters that i always say i'm going to write but never get round to :D

Back