ONLY 1lb!!!

Taz

Spam Hunter
Right, I am going to apologise in advance if this upsets or offends anyone. As you all know I spend a lot of time here and I usually very mild mannered but just lately something has been increasingly winding me up!

WHY OH WHY do I keep seeing posts about people 'disappointed' with a 1lb loss? 1lb a week is 52lb a year. 3st 10lb! Why is that a reason to moan? Why would you not be happy with that? A healthy diet should see a 1-2lb loss per week so why is 1lb such an awful number?

This isn't a race, SW is about a healthy lifestyle FOR LIFE not a quick fix. what's the rush? Yes I know we all have goals etc and some of those are date determined but if you have had a week where you think you should have lost more then you will probably lose it the following week. If you don't then maybe your body is telling you something.

Our bodies are complex machines and there are a lot of factors involved in weight loss and sometimes when we don't lose lbs we lose inches. Every now and then our bodies need to rest and adjust to the changes already made. This could be after losing a small amount or a large amount, so just be patient. The more you stress about not losing the less likely you are to lose!

Did you lose 1lb this week? Well done!
Did you expect/hope for it to be more? Ah well, maybe next week
Are you becoming slimmer and healthier? YES

Just remember that at the end of this leg of the journey you have a whole lifetime to be slim! Look at the bigger picture!

Right, rant over. I love you all! :D

As posted by Jaxmummy on the team thread:

Only One Pound

Hello, do you know me?

If you don't, you should. I'm a pound of fat,

and I'm the HAPPIEST pound of fat that you would ever want to meet.

Want to know why?

It's because no one ever wants to lose me;

I'm ONLY ONE POUND, just a pound!

Everyone wants to lose three pounds, five pounds, or fifteen pounds,

But never only one.

So I just stick around and happily keep you fat.

Then I add to myself, ever so slyly, so that you never seem to notice it.

That is, until I've grown to ten, twenty, thirty or even more pounds in weight.

Yes, its fun being ONLY ONE POUND OF FAT, left to do as I please.

So, when you weigh in, keep right on saying, "Oh, I only lost one pound."

(As if that were such a terrible thing.)

For you see, if you do this, you'll encourage others to keep me around because they'll think I'm not worth losing.

And, I love being around you - your arms, your legs, your chin, your hips and every part of you.

Happy Days!!!

After all, I'm ONLY ONE POUND OF FAT!!!

I'd be glad of a pound, I've only lost 2 1/2 pounds in the last month. My weight loss seems to have settled at 1/2 lb a week at the moment!

I don't disagree Taz but sometimes when you have out in so much effort in the week sticking to plan a 1lb loss doesn't seem to reflect your effort. I think it's also hard in the early SW days when the weight loss starts to drop down to 1lb week from the bigger loses in the first few months to accept that it is a good loss.
But if I will say that if people are disappointed with a 1lb loss then they are free to come on here and moan and they should get the encouragement and support they need.

If loosing weight was easy we would all be thin, there would be no weight issues and we would have to find something else to hate about ourselves (lol). Myself personally i agree with Taz, I know it feels dissapointing when you don't see the number on the scales that you want but its coming off and as iv'e read in plenty of times that if it comes off slowly it will stay off longer. How many times have we put on a pound and said "oh well i thought i would of put on more, i will get that off next week" and we are happy when we do. Its how you look at things in life that makes the difference. xxx

I DON'T THINK WE SHOULD BE NAMING AND SHAMING PEOPLE !! and yeah i totally agree 1 pound is ace i lost most of mine through one pound losses but sometimes it's frustrting when you see people losing this and that and it's going slow people come here for support and vent i'm quite sure everyone of us has had a winge wether it is a valid one or what the point of all this is that we listen and support each other!!

I agree that we need to put things into perspective and not be disappointed with small losses as they are still achievements. I was disappointed with staying the same in my second week as in past attempts at dieting I've always had much bigger losses in the first few weeks. However, I know that this is a completely different way of dieting for me and I am quite happy now to accept whatever happens because I know that at the very least I am eating very healthily and I am also enjoying it without guilt. It is also the first diet that I can feel confident in being able to keep up, not just for the long term, but for life.

Teresa

We are eating healthier than we were before and its what counts. We will feel better for any changes big or small that will benifit our health. Keep up the good work everyone, we are all in the same boat and here to help each other when needed. Thanks xxx

I agree whole-heartedly Taz! I think a pound loss is fantastic!

I think the problem is sometimes we get carried away with wanting big losses each week, we're in a hurry to change but we've got to remember the bigger picture - that this is for life! Not just for the period that we're doing the SW plan!

That's why I'm not letting myself get too down about my weight loss (or lack of it!) at the moment. I know that losing it slowly is best as I want to keep it off forever and I also want to increase my stamina and fitness at the same time too.

I think that at the end of the day we should all just be proud of ourselves each week (even if we have a small loss, STS or gain a bit) because we've taken that BIG step to do something about our weight and therefore improve our lives in certain aspects! Pat yourself on the back that you're still hanging in there!

I don't disagree Taz but sometimes when you have out in so much effort in the week sticking to plan a 1lb loss doesn't seem to reflect your effort. I think it's also hard in the early SW days when the weight loss starts to drop down to 1lb week from the bigger loses in the first few months to accept that it is a good loss.
But if I will say that if people are disappointed with a 1lb loss then they are free to come on here and moan and they should get the encouragement and support they need.

TOTALLY agree! I have been a member here for over a year and and have given much support and encouragement in that time. Even when I have been off the wagon myself and through a month where there were 3 deaths in my circle I still came on here daily to support others even though I couldn't support myself!

I love this forum as it's very nature is supportive and friendly, the point of my post is that this is not a quick fix and 1lb a week is nothing to be sniffed at. Our efforts are not ONLY shown on the scales and it's important to remember that x

I DON'T THINK WE SHOULD BE NAMING AND SHAMING PEOPLE !! !!
No one has been named and there is definately no shame! Every loss is a good one, I just want to point out that 1lb is not a bad thing and there are other factors to consider etc x

Superb posts here!! :)

Totally agree Taz. One week i lost a half a pound was so pleased it was a loss, not a gain.

it's ok XXX i read the post below you wrong taz am bit overly sensitive with the forum ganging up lol i think ikkle meant that the poem was hers sorry for confusion XXXX

Ah I see! Why are you sensitive about ganging up hun? I've never really seen anything like that on the SW section, I think we are all friendly and nice and respectful of each other unless I missed something! I left a different forum cus of cliques and nastiness, it's not a community I want to be part of x

thats what i meant hon other forums i think everyone is very nice here i think i have seen one argument in the whole time i have been on and thats a while. I suppose it's not a very subjective place really makes for a nice enviroment when everybody tends to have the same interest at heartXXX

I totally agree!!! I lost 2lb last week..and was very happy with that!! So long as I lose (or even the odd time maintain) I dont mind at all!! Its not a hard diet to follow....and to lose 1-2lb a week is fantastic!!!!!! Last time I "dieted" I starved myslef most days..lost 2 stone in 3 months...but as soon as I started eating normally again..I piled it all back on!! Id much rather "diet" the SW way and lose a small amount each week!;)

I agree that nice and steady is the best way. We're all sort of conditioned with a kind of competitive nature... and of course we all want the quick fix. It's normal to have a big drop at the beginning of a diet as our metabolism is used to a different way of life, and we also tend to lose excess water, etc. But after that... 1-2lbs is really all that we should be losing anyway, for a healthy, maintainable weight loss. People with a lot of weight to lose may have bigger losses than people with less to lose also. No two bodies are the same. It's not really fair to compare your losses with another person's as there are a whole raft of circumstances making your bodies behave the way they do.

And it was a good illustration there Taz... 52lbs/3 and half stone. Who would complain about that kind of loss??

1lb is positive step in the right direction. I was stoked last week when I lost 1 pound, after having been stuck for a couple weeks! Totally over the moon!

Back