Only losing 2 pounds (ish) a week now

Sweetpea

Over the last three weeks I have only lost 2.8, 2.6 and 2.1 pounds which is a bit disappointing.

I'm not going to give in - I will carry on - but considering how few calories and carbs there are I just don't understand why the weight loss is so low. Yes, I know I've lost inches but at the rate I am going I will shortly fall below the average CD weight loss of a stone a month. I have not cheated at all.

Before I went on CD I found that if I ate 1000 calories a day I would put weight on and I was hoping that after being on CD my body would somehow have developed a proper metabolism so that I would be able to consume a reasonable amount of calories without putting weight on. I am seriously worried that when I get to the 790 and 1000 plans I won't be able to lose any weight at all and it will take me a lot longer to get to my target.

I can't be the only one in this position surely?

Can I ask If you exercise at all. ie swimming, walking etc

I'm not exercising but mainly because if I exert myself (or even if I walk up the stairs at home only twice in close succession) I tend to be dizzy whilst on CD. Also partly because I understand that exercise can actually cause you to stay the same/put weight on whilst on CD.

That is only if you so muscle building excerise which is not recommended.
If you can go for a walk each day, it will be ok. No need to excert yourself, just gently to start with. You will find after a week you will be able to walk further and a bit faster it can help to move the weight. I'm not talking marathons here just gentle stuff.
always take a bottle of water with you as well.
Or swimming that is good gentle excercise, also helps because the water supports the joints.
Just give it a try this week if you can and you will see a difference.

Id speak to your CDC if your disappointed he/she may suggest AAM to sort things out, it could also depend on what CD products your having bars usually give me low weight loss even if i only have one or two, so maybe re-asses that and id go shopping for new clothes to spur you on, go rushing round the sales, that can get you active and improve weight loss x

i had 3 weeks in a row where i only lost 2 lbs, the next week i lost six. I hadnt cheated or done anything differently, sometimes that is just the way it goes. Try not to get too dissapointed

ive been on 790 for about a month now and ive only lost 2lb per week. i know why it is though, its because ive got complaicant!

im finding that the more my weight decreases and confidence increases...im out every weekend living it up on the vodka and hardly eating a thing!

i really need to get back on track for christmas :p

i have confidence in the diet, if i stick to the programme i will lose weight.

good luck!

That is only if you so muscle building excerise which is not recommended.
If you can go for a walk each day, it will be ok. No need to excert yourself, just gently to start with. You will find after a week you will be able to walk further and a bit faster it can help to move the weight. I'm not talking marathons here just gentle stuff.
always take a bottle of water with you as well.
Or swimming that is good gentle excercise, also helps because the water supports the joints.
Just give it a try this week if you can and you will see a difference.

Thanks - I'll try that and see what happens. I'm actually used to doing lots of walking on a daily basis so won't have any problems with it - but just hadn't got the energy on CD at first and keep going dizzy. I'll start again and see what happens.

Thanks - I'll try that and see what happens. I'm actually used to doing lots of walking on a daily basis so won't have any problems with it - but just hadn't got the energy on CD at first and keep going dizzy. I'll start again and see what happens.

Glads good, just take it steady to start with, keep us posted.

silhouettes - I hope that's what will happen with me too as I think 2 pounds a week could make me get despondent if it carries on for too long.

Opeyx - I don't have the bars very often - I tend to use them at the weekend for lunch if I'm out and about with others but I'll try and cut them out for a week or two and see what happens. I don't want to shop yet as I've just ironed 8 pairs of trousers that I can now get back into (bit too big actually) and plenty of other lovely things that suddenly fit me again. I feel like I've already been on a spree - though I could shop for shoes - a girl can never have too many shoes!

dellymolly - good that you're losing 2 pounds on 790 - I hope I do when I switch up to it when I'm nearer to the BMI target.

Thanks everyone for your advice and comments.

SweetPea;

One thing you need to remember is that as your weight decreases so your weight losses will also decrease. Let me explain as there is a very good reason for this and I will try to remember how it was explained to me.

The key is that the heavier an object is, the more energy it takes to move it from A to B. Therefore, when we are at our heavier weight, we use up more energy (burn more calories) moving ourselves from A to B. As we get lighter, we need less energy to move so we burn less calories in doing so.

This is why most people pile the pounds back on when they stop a diet (any diet) - not only do they not correct the bad habits they have with regard to food, but they go back to taking in their old number of calories. The problem there is that having lost the weight, their BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) - the amount of calories that they need to take in to maintain their weight - is now lower than it was before (remember the moving from A to B idea above). If they go back to their old calorie intake, they will be taking in more excess calories than they were before, so the weight goes back on quicker than before as all excess calories are stored as fat...... To give you an example, my BMR at my old weight was 2700+ calories. My BMR now is just 1670 calories. So, all I need to maintain my weight is 1670 calories if I were to lay in bed all day. Naturally as my activity levels increase, my required calorie intake to maintain weight stability increases. I burn off 1000 calories a day, I can take in an extra 1000 calories a day to maintain. Less if I want to keep losing ....

My point is (after rambling on) is that throughout your weight-loss, your BMR is reducing in line with your weight decrease, so the calorie defecit that you are working on also decreases by the same amount. This means that the rate at which your body burns fat to maintain its energy needs reduces, meaning that your weight loss slows up. You can adjust for this by slowly increasing your activity levels to compensate, burning off extra calories (as above) meaning that you can maintain or increase the calorie defecit.

Sorry to waffle so, but hope this explains why your weigh loss will slow down. And anyway, 2lb a week is still a very good loss!!

Lots of good advice given, so no need really to add anything ~ but just wanted to jump in on this post to say thanks to Steve for his explanations. Put well without all the 'science' jargon, it explains why my weight losses have slowed over time (ok that and not always sticking 100% to the plan :D), and has definately re-enforced my plan to return to the gym and start working out again.

You do need to be careful though with exercise, because it can increase the tendency to retain water - something to do with helping the muscles recover (I don't remember exactly) ....

Be careful - light exercise is all that is needed really.

Thanks Steve for your brilliant explanation. It does figure (and you weren't rambling - it was very informative).

I am now at the weight that I was about 18 months ago prior to putting weight on. I had been 11 stone (ish) for about 3 years so I suppose the weight I have lost easily is the weight I had put on so rapidly over the last 18 months. Your post explains very well why people who are much heavier lose weight at a much faster rate.

So, my actual diet starts now. I need to up my exercise gradually to get rid of the fat now. I read a post somewhere about exercise causing fluid retention and that was one of the other reasons why I hadn't done any but I'm going to start today with a brisk walk to my CDC this evening (about 3 miles away).

Thanks for all your advice - it's much appreciated.

PS Tried to give your post a reputation point but my previous one was to you and it won't allow me to tell you how brill you are until I've complimented someone else.

Thanks for the nice comments :D

I am just happy to share the useful information I have picked up whilst I was initially trimming down from my former 18st 5lbs down to 11st (then the de-trimming to 13st after redundancy) and the subsequent attempts to lost the gained 28 lbs again.

Glad that I could be of help!

Back