Only using half heb? Help

K9KT

Hi I've been doing slimming world for a while and I've got told some conflicting advice just wondered if anyone could help? I got told by a consultant if you only have half your heb then you have to syn it but another said you don't? Confused! For example if i make a scan bran cake but only eat half I'll need to syn that half? Has it got something to do with it has to be a certain amount if fibre to work and help your system? Thanks sorry for rambling :-/

Hey

Unless you made up the rest of the healthy extra with half of another healthy extra, for example 1 slice of bread and 1 alpen light, you would have to syn the half healthy extra that you did have. You can split them like that but I don't know many people who do.

This is what I have been told though - there will probably be other ways of doing it!

The best thing to do is to have the full healthy extra, or syn it if you only have half. I'm not sure how official the splitting thing is!

I've split before, tend to do it on A's more than B's cos I don't alwayys use my milk so will have some cheese. But yes you have to syn if you only use half, if you plan on making up the other half of your healthy extra later then you can get away with having it as healthy extra...its not officially in the SW rules i don't think though.

I just don't wanna eat it for the sake of it and if I make a cake which normally is the only way I eat my scan bran at the moment I'm adding on a lot more calories than I need to. I know SW is not about calories but it's also about not eating when you're not hungry! It must have something to do with fibre and it had to be a certain amount to work. I also have a large appetite and really worry about eating too much, I do loose weight but I stay the same quite a lot cause I think I eat too much do have to restrict myself I bit I think I need to work on portion control because I eat a 1/3 sf and I snack on veggies xx

You could always use something else as your B choice? Something like olive oil? That way you can just slip it into your meal? Or choose something that is a smaller portion, instead of 5 scan brans, have one wholemeal roll? Or 1 kelloggs cereal bar?

Q: Do I have to eat all my Healthy Extras every day?

A: It won't affect your weight loss if you don't take all your Healthy Extra choices. However, the Healthy Extra section is there to ensure a balanced diet, so from a health point of view we recommend that you enjoy all your Healthy Extras each day.

Q: Can I mix and match my Healthy Extras by halving the portions?

A: Yes, if you like - you’ll still lose weight beautifully! The downside is your speed and fibre symbols would have to be ignored unless your two halves had identical symbols. However, mixing and matching couldn't be done when there are multiple items in one choice, e.g. 28g Kellogg's All-Bran 1 Ryvita Multigrain crispbread. With all single item choices, feel free!

To keep the food diary as easy as possible to update, our Healthy Extra drop down lists only allow you to enter a whole Healthy Extra. If you do enjoy two half portions and want to record that, please make an entry in your food diary journal.

from official sw website, Log in, register or sign up - Slimming World

Hey

Unless you made up the rest of the healthy extra with half of another healthy extra, for example 1 slice of bread and 1 alpen light, you would have to syn the half healthy extra that you did have. You can split them like that but I don't know many people who do.

This is what I have been told though - there will probably be other ways of doing it!

The best thing to do is to have the full healthy extra, or syn it if you only have half. I'm not sure how official the splitting thing is!

Pleased to say this is not correct. On the back of a couple of posts on this question i emailed SW HW and they confirmed you do NOT have to syn it if not having the full quoted amount of a healthy extra. Happy to post the reply later when I am at home.

And as for splitting your HEs that is perfectly okay as long as there is only one food item in the HE - so you can split your milk, cheese, bread etc but not porruidge + scan bran beause there are two food items.

Thank you for all your replies! Glad it's cleared up I won't syn my cake if I only have half! Yey! Sorry patchwork puss just to clear up cause I'm a thickie, lol so you can split hea by like having milk and cheese on same day, have I got that right? But you can't split heb unless they are the same sorta thing? I'm confused so could you have half portion of bread and one Alpen light? Sorry to be so thick!! Xx

Sorry to have confused you. This response from earlier explains it well

Q: Can I mix and match my Healthy Extras by halving the portions?

A: Yes, if you like - you’ll still lose weight beautifully! The downside is your speed and fibre symbols would have to be ignored unless your two halves had identical symbols. However, mixing and matching couldn't be done when there are multiple items in one choice, e.g. 28g Kellogg's All-Bran 1 Ryvita Multigrain crispbread. With all single item choices, feel free!

For example where the HEB is 28g porridge plus a scan bran you can't split the HEB because it would be too difficult to split it in half accuratately with there being two things

HTH

phew was starting to panic that i would have to syn stuff. i try my hardest to have my a and b, but occasionaly i forget what i have had.

Great thread!

bumping a good thread!

I messaged my sw lady last week about the same thing! I now spilt my milk and have 1/2 light chedder cheese or 1 mini light babybel when not having hexb as cereal x

I only have 100mls of unsweetened soya milk each day as a HEXA so count is as 1 HEX A on day one and it counts for the next 2. So one HEX A for milk lasts me for 3 days.
Can't see the problem with this.

Aah no thats not allowed sorry - you are not allowed to carry your HEs from one day to another so splitting them really is the best option :)

Looks like I will have to syn it then - give up my Cadburys Highlight drink and have cheese instead for my HExA :D

No, you could do it still. Just have 1/3 HEX A for milk each day then take 2/3 of a HEX A of something else. It's easy because most cheese allowances are 30g now so you can just have 20g cheese every day and then up to 115ml of the unsweetened soya milk.

I asked at my,first class and they said you can't split healthy extras :/ I'm still going to and see what happens if a.lot of others are. I can't choose.between milk in tea or.cheese!

Refer your consultant to the FAQs on the SW website where it clearly says that you can split your healthy extras. They used to say you couldn't but it has changed and some consultants are not up to speed :)

Back