Optifast in UK?

I Shoot Nikons

Hi guys,

I've been reading up on the Newcastle Uni diet for diabetes and was wondering if anyone knows where to get Optifast in the UK? I seem to keep drawing a blank.

Thanks

I'm not sure - you could google it. All VLCDs work in a similar way though and there are lots on here that you could take a look at. I have type 2 diabetes and was on 4 metformin plus another tablet before starting my VLCD. Within 2.5 weeks I was off all diabetes medication - it was shocking! I have now lost over 7.5 stone and am still going strong. There are a few different types of VLCD:

With Group Therapy and weigh in - eg Lighter Life (most expensive because of therapy - 4 packs and no milk or veg £72 per week - lite version with 3 packs and a daily meal £54 per week)

With Counsellor for Weigh In - eg Cambridge (3 packs per day - don't know much about this but I think it's somewhere around £55 per week and may have some version with a meal)

With pharmacy for weigh in - Lipotrim - don't know much about this

From Internet So Self Weigh - eg Slim and Save (4 packs per day (around £120 for 4 weeks), or 3 packs and a meal, or 5 packs for men - allowed some veggies and milk) or Exante (don't know much about that one either)

There are others too. You could pop into the specific diet forums and ask questions in there if you might be interested in one of those. Important thinks to understand is the range of food packs, what people think of the food packs and the service they get. You will lose a similar amount of weight no matter which VLCD you do as they all work in the same way.

Thank you so much for such an in depth reply. I will be sure to have a wee read through the other VLCD forums. Very well done on your brilliant results!! I'm in the same boat you were; 4 Metformin and 1 Pioglitazone and would love to get off them asap!

The study published last June was one of the main reasons that I started doing this. It has made such a huge difference to my health! One word of warning - your blood sugar may drop quickly and whichever plan you choose I would suggest that you need to be medically supervised. I go to see my diabetic nurse every 4 weeks and at the start of the programme I was measuring my blood sugar 2 hours after every pack. I don't bother now as it's always fine but early on your medication could make your sugar too low if you don't keep on top of it.

By the way - I like photography and own a few Nikons - I'm guessing from your forum name that you do too...

The study published last June was one of the main reasons that I started doing this. It has made such a huge difference to my health! One word of warning - your blood sugar may drop quickly and whichever plan you choose I would suggest that you need to be medically supervised. I go to see my diabetic nurse every 4 weeks and at the start of the programme I was measuring my blood sugar 2 hours after every pack. I don't bother now as it's always fine but early on your medication could make your sugar too low if you don't keep on top of it.

That's a good point. I'm seeing my GP next week, so I will talk through it with him first. Hopefully he'll get on board!

By the way - I like photography and own a few Nikons - I'm guessing from your forum name that you do too...

It's my biggest love in life. Sadly I don't get out much these days. :( Always nice to meet a fellow Nikonian though! :)

The Superdrug in Mortlake stocks them. Other Superdrugs might do as well. Nutritionally they are similar to Exante, but with many more varieties. They are more expensive.

Back