Origins of words and phrases...

Also crap comes from Thomas crapper who invented the toilet. Sorry...lowering the tone!

Lmao! That one made me laugh :giggle:

Here's a good one:

The term "rule of thumb" comes from an old English law that said it was illegal to beat your wife with anything wider than your thumb.

My friend once sent an E-mail round with "interesting facts". I liked this one...

It was the accepted practice in Babylon 4,000 years ago that for a month after the wedding, the bride's father would supply his son-in-law with all the mead he could drink. Mead is a honey beer and because their calendar was lunar based, this period was called the honey month - which we know today as the honeymoon.

I haven't posted for a few days, oops!

My phrase for today is 'eat humble pie'...

During the Middle Ages, the lord of a manor would hold a feast after hunting. He would receive the finest cut of meat at the feast, but those of a lower standing were served a pie filled with the entrails and innards, known as “umbles.” Therefore, receiving “umble pie” was considered humiliating because it informed others in attendance of the guest’s lower status.

'Put a sock in it' - In the late 19th & early 20th century, gramaphones were used for recordings but with no way of controlling the volume at which the sound was amplified, people took to stuffing the horn with a large woollen sock. The phrase then became commonly used to tell people to shut up or stop making so much noise.

Back