Orlistat available without precription

I wouldn't take them, the side effects sound horrendous, never mind any long term side effects that might not have been discovered yet. If you follow the sw plan you're going to lose weight, so why bother putting possibly dangerous chemicals in your body.

I've been on these since April 2008 and have had no side effects whatsoever. I've stuck to a low fat/high carb diet, and exercise regularly. I wouldn't buy these tablets over the counter though. For 2 reasons..I get my prescription every 4 weeks from my dr, this involves being weighed and having a good chat with my dr about how things are going, so I feel I'm being properly supervised whilst taking the tablets. And 2, £1.50 a day?? I pay £5 for my months prescription :)

I totally agree with you, i think that something like orlistat requires to have regular contact with gp. they can monitor everything. Well done on your weightloss, you have done amazing so far. it is good to hear that there are people who have not been affected by the horrible side effects.

I wouldn't take them, the side effects sound horrendous, never mind any long term side effects that might not have been discovered yet. If you follow the sw plan you're going to lose weight, so why bother putting possibly dangerous chemicals in your body.

I do agree with you to a certain extent, but I think we all have to do what works for us. We are all here following different weight loss paths, some by SW and WW, some by VCDL, some by surgery and some with anti obesity drugs. I think also it depends on how much you have to lose and if you are really mentally prepared to follow your weight loss journey to its fruition.
x

I already follow a low fat diet so I don't really see how these pills could help me. One of my colleagues was prescribed these a couple of years ago and lost loads of weight, but he's gained it all back after coming off them.

I've been on these since April 2008 and have had no side effects whatsoever. I've stuck to a low fat/high carb diet, and exercise regularly. I wouldn't buy these tablets over the counter though. For 2 reasons..I get my prescription every 4 weeks from my dr, this involves being weighed and having a good chat with my dr about how things are going, so I feel I'm being properly supervised whilst taking the tablets. And 2, £1.50 a day?? I pay £5 for my months prescription :)

If youre sticking to a low fat diet and exercising regularly do you not think youd have lost the weight regardless? Do you think the tablets have helped with the weight loss or more kept you on the straight and narrow, due to the fear of side effects??

If youre sticking to a low fat diet and exercising regularly do you not think youd have lost the weight regardless? Do you think the tablets have helped with the weight loss or more kept you on the straight and narrow, due to the fear of side effects??

It's only since I started the tablets, did I also start on a low fat/high carb diet. I had previously been referred to the Glasgow Weight Management service and with their help I initially lost about 1 stone. However I was also a binge eater, and for me that's where the Orlistat has really helped me. The absolute fear of if I binge ate what would happen was enough for me to stop bingeing. Because of that, I was also able to *step back* and look at the reasons for my binge eating.
The tablets definately helped with my weight loss at first, and definately helped me to see that the changes I have made are not those of a *diet* but of a complete lifestyle change. At the moment they probably are keeping me on the straight and narrow. I have an appointment with my Dr on Monday, ( I've seen her every 4 weeks since I started the tablets), and I'm going to broach the subject with her of stopping the tablets as I'm now having a steady weight loss of about 1 lb per week.
I have no intention of going back to my old eating habits, I've worked to hard too lose what I have so far, and while yes the tablets have helped, there's no denying that, they only aid your weight loss, you still need to make the changes in your life.
x

Starlight I was in the USA a couple of years ago, staying with my aunt, and one day we went to Costco ( as you do :D ) and they were selling Alli/Orlistat there. Great big display of it, was $60 for I think a 45 day supply, and I was very nearly tempted to buy it. But I didn't, I would much rather have done it the way I have, with the support of my GP. Plus I felt if I did take them behind my GPs' back, she would give me into trouble lol
For me its still a drug, and it should be used only in conjunction with monitoring from either your GP or say your practice nurse. It's not a miracle cure, it's not for everyone, and I honestly think selling it over the counter is the wrong thing to do.
x

Well I'd never heard of this until today, but wouldn't have considered it. I always worry with these things what might be in them & having read all your posts...with the odd exception, about the side effects, there is absolutely no way I would consider them now!!

Losing weight should be about being happy with yourself & proud of your efforts, not constantly worrying where the nearest toilet is all the time as a concequence!!

I was also thinking too that lots of people who buy these may not know what a very low fat diet means. I am not saying that these people are stupid by any means but if you have never dieted before then it may be a little harder. E.g my aunt put on a lot of weight after her kids, she never had to diet previously before and she said she was healthy eating, and when she was telling me what she was eating (full fat yoghurts, whole milk,etc) i told her that maybe she wants to move to low fat and semi skimmed as she may not have results. She looked at me as though i was daft and said i am eating healthy foods so i will lose weight. She was using butter all the time too and said that she wouldn't be stopping that either. So i just mean that if she decided to buy these, then all the fat would just come right through her. What i'm trying to say is that you need to be educated by a gp or even a nurse when taking these tablets so that they can monitor.

I am not trying to be 'miss know it all' as before i had ever been to a class and tried to diet on my own i though jacket potatoes filled with things like tuna mayo with salad and dressing was healthy. It wasn't until i was educated in healthy eating by my first class i realised that i really had no idea about dieting.

Theres also a misconception that these tablets are basically a 'poo yourself thin' diet. How many people will buy them thinking they can happily go on eating the junk they do just now and still lose 50% of their weight.

AND how many will be totally unaware of the side effects?? At least on prescription the doctor makes you very aware of them... few people probably read the bumpf that comes with tablets.

I wouldn't consider taking these, prescribed or not. Like someone else already said, I got myself to this size, I'll get myself down again.

Are the side effects that bad? Like, I'm getting the impression that as well as constant 'anal leakage', that people are also risking faecal incontinence. Is it really that bad? F*ck that! lol

Back