Dismiss Notice
Welcome to MiniMins! Be sure to check out our complete listing of diets on the front page including Slimming World, Exante, Weight Watchers, Cambridge Weight Plan, Herbalife, and hundreds more.

OT-Any careers advisors/teachers/lsa's/ta's? need advice

Discussion in 'Weight Watchers' started by .Nicki., 18 August 2010 Social URL.

1. .Nicki.

.Nicki. Minimin Addict

As i'm trying to take control on my diet, i thought i may as well sort the rest of my life out, debts are being sorted now so i've spent the last few days thinking about what i want to do with my life, spent the last 2 years thinking i'm too old and stupid to do anything but i'm not, i'm only 25 theres loads i could do and i certainly don't want to be a call centre bod in 10 years time. Babies are on hold for a few years so makes sense i do something now, i want to get some qualifications as i only have NVQ 2/GCSE's which are the same level apparently. I 'think' i want to be a teacher, its something i always wanted to do as a child but i'm a little indecisive :whistle: So my choices are doing a degree with open uni (BA hons Childhood and youth studies) which is good but a long and expensive process, i'd have to stay where i work and volunteer in a school at the same time. My other option is do a distance course (BTEC teaching assistant) for a year then try and get into a school where i could do my degree if i wanted to or train and get qualifications as a teachers assistant, this seems to be the better option, i'm just worried about making the wrong choice. What are my best options?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. *Shanny*

*Shanny* Gold Member

Hi i work in a school with special needs children, i would say is to start a BTEC teaching Assistant course first do your placements etc.!
    Then a 2 year course on the BA course then your PGCE??
    there are a few routes you can take but the way i started was nvq 2,3 foundation degree, then BA and so on.! And the school i did my foundation degree kept me on permantly which ment that the school paid towards my course, a good way to get your foot in the door.!

Good luck you can do it follow your dreams 'lifes too short'
    Im 27 years old now x

Last edited: 18 August 2010
  4. pinkyfluff

pinkyfluff Grappling with life

Diet:
    slimming world
    Just wanted to wish you luck in this, I am trying to get "back" into administration/clerical work which I gave up 10 years ago to have my son. No mean feat as things change so quickly!

Best of luck to you- go chase your dreams!

5. Shabba

Shabba Loves the Nom Nom!!!

Start Weight:
    14st11lb
    Current Weight:
    13st0.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st10.5lb(11.84%)
    Diet:
    Weight Watchers PP
    Im currently with the OU and it is worth it. Im trying to become a teacher as well but im getting my English degree then going for a PGCE after. That is if i dont get into uni which im also applying for.
    The OU means i can still work and earn money and get my degree at the same time, im worried it will take a long time but you can do more than 1 course at the same time if you want so can be quicker!

6. .Nicki.

.Nicki. Minimin Addict

Thanks for the responses, Shabba i started the English degree about 3 years ago with the OU but i couldn't get past level one, because although i love English i'm pants with art and music and the first course was based on all of them. I've looked today and they've scrapped the course i did and the replacement (arts past and present) looks managable for me. I would love to try again but hubbs isn't keen because i failed the first course. How far into the degree are you? are you enjoying it?

7. Shabba

Start Weight:
    14st11lb
    Current Weight:
    13st0.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st10.5lb(11.84%)
    Diet:
    Weight Watchers PP
    Funnily enough im doing AA100, the arts past and present. :giggle:

I wont lie its hard, but so rewarding. Im no art buff but i've loved it. I wont get the chance to play with art again so i have risked it, and although i was afraid i got good marks!
    I found out im good at philosophy and anything that has written evidence, but i cant read art, but as there were more than 1 choice on each assignment it didnt matter to me!

I will be finished on the 1st October when my final assignment goes in but i havent got a break because me next one starts on the 2nd October!!! :eek: This is my first year on the english degree, i did W100, introduction to law, last year and decided a law degree wasnt me.

I have been to the day school's and met people who are on their last year but saved this for last and are having a nice easy ride lol

8. .Nicki.

.Nicki. Minimin Addict

Its good your enjoying it and getting good marks, i wish i could do the English degree with out doing that one but looks like i'm going to have to. Sounds like a much better course then the one i first attempted, if i can get the money together i'm going to start in October. But i think i'm going to have to wait in Feb and start level 2's next october.

9. Shabba

Start Weight:
    14st11lb
    Current Weight:
    13st0.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st10.5lb(11.84%)
    Diet:
    Weight Watchers PP
    They are supposedly removing Feb starts in the next few years, we had an e-mail giving us the details of what courses are ending etc and they say students work harder over winter! :rolleyes: Ill be in line with it after this one though

10. IreneH

IreneH Gold Member

Diet:
    WW
    I did an Open University degree then did a PGCE and went into teaching.

Why not make an appointment with either a local college or the OU and see what they suggest.

Irene xx

11. .Nicki.

.Nicki. Minimin Addict

Eek well i've taken the plunge and signed up to AA100, Hubbs paid the fee for me so i can pay him back and then save for the next one (fingers crossed) I just have to wait 10 days to see if my registrations been accepted. Bit worried they'll say no because i failed the first time. I spoke to teacher friend of hubbs and she thinks OU is the best option, i'm hoping now i've got a bit more support i'll do better. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

12. Shabba

Start Weight:
    14st11lb
    Current Weight:
    13st0.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st10.5lb(11.84%)
    Diet:
    Weight Watchers PP
    they shouldnt have a problem letting you in! :)
    My biggest tip is because it is such a huge course, look at the assignment questions and work around those!! You dont need to do everything on the course :)
    And go to day schools if you can, they are brilliant!

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.