Overeating, like drugs, alters brain

Hi Lynella, I can't do it again either, I have tried but I can't get past day 3!!!! I think my problem is that I KNOW it works and works quickly so in the back of my mind I'm thinking well I can start this anytime and it'll work so it doesn't matter if i slip up today......which is why i'm trying hypnosis, cos I know my mind is my biggest enemy in this journey, if I can get my mind right (or as right as it can get LOL) then I hope I'll be able to manage things better :)

Hi Lynella, I can't do it again either, I have tried but I can't get past day 3!!!! I think my problem is that I KNOW it works and works quickly so in the back of my mind I'm thinking well I can start this anytime and it'll work so it doesn't matter if i slip up today......which is why i'm trying hypnosis, cos I know my mind is my biggest enemy in this journey, if I can get my mind right (or as right as it can get LOL) then I hope I'll be able to manage things better :)

My thoughts exactly. The bbc3 docu 'fix my fat head' struck a cord. the girl on it was trying different diets etc and said it was her mind needed fixing. are you having a one to one sesh with hypno? I think that'd work better for me than listening to a cd.

I'd be interested to know how you get on at the hypnotherapists, big-girl.

It's funny how our mind can be a powerful tool to stop us doing something that we apparently want to do so much. What's going on there? Frustrating.

I can so relate to this and I don't feel guilty making the comparison. The only other prior addiction I can personally claim is nicotine, but I've also had close-up experience of alcohol, cocaine and ketamine addictions (as well as "lesser" drugs) through several family and friends, and I'm convinced that to a point similar mechanisms are at work with food. If anything, I've occasionally felt slightly bitter that I don't have the option to go cold turkey, as the substance I abuse, have been emotionally dependant on and has most definitely affected my social functioning more times than I can remember is absolutely essential to my survival :p A childish and petty thought, and not one I've ever been proud of whenever it's reared it's head. But it is true - we don't have the option of total abstinence, or of removing ourselves from a life and set of friends who promote a particular damaging lifestyle.

So it's a different battle, but I reckon still a winnable one ;) Strength and confidence to all! xxx

My thoughts exactly. The bbc3 docu 'fix my fat head' struck a cord. the girl on it was trying different diets etc and said it was her mind needed fixing. are you having a one to one sesh with hypno? I think that'd work better for me than listening to a cd.

Hi Lynella, sorry its taken a while to get back to you but I got completely snowed under and didn't have time to get back to the site.....I'm not having one to one with hypno, i think that would work better but am not good around strangers and don't like feeling that someone else has control of me, i have big trust issues due to childhood abuse, so to have someone in the same room as me while i may/may not be fully aware of whats going on is a big no no, just the thought of doing the cd's is hard enough knowing that i might not be fully aware of what happens in those 20 or so minutes, but at least i can do it when i'm alone in the house ;)

I'd be interested to know how you get on at the hypnotherapists, big-girl.

It's funny how our mind can be a powerful tool to stop us doing something that we apparently want to do so much. What's going on there? Frustrating.

I know why my mind stops me :) i think there really is only about 10-20% of my mind that wants to be thin/thinner.......my weight is my protection, always has been and the urge to keep myself safe is far far stronger than the urge to be thin........all comes from childhood abuse and have had years of therapy to come to terms with it all but i just can't let go of the fact that my weight keeps everyone away from me, which in turn keeps me safe from harm.....totally screwy but my reality right now:rolleyes:

I can so relate to this and I don't feel guilty making the comparison. The only other prior addiction I can personally claim is nicotine, but I've also had close-up experience of alcohol, cocaine and ketamine addictions (as well as "lesser" drugs) through several family and friends, and I'm convinced that to a point similar mechanisms are at work with food. If anything, I've occasionally felt slightly bitter that I don't have the option to go cold turkey, as the substance I abuse, have been emotionally dependant on and has most definitely affected my social functioning more times than I can remember is absolutely essential to my survival :p A childish and petty thought, and not one I've ever been proud of whenever it's reared it's head. But it is true - we don't have the option of total abstinence, or of removing ourselves from a life and set of friends who promote a particular damaging lifestyle.

So it's a different battle, but I reckon still a winnable one ;) Strength and confidence to all! xxx

can so understand all that you say.......and yep, one that is winnable :)

The great thing I found about a liquid diet (no food) was that is was a relief to be away from food. I loved ketosis too, a wonderful high.

I was just thinking the other night I never got the "energy rush" on ketosis other people have mentioned but I liked not having to make decisions on when, what and how much to eat.

Back