Pain in lower chest/upper abdomen

Carthago delenda est

Silver Member
Hi guys,

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I've had an extremely uncomfortable dull ache in my lower chest/upper abdomen for about the past hour now. It sort of fades away then comes back and radiates up the middle towards my throat. I've had this three times since I've started SW and am wondering if the two are related.

I've never really had anything like this before and am a bit worried. Of course, I'll be booking a doctor's appointment tomorrow, but I'm wondering whether anyone else has ever has anything like it or had any idea what it might be.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry you're feeling bad! Call NHS Direct tonight to get some answers, go see your doctor tomorrow.

Wouldn't want to chance any suggestions, but could it have to do with digestion problems?

Hope you feel better!

Thanks for the reply. Sorry, should have mentioned that I've called NHS Direct already and they said to take some paracetamol then see my doctor in the morning, however, I don't have any soluble paracetamol, I can't take tablets and I'm not allowed to crush them so I'm at a loss on that front until tomorrow, if it lasts that long - I hope not!

Sounds like heartburn, but please see your doctor as soon as possible and if you feel any worse tonight call NHS 24.

Thanks, just had a chat to my mum. She's informed me that heartburn doesn't actually burn...is this true? I assumed it wasn't heartburn as there is no burning sensation, but if this is not the case, then perhaps this is what I have, in which case I am quite relieved.

I will still go to my doctor and will call NHS Direct back if it gets any worse.

By the way, what causes heartburn?

I would say indegestion too, but I aren't a doctor, I sufer when I have had tomatoes, like you say right between by boobs but towards the bottom, if that makes sense, enough to take your breath away, try some rennies, if not have you maybe pulled yourself, have you been doing excersise? Panicking sometimes makes it a bit worse, I tend to go have a really warm shower and breath in the steam, crazy but it works and is relaxing too, but like the other said, if you are worried and it gets any worse ring up NHS direct again, that is what they are there for, take care, Emma xxx

Symptoms of indigestion

If you have indigestion you may have the following symptoms:
  • pain, fullness or discomfort in the upper part of your abdomen or chest
  • heartburn
  • loss of appetite
  • feeling sick
  • flatulence (gas passed from your rectum), burping or belching
It could be indigestion/heartburn hun. When I was in uni I had a particularly bad attack of indigestion (I'd never had one before) and it felt like something was crushing my chest, and I couldn't breathe! I convinced myself that I was having a heart attack (hypochondriac, moi?! ;)) but it went eventually after lying down for a bit. I'd gobbled my food too quickly - oops! xx

yeah i eat heartburn when I scoff my food in a hurry :( and if you take indigestion tabs regularly they have chalk in and they absorb your poo which causes constipation, not fair!!!

The others are probably right, but do go and see your doctor to make absolutely sure and to put your mind at rest.

About ten years ago, I thought I had indigestion - and it wasn't! Don't want to worry you, just to encourage you to get it checked.

How you feeling?

Hi guys, I'm OK thanks. Haven't been able to get an appointment with the doctor yet unfortunately, but when I do, I'll let you know what they say :)

Aww, thanks so much for your concern and support guys :)

Are you feeling better hun? Or is it still there x

I am feeling better thanks, it's not there now which is great! But I'm still concerned as that was the third time in about two months.

Thanks so much for asking :)

Glad you feel better now. Definately try and get an appointment, even if it is indigestion or heartburn at least it will give you peace of mind

Are you O.K.???

hiya well i get this all the time and first time i thought i was having a heart attack.

its trapped wind trust me it might sound stupid but trapped wind can get in such werid places and hurts like hell.
i get it in my back chest neck throat.

i suffer from bad heartburn on a daily basis and am on medication from doctor for it i think the pain your talking about aint heartburn.

its still better to go docs at get your mind put at rest hun.

best think i take for it is andrews liver salts 1 tsp in a glass of water or windezze tablets.

Back