Pastry Advice

Auburn

x x x
Yes, I know... Pastry - The dietters worst enemy...

I have a recipe that I want to try, which uses puff pastry. Basically, it's a lamb pasty :)

If I use the ready made pastry, the dish works out at 590 calories, 5g sat.fat, and 9.5 weightwatchers points.

I'm happy to [try and] make my own pastry, if it could be better diet-wise. I was wondering, does anyone know if I could use low-fat baking stuff instead of butter, or would it not work right?

It's a special occasion, I'm happy to take the hit if needs be...!

i have a low fat short crust pastry recipe....
LIGHT PIE CRUST

- fits the bottom of a 9" pie plate

1 cup flour
3 1/2 Tbsp. ice water
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. vegetable shortening (i.e. Crisco, stork)

Combine 1/4 cup flour and ice water, stirring until well blended. Set aside. Combine remaining four with sugar and salt. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles meal. Add ice water mixture. Blend until dry ingredients are moistened. Press the dough into a 4 inch circle on waxed paper or plastic wrap. Cover with another piece of waxed paper or plastic wrap. Roll covered dough into an 11 inch circle. Chill at least 10 minutes or until the paper or wrap can be removed. Coat a 9" pie plate with cooking spray. Remove top sheet of paper or wrap from the dough. Invert into the pie pan. Remove bottom sheet of paper or wrap. Pat down into the pie pan, trying to not warm up the dough. Fold the upper edges of the dough and flute the edge (pinching works fine). Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Cool and fill the pie shell.

1/8 of crust = 2 POINTS

Back