PCOS after menopause

southwestgirl

Hi all - I have only recently been diagnosed with PCOS although I think I've had it for a long time. I've been struggling with my weight, had problems with acne, endometriosis, and high blood pressure for many years - and very light/irregular periods until I had an early meno following a hyst. Really pleased to find this forum. :)

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info around on PCOS after meno so I was just wondering if there is anyone else out there in this situation, or if anyone has any general advice.

I have about 35 lb to lose before I get into the green zone on the BMI charts, and it is going sooo slowly. :mad: But I am not giving up! I am just fed up with being too big.

At the moment doing Exante (am on meds for high bp) but I am thinking that maybe the carb level is too high for me? Any thoughts appreciated.

I was only thinking abou this last night.I am 55,had a hyst , but last time I had an ulta sound scan the woman couldn't find my ovaries as they shrivel up and disappear as you get older !! does this mean I haven't got PCOS any more ????
I have acne,greasy hair and hairy face!! weight sticks if I even look at food and I have 5 stone to lose.Have just abandoned cambridge as it was too damn hard living on sachets.Also, thinking that carbs and PCOS are lethal, going back to atkins diet.Too many carbs in Cambridge diet for my liking really.
Just my thoughts,what do you think?
B.x

Yes, I think it is the carbs. On Exante it is 55 grams per day plus whatever is in the meal you choose, I think I need to have less than 25 total..... it is the insulin resistance I am sure - alternative is to take metformin but I would rather manage this with diet if poss,

I do def have PCOS, had some surgery about 6 months ago (unrelated) and the surgeon was a bit surprised that I didn't know I had polycystic ovaries. I knew I had all the rest, but I didn't know that, not having xray vision, and doc says that as I am past meno then it won't be troubling me so much. Hah, yes it is. The weight issue just gets worse and worse.

Sounds like you've got similar issues to me. And I am 55 too.

Cambridge is 30-33 grams carb per day am I right? I think I'd rather have real (carb free)food, know exactly what you mean about living on sachets.

Yeah ,sounds familiar.I was diagnosed years ago and my doc thought by putting me on hrt it would help.I just gained more weight.Never been on Met but don't fancy it either unless it reduces weight ??
carbs are such a pain.I was on 4 sachets of cambridge- 12,5 gms carbs approx each ,so near 50 carbs.Best to stay under 20 for us I think.Will be glad to get back on the atkins-at least you can eat !! I'll be taking a multi vit and some fibre food called Lepicol to stop the dreaded constipation from atkins.
If you are on Exante the carbs may be too high - just my opinion !!
stay in touch :)
B.x

I think you are right about Exante, it is just too high in carbs. I've been keeping to 25 grams a day for a bit now, and finally the weight is drifting down again. I've now lost a total of 7 lb, it has taken me 8 weeks. Kind of slow......

Hi, am back on Atkins and can eat !! have lost five pounds so far and very happy.
seven pounds in 8 weeks is very slow but well done for keeping at it !keep me posted.
B.

I seem to be stuck on a plateau (took 3 tries to spell that!) it is rather frustrating. I am writing down everything I eat and sticking rigidly to less than 25 grams of carb a day. Yesterday I realised that I have probably not been drinking enough water, am hoping that upping my water intake is going to help.

Have given up with Exante, you won't be surprised to hear. Low carb is the way to go, definitely. And I have noticed that my skin is a bit better now, too.

Well done you for the 5lb loss, that was quick!

My skin always massively improves on the low carb diet .Yes the 5 pounds was quick but it will soon drop now and I will have to keep plodding on with exercising and making do with low sugar jelly and cream for my sweet tooth.I got some ketostix to test for ketosis , it is showing pink at last.
I think you did the right thing binning the Exante diet, in theory it sounds great, like the C.diet , but I really believe these massive weight losses are impending trouble when people try to start eating anywhere near normal.
I saw a pic of Rose
anne Barr ( from the Roseanne prog with John Goodman ) she had a bypass op and she is still fat .Makes you wonder how we ever stay slim or anywhere near it once we pass our 30's.
B.

Yes yes yes another two pounds down! It has been so long since the scales have moved, I was beginning to think that I was stuck forever. Key for me is definitely staying below 25 grams of carbs otherwise I gain weight.

My husband is fine with anything up to 60 grams of carb we have found, he's lost nearly a stone in the last 4 weeks. Guess that's exactly what the difference is with not being insulin resistant....

Interesting about the bypass thing, I could not contemplate that.

Hope all is going well with you.

Yes yes yes another two pounds down! It has been so long since the scales have moved, I was beginning to think that I was stuck forever. Key for me is definitely staying below 25 grams of carbs otherwise I gain weight.

My husband is fine with anything up to 60 grams of carb we have found, he's lost nearly a stone in the last 4 weeks. Guess that's exactly what the difference is with not being insulin resistant....

Interesting about the bypass thing, I could not contemplate that.

Hope all is going well with you.

Oh dear.I'm afraid my diet has disappeared.I had a terrible couple of days with pain in my tum , due to trying to digest pork chops I think, so I'm afraid I'm no help.I've been eating sandwiches and all kinds- anything to get my tum back to normal.Daren't get weighed now.I had an awful migraine today so my plan to tackle more exercise has been abadoned too.All hopes are for you now!!! hope you have better luck than me.Keep posting and I will post when I get back on track.
B.x

Oh no! How nasty for you, I do hope you feel better soon. Migraines are horrible.

I am still sticking with the low carb, it is actually quite easy because my husband is dieting with me, so we have no carbs in the house. A sandwich is just not possible! However the weight is stuck again..... no surprises there. It is going to be slow progress all the way, I think.

I'm trying natural progesterone cream at the moment, had heard it can help with PCOS symptoms. I had been still getting hot flushes, this stuff does seem to help. I just wish it would help me lose weight too.

southwestgirl said:
Oh no! How nasty for you, I do hope you feel better soon. Migraines are horrible.

I am still sticking with the low carb, it is actually quite easy because my husband is dieting with me, so we have no carbs in the house. A sandwich is just not possible! However the weight is stuck again..... no surprises there. It is going to be slow progress all the way, I think.

I'm trying natural progesterone cream at the moment, had heard it can help with PCOS symptoms. I had been still getting hot flushes, this stuff does seem to help. I just wish it would help me lose weight too.

What cream is that then? Has it worked for you?

I'm using Wellsprings Serenity, have been using it for about 6 weeks now, just finished the first pot. It has dealt with the hot flushes, at least, and my skin is feeling improved too. No sudden miraculous changes, but there you go - am just sticking with it. It is also supposed to help with osteoporosis which is something of a concern for me as it runs in the family.

Hi S/W girl , have been in hosp. I may need an op so MUST lose 3 stones at least.Have joined a gym and am just eating healthy- no diet !! fruit, yogurt , lean meat and fish.Will let you know how I get on !!Good luck with the wellsprings.
B.x

Good morning! I do hope you are feeling better. I bet it is good to be home again.

Very impressed with the gym membership! - I can't cope with that unfortunately, as I cannot sit I cannot use most of the machines, and not allowed to use weights. So I just stick with walking. I wish there was a quick fix!

Hope the exercise and eating plan goes well for you, look forward to hearing your progress.

Back