PCOS issues with SW

Luthien

Hey :)
I'm new to this forum.
I'm 21 but have suffered from PCOS since I was 11/12.
Never had an issue with my weight - until I was 19 I weighed 90-95lb
Always had really bad skin.
Gained 100lb when I was 20 in under a year.
Lost 1.5 stone on my own
Now I'm on SW.
Getting married in October, and while I can now see that 90lb was too skinny I do NOT want to be 170lb.

Basically - I'm having some PCOS related issues with SW.
I can't follow original as I am vegetarian.
I have issues with dairy thanks to the PCOS, it causes really horrible spots (pretty much boils. Huge red painful lumps all over my face and back)and dairy is seemingly mandatory on SW.
I have Arla lacto free and am OK with that, I have even had good skin since using it, but it's not "low fat" and most of the SW recipe's use "low fat" cheese/ cottage cheese etc.
I've been using non lacto-free low fat options, but my skin is really suffering for it - I'm covered in painful spots again after 2 weeks.

Thing is I am losing weight with it and SW seems to be the diet for me - so should I just put up with the bad skin, or should I use my lacto free cheese etc but in smaller quantities?

Anyone got any good recipes for SW which don't use any dairy or meat? I've been living off fruit and jacket potatoes to try and save my skin, and it's getting a bit boring haha

Missy green on here is vege and has PCOS so it might be worth looking at her diary, good luck with it all!x

Actually thinking about it not sure if she has PCOS but I know she is trying to conceive. Definelty check it out anyway x

I do SW and have lost 4 stone since April last year. I don't have PCOS (that I know of yet!) but I do have as yet undiagnosed fertility problems and am losing weight for treatment. I'm also a veggie so hopefully I can help!

If the dairy is a problem, you can use Lactofree cheese and milk as a HEXA as well as various soya milks. You can adapt pretty much any recipe to be dairy free if you need to, you can even make cheesecakes and quiches using tofu. I use a lot of vegan cookbooks and they're brilliant for variety and most of the recipes can be adapted. I don't often use SW recipes, I just make recipes I like the look of SW friendly.

Hope that helps? If you need and other ideas you are welcome to check out my diary (link in sig below) Xxx

Edit - forgot to mention, you can do original as a veggie! It's not as easy as it is for meat eaters but it can be done. Or you can do green and restrict your carbs, which is very easy to do.

Thank you for all the help - I've really settled in to this now, and although sticking rigidly to the plan I lose a max of 2lb a week I haven't had a gain yet
I had the "barley and butternut squash hot pot" from the website for dinner this evening and it's really nice.
Also been using Arla a lot. I can't find "lacto free cottage cheese" etc so just have to count the syns and use a lacto (but not fat) free alternative or deal with a poorly tummy. It's amazing what I'm putting up with to lose weight now my wedding is getting closer ;)
Also found out that loads of quorn ingredients are free foods.
Slimming world is amazing :D
Good luck with your treatment Missy.

I am PCOS, and have lost 1 st with SW since I started!

Breakfast involves Soya milk for me -but not because I'm lactose intolerant. My husband is, and I don't care much for milk. Dairy isn't required, but calcium has been proven to help with weight loss, so that is why they include it. Soy milk is calcium fortified.

However, maybe try another kind of cheese? My husband who is severly lactose intolerant can take sheeps milk or goat's milk cheese. These are different from cow's milk. I hope that helps!

Back