PCOS & Metformin

Hiya

I have PCOS and am 22 and overweight. I'm quite lucky in that I don't have the major symptoms of PCOS however don't think I have ever had regular periods and haven't had one for the last 2 years (ever!) it's a horrible thought. I actually find myself getting jealous of people moaning about their TOTM. Please tell me I'm not the only one who feels like that?

Anyway someone I know who also has PCOS was recently started on metformin and they have started getting a bit of normality back and have actually started loosing quite a bit of weight. Has this helped anyone else? Would be soo grateful for your opinions and views

Ally xxx

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Metformin is good, I've taken it for years now. It's actualy diabetes medication but makes women with pcos ovulate.
It can cause a dodgy tummy, but usually is ok when your body gets used to it. You should try it, your young but at some point you'll want to start a family and would be better if you had regular periods, it also helps with weight and once weight goes down symptoms get better too.

Karen27 said:
Metformin is good, I've taken it for years now. It's actualy diabetes medication but makes women with pcos ovulate.
It can cause a dodgy tummy, but usually is ok when your body gets used to it. You should try it, your young but at some point you'll want to start a family and would be better if you had regular periods, it also helps with weight and once weight goes down symptoms get better too.

How much weight have you lost whilst taking metformin? x

Well when I first took it, I lost about 3 st, but I also took dianette pill. Those two together sorted me out. But now I only take metformin, my body Is very used to it now so my weight goes up and down. Although when I don't take it I notice that I get puffy and mote water retention.
You should try sort yourself out while your young. Metformin def works on regulating your periods.

Karen27 said:
Well when I first took it, I lost about 3 st, but I also took dianette pill. Those two together sorted me out. But now I only take metformin, my body Is very used to it now so my weight goes up and down. Although when I don't take it I notice that I get puffy and mote water retention.
You should try sort yourself out while your young. Metformin def works on regulating your periods.

I've read that it hasn't worked for some people? I hope it does because I feel really unwomanly without periods and just not normal.. I'd give anything to have them :/ x

Nothing works for everyone. Go talk to your doc, it's not a miracle drug, but it helps, let us know how it goes.

I took it for a while when I was about 18 and hadn't had a TOTM for over 2 years (very overweight). After a few months I saw a different gynaecologist who was shocked I was on it as I wasn't trying to conceive. Very odd. I haven't taken it since but I lost about 5st and my periods came back.

I did remember it made me a little ill the first few days. My mum is on it now for diabetes and said it made her a little ill too- not very ill, just a bit sicky-feeling.

MiniMoosh said:
I took it for a while when I was about 18 and hadn't had a TOTM for over 2 years (very overweight). After a few months I saw a different gynaecologist who was shocked I was on it as I wasn't trying to conceive. Very odd. I haven't taken it since but I lost about 5st and my periods came back.

I did remember it made me a little ill the first few days. My mum is on it now for diabetes and said it made her a little ill too- not very ill, just a bit sicky-feeling.

Did your periods not regulate when you were on metformin?

Did your periods not regulate when you were on metformin?

No, they didn't come back. At that point I was about 20st at 5'2" so I was told it was the weight. Thats why the gynea was confused about it, they were doing nothing at all for me as no one had told me that losing the weight would help! As soon as someone told me losing weight would help I started trying to lose.

Hi! Im 23 and was diagnosed with PCOS about 6months ago.
I am also overweight (Im actually very similar height, weight and BMI as yourself) I can get absolutely no control over my weight and it just keeps going up. I am not terribly fit, but I eat a very healthy diet and walk in and out of uni everyday so I walk about 4miles a day and try to go to the gym at least once a week. My sister is only a year younger than me, has a sweet tooth so eats a lot more chocolate and sweets thn me, yet she is a size 8/10 when I am a size 16. I have just been prescribed Metformin as my blood tests show very high insulin levels and I will be starting taking it next week to try and control my weight. I am really hoping that it will help me to finally shift some weight!!

My periods have always been crazy erratic, and although iv never gone as long as you have, I only got a period every 4-6months. Someone reckommended to me to get my doctor to write a private prescription for 3% Natural Projesterone Cream called Projuven. At first I was sceptical that projesterone cream could have a big effect, but I was willing to give anything a try. After using Projuven for 6months I have had 3 periods after 28days, for the first time in my life. As i have to get it as a private prescription and pay for it, it is quite expensive but it has been SO worth it to start having periods.

Sorry for the massive ramble! I really hope this is even a wee bit helpful.

Hi
I as diagnosed with pcos about 6 months ago. I asked the consultant I saw privately about metformin and she said there was no research that it helped with pcos and weight loss. I was disappointed as other people had told me it helped. Has anyone else had any problems being prescribed it?

Kelstar said:
Hi
I as diagnosed with pcos about 6 months ago. I asked the consultant I saw privately about metformin and she said there was no research that it helped with pcos and weight loss. I was disappointed as other people had told me it helped. Has anyone else had any problems being prescribed it?

Hi ,
My doctor wont prescribe it either even though my glucose test came back at 10.9 , 11.0 is considered type 2 diabetes . He knows I have PCOS and a family history of diabetes . He just told me to lose weight . I think he wants to see if weight loss makes a difference before he prescribes medication at least that's what I think he is doing !

Back