pcos

tracy1987

Hi everybody. Not been on here since 2011. I have been battling with pcos now for 14 years. I have lost 4 and 1/2 stone and fell pregnant in 2017 to which i suffered a missed miscarriage. I gained 1 stone due to grieving but now i want to get back on track. I was wondering if slimming world is any good for pcos sufferers and fertility. As i have read up that you are supposed to be eating wholegrain and not wheat flour, etc. Has this worked for anybody with pcos?

I have PCOS. I am sorry for your loss. I have been there and know how it feels.

Unfortunately the fertility treatments I had did not work for me and I have not been able to have a child, but don’t give up as many people with PCOS do have children.

I saw a consultant during my fertility treatment( this was over 10 years ago so just bear that in mind) and I was given advice about being insulin resistant (many PCOS sufferers are). I try to be careful about the carbs I have - SW is fine with PCOS and I have now lost a stone in 5 weeks, but I am careful with free foods, especially carbs, and I am trying to control my portions of these. I was also advised to try and eat complex carbohydrates. SW is good for this with the HEXB choice. I tend to use this for breakfast with my porridge and any bread I have I use syns for and make sure it is wholemeal. I was also advised to avoid processed food as much as I can and to eat organic food, particularly fruit and vegetables. I do this as much as I can afford to. I was advised to use olive oil rather than sunflower (I now use an olive oil spray) and butter rather than margarine (due to butter being more natural). On SW I am not having either. She also advised to drink proper coffee rather than instant, again due to being processed / use of chemicals. There’s probably others I have forgotten but in general try to eat this which are natural or as close to their natural state as possible.

I have really piled on weight the last few years for a variety of reasons and was mortified when I got weighed just before Christmas. I have tried WW in the past, but it is not for me so I decided to give SW a go and so far it is working for me.

good luck and keep in touch / ask any more questions

Back