Pen's Page

:giveup: LOL, haven't got a clue what you're all on about.. :ashamed0005:

I used to do stuff on computers in the raf but none of the off the shelf stuff. Haven't got a clue how it worked though lol, i just had to analyse the data it showed! :D

Hope you're well Penny love? :p

Well today I've not done much at all! I've been feeling really weak in the evenings after my walks during the day so decided to take it easy today.

B - 1 and a half Atkins bars 3.5

L - Lettuce 2.0, bacon 0.0, salmon 0.0, olives 1.0

S - Nuts 3.0

D - 7 baby toms 2.4, courgette 2.0, mushroom 4.0, 2 x pork loin 0.0

17.9g carb

Wow PennyJane I'm impressed - I have no idea how you fit in all that work and study and kids! When I'm working a lot I struggle to remember to put the washing on :eek: never mind everything else!

Pork loins, where did that come from. LMAO

Why? I got mine from the Co-op.

Jim, can I ask? Why do I keep feeling so dodgy? I've been pretty active, even in the heat, but I just feel so drained, queasy again and ever so tired!

This will be my third week that I've been feeling off and I've been on this diet for 3 weeks. I'm fine when I have the Atkins bars but as soon as I stop eating them I get a feeling of illness. I do wonder if those bars hinder me and when I stop eating them my weight just plummets, hence feeling worse.

Has anyone else experienced this? If not, then I fear I may have to stop the diet. :-(

Why? I got mine from the Co-op.
Because that's what we had yesterday Penny.

I can't answer on the bars Penny, I never used them. I did have the Atkins flu but only for 2 or 3 days.

I've decided that I'm going to stop Atkins. I'm going to move on to Weight Watchers but with low carb in mind. I don't miss bread, pasta etc but I do feel the lack of certain veg. I also really worry about the impact of such high fat foods.

If I didn't continue to get this tired, dodgy tum, feeling sick, feeling weak then I'd not complain because I like the diet. Just think it doesn't like me.

So I bid you a fairwell and well done Jim and Hellraiser on such great success, and well done Claire to you for doing so well so far... and to the rest of you who are doing grand, keep going! x

Read this Penny
The first clinical dietary trial

In 1928, Stefansson and Anderson entered Bellevue Hospital, New York for a controlled experiment into the effects of an all-meat diet on the body. The committee which was assembled to supervise the experiment was one of the best qualified in medical history, consisting as it did of the leaders of all the branches of science related to the subject. Dr. Eugene F. DuBois, Medical Director of the Russell Sage Foundation (subsequently chief physician at the New York Hospital, and Professor of Physiology at Cornell University Medical College) directed the experiment. The study was designed to find the answers to five questions about which there was some debate:

Does the withholding of vegetable foods cause scurvy?
Will an all-meat diet cause other deficiency diseases?
Will it cause mineral deficiencies, of calcium in particular?
Will it have a harmful effect on the heart, blood vessels or kidneys?
Will it promote the growth of harmful bacteria in the gut?

The results of the year-long trial were published in 1930 in the Journal of Biological Chemistry and showed that the answer to all of the questions was: no. There were no deficiency problems; the two men remained perfectly healthy; their bowels remained normal, except that their stools were smaller and did not smell. The absence of starchy and sugary carbohydrates from their diet appeared to have only good effects.

Once again, Stefansson discovered that he felt better and was healthier on a diet that restricted carbohydrates. Only when fats were restricted did he suffer any problems. During this experiment his intake had varied between 2,000 and 3,100 calories per day and he derived, by choice, an average of eighty percent of his energy from animal fat and the other twenty percent from protein.

One interesting finding from a heart disease perspective was that Stefansson's blood cholesterol level fell by 1.3 mmol/l while on the all-meat diet, rising again at the end of the study when he resumed a 'normal' diet.

But the published results had little effect on the people trying to lose weight in 1930. A diet that allowed as much meat as one could eat and also allowed a large proportion of fat must contain lots of calories. To the average slimmer, lots of calories meant putting on weight.

The evidence mounts

In 1933, a clinical study carried out at the Royal Infirmary, Edinburgh studied the effects of low- and high-calorie diets, ranging from 800 to 2,700 kcals.

Average daily losses:

high carb/low fat diet - 49g [like a modern slimming diet]
high carb/low protein - 122g
low carb/high protein - 183g
low carbohydrate/high fat - 205g
Drs Lyon and Dunlop pointed out that:

'The most striking feature of the table is that the losses appear to be inversely proportionate to the carbohydrate content of the food. Where the carbohydrate intake is low the rate of loss in weight is greater and conversely.'
In other words, the less carbohydrate was eaten, the greater was the amount of weight lost.

Aww Penny hun, i'm so sorry to hear you're feeling offish again. If you do decide to move over to ww then make sure you keep in touch love! I wish you luck in whatever you decide to do, only you can know what is the right decision at the end of the day. Big hugs, take care and hope you soon feel better xx

Well, eldest has been sent home from school with a sore tummy and feeling tired. Hmmm, she's NOT on the diet and she's been ill as often as I have. How odd!

Sounds like you have a bug to me then Penny.

Sure does to me too Penny. I've just come off the phone to my grandma and she said she's had a bit of a tummy bug these last couple of days too. Hope you soon feel a bit better, hope you're daughter's ok too x

If I stay on this diet, should this be only a bug, what can I do about getting myself checked out, bloods etc? I am really worried about cholesterol and thrombosis etc. Thrombosis, thickening of the blood, artery clogging is massive in my family. And then I'm worried that I tell the nurse what diet I'm doing and she'll tell me off.

Before I started on Atkins I went and had an MOT, blood test, liver and kidney function tests etc Penny. All my readings were very bad, My Dr was so concerned about Atkins he made me repeat those tests every three months until he was convinced it wasn't harming me, in fact far from it love, every test got progressively better I'm pleased to say. I still have an annual test and everything is still fine.

However!! everyone is different, so I'd say you should go and do the same penny love.

Well it is in our Surgery Penny. I just made an appointment and gave it him straight, seeing as he was the one who told me I was going to die if I didn't lose weight, he pretty much had to go along with it. :D

I'm bidding you all a fond farewell. The decision is final. I've had a day off today and my head is clearing and feel slightly better already. I feel that I've let you all down but I have given it a good try!

I'm off to Weight Watchers, I hope this works for me - miss you all xx

Sorry to hear that Penny - it was lovely having you around here as you started at a similar time to me!

Good luck with WeightWatchers, let us know how you're doing?

:wavey:

Back