Peoples opinions

DikMeisje

Im getting so very tired of people telling me that what Im doing is unhealthy and a wrong approach of dieting. They all just assume that they are the first to mention that <500cals a day is less than what one usually needs and cant stop reminding me of it.
Im in week 3 and people are starting to notice Im losing weight, the compliments make me happy but they are always immediately followed by a "I hope you know what youre doing though, that diet of yours must be unhealthy" and Im just getting angrier and angrier. Yesterday I actually got angry at my two friends and kind of snapped at them. I feel guilty about it now but I really wish they would just trust my judgment and be happy for me now that Im finally losing weight..

Anyone else have this problem ??

Love, DikMeisje

I expected this problem, that being the reason i haven't told any of my friends just my husband to be who is very supportive.

I am sure they are really happy for you.. they probs just don't understand the diet... keep up the good work tho xx

I have had a few comments like that it really annoys me..
You are getting all the vitamins ur body needs and feel great whilst on this diet!
I reply with "This diet is more healthy than being 3 and a half stones over weight" that usually shuts them up!! lol.x

We've ALL had this problem, I think! :rolleyes: As my hubby says, "everyone's an expert"!! And people, strangely, are only too happy to put you down and say what you are doing is wrong. (I was going to say it was a British disease, but perhaps Dutch people do it too, lol!)

IGNORE THEM!!! Just do a la-la-la on them - it will annoy them no end ("don't say I didn't warn you" etc. etc.) but at the end of the day, it's you that matters, not them. You know about CD success stories, they don't - just let them go on their own sweet way.

But it can be very dispiriting when you're so excited, and they're so negative. (It must be a bit like telling child-haters that you're pregnant!) Just try and shut it all out, I do. :)

For some reason it seems my chubby friends are the most judgmental. My skinny friends are less likely to make comments like that, so Im guessing it might have something to do with envy, but then again they could just as easily join in ^^;
I did anticipate the comments, and havent told many people about my diet, but I share a house with 14 ppl and we usually eat together and when its good weather like it is lately we often have barbeques, so when I stopped joining them for dinner I had to explain it to all 14 housemates. They are my best friends, so it would really help if they were a bit more supportive.
I like your reaction to the comments LaraLou, I think I will use that next time ^^

Jaycey:
Haha, I think Dutch people might be worse than British people, the main philosophy in this country is that in order to protect our freedom of speech each and every thought we have, be it nice or nasty, should be vented the moment it pops up in our head^^;

Oeh another Dutchie. <3

I'm Dutch.

Try explaining to them how it works or giving them the booklet explaining the nutrients etc etc. Worked for my housemates. They were never evil or anything but they were really worried about me.

Good luck x

Oeh another Dutchie. <3

I'm Dutch.

Try explaining to them how it works or giving them the booklet explaining the nutrients etc etc. Worked for my housemates. They were never evil or anything but they were really worried about me.

Good luck x

Hi! ^^
Where in The Netherlands are you ?? I tried to get them to read it but they just glanced at it and then started over again "..yeah but I still dont see how it can possibly be healthy.."

:sigh:

Hey ..
Im so with you here!!! Its so frustrating.. Its a compliment with a negative..
I posted near enough the same message on the CD Forum yesterday..
You feel so good when you get the compliments but then knocked back when you get the negative..
That is why I am so scared for after..
I bumped into a girl today and was talking about cd I said have you done it b4 and she said yes.. and she followed with but put it all back on . Then followed on to say I did it for two weeks..
WELL.. Im on my 11th week and have never done anything but ss .. so I thought well 2 weeks dong it couldnt have got you very far you obviously didnt want it enough thats why you put it all back.
URGHHH.. these people!!!!

Hi! ^^
Where in The Netherlands are you ?? I tried to get them to read it but they just glanced at it and then started over again "..yeah but I still dont see how it can possibly be healthy.."

:sigh:

I study in Eindhoven, parents live in Vlissingen. Maybe you can explain that apart from 100% daily needed amount of vitamins and minerals it also has the minimum amount of protein which stops the diet from eating your muscles.

Trouble is, if they're stuck in their own world they'll never read about or take an interest in your diet. Sucks but it's true. Try to make them understand how unhappy you are about your weight and why you chose for this diet.

Hope it works....

x

I totally understand, I have had lots of these comments too! I actually record a video diary each week and on one of them I explained the whole diet, the science behind it etc. So now if someone is 'worried' about me then I simply tell them it's fine and if they want an explanation I refer them to my video diary on YouTube lol.

I don't know if they all watch it, I know some have but I can shut them up by saying 'watch my video and if you still think it's the wrong thing for me to do then let me know'. So far nobody has told me that what I'm doing is wrong.

I think that with anything out of the ordinary you are going to get people saying things like this. My sister is vegan and she has work colleagues who all go to fast food restaurants for lunch saying 'how can that be healthy, how is that balanced' and she is sooo good at shutting them up now!

xx

I've not actually told anyone (apart from OH & kids) I'm doing Cambridge for exactly that reason. All those negative comments would have gotten me down by now I think, so I chose not to mention Cambridge and avoided having to explain myself umpteen times! Now when people ask how I've lost the weight I say I've been eating (a lot) less, which is true, isn't it? :D.

Soon2bslimmer x (= BijnaDunMeisje ;))

1. It could be that they are genuinely concerned. If this is the case I wouldn't try to convince them of anything, I'd just leave it and when they see the weight coming off you and that you are still healthy, then the comments might stop.

2. It could be that they feel uncomfortable because they percieve you as not 'joining in' or that if you don't want to do what they are doing then you must think they are doing something wrong. When people feel like this they often look to blame the other person for making them feel like this, don't let them. Let the comments go in one ear and straight out of the other! It's their problem that they need to get over not yours.

3. It could be that some people are insecure and have a need to feel superior to others to boost their own self esteem. When they have friends that they consider are over weight for instance, this can make them feel superior. However, when the friend has started to loose weight, they have taken away the issue that made them feel superior. The friend or colleague will then look for something else like making negative comments about the diet. Again - DON'T OWN SOMEONE ELSES PROBLEMS, they are not yours so don't let them affect you or the progress you make on the diet.

End of lecture!!
Best Wishes

I've not actually told anyone (apart from OH & kids) I'm doing Cambridge for exactly that reason. All those negative comments would have gotten me down by now I think, so I chose not to mention Cambridge and avoided having to explain myself umpteen times! Now when people ask how I've lost the weight I say I've been eating (a lot) less, which is true, isn't it? :D.

Soon2bslimmer x (= BijnaDunMeisje ;))

LOL, I've chosen not to tell people either, really what has it got to do with them anyway!

love your reply lauralou - think I'll use that myself too!

Back