Perfect Scan Bran Chocolate Cake

Pootler

I've made so many SB cakes over the last couple of months, and I think I've perfected the recipe: moist, fluffy, chocolatey cake, for just 1 syn a slice. (For quarter of the whole cake, if you count the Scan Bran as part of your Hex B.)

TIPS:

Scan Bran Sprinkles work best, but if you can't get them, just use 4 Scan Bran crackers and get them into the finest crumbs you can.

Use the best cocoa you can find - Dutch processed if you can find it.

Add your sweetener until the mix tastes sweet enough for you. You might want more or less than I use.

INGREDIENTS:

40g Scan Bran sprinkles or 4 Scan Bran
4 heaped teaspoons cocoa
2 eggs
1g baking powder (or a scant 1/4 teaspoon)
4 heaped dessert spoons powdered sweetener

METHOD:

Put the scan bran in a small (microwave safe) mixing bowl and pour on enough boiling water to cover it. You want it to be soggy, but you don't want to see any water pooling in it. If you've put too much water in, carefully drain the excess off. Leave for a couple of minutes to soak.

Add the cocoa and eggs. Mix thoroughly with a fork.

Add the baking powder and sweetener. Mix thoroughly again.

Wipe off the sides of the bowl with kitchen paper. Put it in the microwave on full power for 4 - 6 minutes depending on your microwave. When the cake has completely risen, with no dip in the middle and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean, your cake is ready.

Very nice, :D:D:DI came across this and had a chocolate craving. I just tried making it, however I did a couple of changes for the things I didn't have in.

INGREDIENTS:

4 Ryvita (whizzed till fine) 6 syns or HexB
1 level tbsp 70% hot choc powder (whitards) 3 syns
2 eggs
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp Agave Syrup (sorry I really can't deal with artificial sweetner in cakes) 1 syn
7 smarties = 1.7syns (each smartie is 1g)

total syns 11.7 or 5.7 +hexB

METHOD:

As before, just cooking times different.

I measured the mixture out into bun cases, 30g per case. I put in a smartie part way through so it could melt in the middle.

I got 7 buns from my mix, which were baked at 190'C for approx 15 mins.

syns per bun = 1.67 (2) or 0.8 (1) if taken as part of HexB

Probably need to round up to make syn counting a little easier.

I measured the mixture out into bun cases, 30g per case.

Ooh, that's a good idea. I've never thought of making it into buns. Did they still come out moist?

Yes, still very moist. Am thinking about changing the recipe slightly possibly exchanging an egg for some flavoured muller light to make a chocolate, fruity sponge. Will try at the weekend I hope, will let you know how it turns out. :D

Back