periods??

nettie

Gold Member
hello there... I'm full of stupid questions tonight but......
I take the contraceptive pill and I dont have periods at all (the last time was about 4 years ago).... will I still get 'a star week' as in the symptoms of weight gain due to water retention etc?
thanks in advance :D

I take the contraceptive pill and I dont have periods at all (the last time was about 4 years ago).... will I still get 'a star week' as in the symptoms of weight gain due to water retention etc?

I dunno hun, when I was on the pill I took it to stop my periods and didn't have any symptoms at all. My mate was convinced she still had mood swings etc around when her periods would be when she was on the patch and didn't have periods. Think everyone is different!

I think it depends on the person. I'm the same I haven't had a period in years but I still get the symptoms of it like pms breakout in spots sore boobs and wanting chocolate all the time lol.

thanks so much for the replies, I'll have to keep an eye on it and watch out for any unexplained gains and stuff. i dont think i get the symptoms but then i havent been looking out for them, thanks again x

I stopped getting them when i stopped the pill (so opposite to you) but I still get a star week...i get all the other symptoms but the actual period, so its possible, depends on your body.

*Sparkles* said:
Just wondering why u don't have a period? Do u not have a break each month? X

I had really heavy periods after having my second child so I went on the mini pill, you don't have a break on that one, it's great lol x

Just wondering why u don't have a period? Do u not have a break each month? X

You can take the pill without a break to stop your periods. I was on yasmin and advised by the doctor not to have a break to stop painful symptoms I had with my period. Things like the injection and implant can also stop them. Apparently there is no medical reason to have a break/period whilst on the pill?!

You can take the pill without a break to stop your periods. I was on yasmin and advised by the doctor not to have a break to stop painful symptoms I had with my period. Things like the injection and implant can also stop them. Apparently there is no medical reason to have a break/period whilst on the pill?!

That's interesting, I'm on Yasmin and have been for years and my GP said I can only go 3 months without a break and then must have one, I might have to look into this.

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

I'm on marvalon at the moment and take 3 packs back to back, so 9 weeks of taking the pill with a week break in between (I have endometriosis so take them like this to control the bleeding). At the end of each packet (every 3 weeks) I get sore boobs, swollen tummy, terrible mood swings, even though I don't have a period

I am on cerazette and haven't had a period since I started taking them, over 3 years ago now, and I don't get any of the other symptoms either. Personally I love not having periods although I know other people can find it a bit disconcerting. When I was following the SW plan properly then I didn't see any variations throughout the weeks, unless I'd deviated from plan.

I'm on marvalon at the moment and take 3 packs back to back, so 9 weeks of taking the pill with a week break in between (I have endometriosis so take them like this to control the bleeding). At the end of each packet (every 3 weeks) I get sore boobs, swollen tummy, terrible mood swings, even though I don't have a period

I was told by several pharmacists when trying to collect my prescription, that Marvalon had been discontinued on safety grounds. I went onto the mini-pill Cerazette (same as KittenKat) and haven't had a period in months (other than a horrible, horrible 2 and half week period I had when I first started taking it).

I'm on the depo injection and very rarely get periods, I get a very light bleed every 4 - 8 months, however I do get the water retention symptoms (no others as I didn't realise I had any symptoms until I joined slimming world) so you might get unexplained gains due to it being ''star week'' I also help with the WI's and have known women who have gone through the change still retain water around what would have been their time of the month.

If you have an unexplained gain just don't get down about it and maybe note down when it was and you can see if you have them regularly and if it could be a star week symptom

ceebeee said:
I was told by several pharmacists when trying to collect my prescription, that Marvalon had been discontinued on safety grounds. I went onto the mini-pill Cerazette (same as KittenKat) and haven't had a period in months (other than a horrible, horrible 2 and half week period I had when I first started taking it).

Oh s***!! Really?? When was this?? I'm going for a pill check in the next few weeks so I'll mention it, thanks

Oh s***!! Really?? When was this?? I'm going for a pill check in the next few weeks so I'll mention it, thanks

It was about this time last year I think. I had no idea and apparently there is no notice for the doctors when they bring up your prescription so mine didn't know. I went to four pharmacies, one just said it was discontinued, two said it was discontinued because of safety and the other one had no idea why but they had stopped delivering it. The situation could have changed over the last year, I don't know but definitely worth asking your doctor.

I do remember when I went on Marvalon that the doctor said it was a pill with much higher risk of developing blood clots or DVT or similar .. but that it was a pill that is generally good if you have bad skin (and I had awful spotty greasy skin when I went on it). Skin's fine now though!

I've tried that many different ones as after a couple of years my body gets used to the hormones and my symptoms get worse :( will definitely check though with the doctor when I go. To be honest I hate taking it and wouldn't be on it if I didn't have to be. Other option was the coil.....no thanks!

I've not had a period for over 8 years, the last 2 years I've had the implant and I've not noticed any weight gain/water retention patterns since I've been on it. I'm not looking forward to it being replaced tho :(

Before that I was on depo injection. That was total opposite of star week weight gain....I'd get the runs and my weight loss would go up slightly meaning I lost more on the week I would normally come on.

Before that I was on the pill and I'd swell up, get cramps and put on weight. And basically feel disgusting for around a week.

I've been doing sw plan for a good few years and tbh the weight balances itself out anyway if you do put on cuz of periods so its nothing to worry about really. Just try to remember you are grabbing the bad foods because of that and not cuz you need them lol

I am on cerazette and silly me forgot to take it for 4 days over Christmas, I hadn't had a period for several years but I am now on day 5, I am wondering whether this could be because of the change or just because I forgot to take it. Has anyone else any experience of this? I woke up sweating in the night last night and can't decide if that was a hot flush or not.

I'm also on marvelon and I wasn't able to get it last year for a little while but was told it was a manufacturing issue, none of the pharmacists here said it was a safety issue? I went back to my doc as she had to prescribe me an alternative and she said the same that they were having trouble getting hold of one of the ingredients to manufacture that particular brand so all GP's had been advised to prescribe an alternative until further notice. Think I had 3 months on the other one (can't remember what it was) then next time I went marvelon was available again. Been on it ever since with no problems. Just wanted to share what they told me to help stop the worry x

Back