Pesty's Diary: Losing the baby bulge

Thanks Bev, that makes me feel much better! Corn on the cob - so not as good as baby corn but still better than alpen bars syn wise so I'll take it!! ;)

The film was very saucy but you only see boobs and bums so apart from being a little cringey in places it wasn't too much of an over share in the dangles department!! I actually quite enjoyed it as a girls day out but it doesn't have you running to Anne summers for whips and chains or anything

I did much prefer the books but then my Christian and Anna were not how they looked on the screen. He's a bit scrawny for my liking, by the end of the film I was a fan though!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Well miffed is a severe understatement. Gained 3lb. I don't think I deserved that!!

Can only hope that it's the bloat and that it'll be back off (and then some) next week.

Out for dinner tomorrow and have my 8 week check, Lily's jabs, Lily's 8 week check and her appointment with the plastic surgeon so it's all a bit hectic!!

If anyone can see where the gain might have come from when looking at the diaries let me know!

Clutching at straws but looking at your diary your lunch is looking more like a dinner if that makes sense? I know it's free and sw doesn't really do portion restrictions but maybe try lunchy lunches for a week? Also are you drinking enough water and using your syns well?

((( Hugs ))) Jess.
I hadn't spotted it, but maybe there's something in what LittleOne83 has said about lunches.
It does look as though you are having 2 full meals a day - and I know if I did this I wouldn't lose.
I tend to have much lighter lunches - usually homemade soup plus fruit & yoghurt.
My soups are always big and chunky veg type ones so quite filling, high density but low on calories.

I know you are looking after Lily, but how much exercise are you managing to do? Would more of this help.
And deffo try upping the water intake and try and sloosh some toxins out.

Something you mentioned way back at the start of January was that you seem to have developed a sweet tooth.
You seem to be having more puds of late.
Are you eating more sweet things than you used and using syns on them rather than on more savoury syns?

Hope Lily's check-up is okay. have I missed why you are having to see the plastic surgeon with her?

Last edited:
Also some of your snack look quite meal like at times too.
Just had a thought, have you had your glucose result yet? As if there's any continuing impairment that may have an impact.
Exercise is a good idea too, some brisk walks with the pram (preferably with a baby in it!), any mummy/baby exercise classes around?

Hey both.

Lily has a fused toe and originally must've had six. One of her toes now looks like a love heart! I think it's adorable but when she gets older shoes wouldn't fit and she'd be really self conscious so we're seeing someone tomorrow about it.

Food wise I am unsure how to make my lunches more lunchy! I've always had leftovers for lunch and usually they're a carb free version of dinner the night before so shouldn't be high calorie - suggestions for lunches would be great.

I definitely need to up my water so hopefully that's a quick fix.

Currently I'm out most days with Lily in the pushchair and I live in a third floor flat so carry her and a pushchair up and down three flights of stairs, I think that's all I can manage exercise wise at the minute.

Bev my new sweet tooth is certainly annoying! At the moment I'm curbing it with fruit, yoghurt and meringue. Maybe I'm now having too much fruit? Therefore too much sugar and high calories??

I think I'll try upping the water this week and hope it was a fluke. I'm not sure I can do this plan if I need to lower my food, I'd spend my life starving!

Xxx

*sticks neck out...*

I have to say I disagree with some of the previous posts.
Sorry, ladies!

But the point of SW is that it's good for people with big appetites.
When I was doing SW before, very successfully, I ate mahoosive amounts, but all totally within the rules of the plan. There is definitely nothing at all wrong with eating two full meals, as long as they are all free food, and with the right amount of superfree.

I suspect that with your new sweet tooth, Pesty, you may be needing to re-train your body to enjoy a different type of foods. Or it's possible that following the diabetes issue your body has a different way of processing sweet foods that you need to get used to.

But I wouldn't suggest cutting down the meals that are fully on plan: that's a sure way to want more snacks, which are the times you're less likely to eat healthily!

Sorry...

(Edited to say - this is in old language. Obviously now, for "superfree" read "speed"!)

Morning Sarah - no you're not sticking your neck out.
That's what great about Mini's - we're here to discuss . . . "friendly like".
And I do basically agree with you - that's why I do SW as it means I don't have to be hungry all the time as you are with other diets.
But I think Jess was asking for some pointers as to what may have caused this weeks gain when she'd been on plan most of the time.
I'm sure Jess will tell me if I'm wrong.

The other thing to consider Jess - is that your body is still adjusting after the birth, plus I think you've just stopped breast feeding too, so this may be part of the issue.
Not sure about this but may be worth a thought.

Morning!!

I agree with both. The reason I do the plan is so that I can eat as much as I like - and I will continue to do so and yes I was looking for pointers and portion size may be the issue if I wasn't having enough super free.

For the last week my plate has been mounded with speed so I don't think that can be the issue.

It may very well be baby related. She is only 8 weeks old and maybe when I stopped breast feeding my milk went so I 'lost' 2.5 then maybe my body has compensated by holding on to a few calories which has pushed me up by 3??

We'll find out next week I spose!!

Out to back inn time for steak tonight. I will try to be good and not stop this week before its started!!!!

Water is already up. I'm carrying around a large bottle of sparkling water (1L) and intend on having it gone before the morning is out

. . . Food wise I am unsure how to make my lunches more lunchy! I've always had leftovers for lunch and usually they're a carb free version of dinner the night before so shouldn't be high calorie - suggestions for lunches would be great.

If they're a carb-free version of dinner then they shouldn't be a problem.
I know you are coping with a new baby too, so lunch needs to be easy stuff. Nothing too time consuming to prepare.
My friend Christine loves her eggs, so she often has omelette and salad for lunch plus she makes a SW quiche in a loaf tin and has slices of that with salad. This lasts here several days - she did it when I was there and it was delish.
Plus she has lots of baked spuds with something on as they're quick and easy to do in a micro.
Her addiction is baked spud with baked beans and cheese! But obviously high in carbs and needs to use a HexA

As you know I do mostly red days - so try to keep my lunch totally neutral if I can and just have stuff that is free on either day - so I avoid meat and carbs.
I love my chunky soups though. I make a huge pot-ful and freeze it in single portion containers that are quick to re-heat in the micro.
I've normally got 3 different varieties in the freezer at any one time so that I don't get bored with one.
The Little Book of Soups has some amazing recipes in. I have quite a lot of the pages photographed as a lovely Minis friend sent them to me.
If you want a copy of these - pm me your email address and I'll send them.

Bev my new sweet tooth is certainly annoying! At the moment I'm curbing it with fruit, yoghurt and meringue. Maybe I'm now having too much fruit? Therefore too much sugar and high calories??

I eat loads of fruit and yoghurt - I love it and I find it filling and satisfying and having it at lunch stops me wanting to snack in the afternoon.
So I don't think you really need to cut back on this.
Is the meringue an extra though that you've suddenly added, it could be adding extra sugar that you wouldn't have had before and that your body is having problems processing because of a left over from the diabetes.
Maybe try and miss this out for a week and see if it helps.

BUT . . . Some fruit is higher in sugar than others though so not classified as a "Speed" food in new parlance (or Superfree in old terminology).
Perhaps limiting the amount of non-speed fruit might help and eating more of the speedy ones.
Non-speed fruit includes things like grapes, bananas, mango, lycees, blueberries . . . and cherries and pineapple now seems to have been added to the non-speed list (which is a pain as I love pineapple and have it most days as it's freely available here all year and relatively cheap :cry:)
Melon is good - as well as being a speed fruit it's also high in water so helps with the slooshing effect.
Things like mandarin oranges and clementines are good too. I find these really satisfy a sweet craving and are quite filling.

I'm not sure I can do this plan if I need to lower my food, I'd spend my life starving!

You deffo don't want to be starving - as Sarah said, that's a recipe for disaster.

It might me some little tweaks are needed because of a) post baby b) effect of your diabetes.

Hope this all makes sense

Just had another thought. Has your mestrual cycle kicked back in yet? Are you hormones doing weird things?
In the last 4 weeks you've had 1 STS and 3 losses - 2 of which were pretty good.
It could just be that this weeks gain is related to hormones as I know many people gain on *week.

Shame about the gain....i have no experience to know about your gain.

The point of the lunches may be right...Ive STS for two weeks maybe my lunches are too blame as I normally have leftovers but in smaller portions.

With you water intake maybe i can give a suggestion. Water can be boring sometimes. So i do over night water infusions. Some people buy the infusion bottles on amazon but i just do mine in a jug.

I do mine with a variety of fruits...what suits your taste buds basically.

A link with some ideas

http://www.buzzfeed.com/melissaharrison/fruit-infused-waters#.ce1OXoPeKX

Lets stick to plan and have great losses this week:)

Thanks all.

I haven't had a star week yet so my hormones are probably all over the place, I really should give my body a chance to settle before I go blaming all sorts of things!

I'm going to continue as I am for this week and if I have a loss know that it's my body adjusting. If I don't have a loss then I know I'll need to look at all the things we've discussed here and swap a few things around.

Out for dinner and drinks Friday and drinks Saturday which doesn't help but I'll stick to shorts and hopefully it won't be too bad!!

So today I didn't eat enough.

B - banana
L - chicken (skin 6.5), AH Cous Cous (1) and salad (lettuce, tomato, cucumber, egg and sweetcorn), Mayo (2)
D - burger and chips (B), ketchup (1), light mayo (2)

Total syns 12.5

I did however manage 2 litres of water, which sounds rubbish but it's a start!!

I didn't eat less on purpose, Lily was a grizzle grump today following injections so by the time I had her settled and got the house work started, the health visitor round and the food shop done it was 4pm and I realised I'd only had a banana!!!

Food shop is done now though so lots of speed in the fridge to find stuff to precook tomorrow

image-758944574.jpg

How did the visit to the plastic surgeon go?

So today I didn't eat enough. . . .
I didn't eat less on purpose, Lily was a grizzle grump today following injections so by the time I had her settled and got the house work started, the health visitor round and the food shop done it was 4pm and I realised I'd only had a banana!!!

Tut tut - naughty girl (says she - who occasional forgets to eat at all until 4pm).

And naughty girl too for eating the chicken skin. Yes - I love it too but rip it off and chuck it in the bin (or give to the cat/dog if you have one).
Mr Pom uses the phrase "useless, wasted calories" to me all the time.
He tells me to have something "more useful and filling" when I try to steal the skin off a roasted chicken.
Have some olives or nuts instead of the skin syns - yes they do have syns but they have good oils and good cholesterol that our body needs.

I did however manage 2 litres of water, which sounds rubbish but it's a start!!
It's a great start. Did you have tea and coffee as well? If so you can count some of this too.
I count 50% of my caffeine drinks towards my liquid intake as the theory is that not all of the liquid is negated by the caffeine effect.
So long as you aren't drinking strong builders-type tea or double strength espresso!

I know, I had 4 chicken thighs, ate the skin off one, realised how many syns it is for nothing then pealed and bined the other three.

Plastic surgeon was a bit of a non-starter. Forgot about us for an hour before i enquired as to why it was taking so long. Finally got seen for all of two minutes where they said she needs an X-ray that can't be done until 6 months so come back in June!

They knew why we were going so why not just save everyone's time and put that in the letter rather than dragging us to the hospital?!

I was rather miffed at the time, clearly not completely over it!!

Lily hasn't done a nappy in 24 hours so I am now sitting awake next to a very stroppy baby. The nurses said after her injections she would have a few dirty nappies so we didn't give her the usual ounce of water and now she can't go!!!

So to summarise. Chicken skin not so bad, miffed, me tired and stroppy baby.

So today was a better day. 14.5 syns.

B - oats, SS milk, berries
S - 2 satsuma, 1 nectarine, squares (4.5)
L - pasta n sauce (3), courgette
D - salmon, asparagus, courgette, leek, rice (2), cheese (3), Mayo light (2)

Hey Pesty - hope u are having a good week and i must congratulate u on sticking to plan on SW with a very small baby to look after. It is so hard being a new mum and having to cope with day to day stuff let alone be on a diet.
Lots of love and keep going xxx

Thanks Elle!!

Not amazingly on plan but only due to alcohol syns. Had a babysitter for Lily so have been out for a few drinks with friends.

Food wise I have been really good!

Of to stay with my sister Monday and Tuesday in Kent as its her birthday so going to try to find a class near there to weigh in!

Back