Physical hunger vs Emotional hunger

cinderzxx

Came across this today... The emotional hunger bits sum me up completely!!

Physical hunger:
- usually comes on gradually and can be postponed
- satisfied with any type of food
- once you're full you stop eating
- causes satisfaction not guilt

Emotional hunger:
- comes on suddenly and feels urgent
- causes a specific craving (such as pizza or ice cream)
- causes you to eat more than you normally would, leaving you feeling uncomfortably full
- leaves you feeling guilty and angry with yourself

Have definitely experienced the above today (day 4)... Never would have thought i could get so upset because i was denying myself a cheeseburger!!!

Ah well the day is nearly done!xx

I did this yesterday, there is a quiche in my fridge..i love quiche its a real go to comfort food for me....i was sitting there imagining myself biting into a slice and it was a fairly realistic daydream even though i wasnt hungry at all! I dont know how i didnt end up scoffing the whole lot but i didnt (mainly because i dont want another day one), i begged my husband today to eat it because im not going through that again whilst its still just early days.

The thing i like best about VLCD's is they show ya you dont actually need to eat anywhere near the amount you thought you did to be 'full'. A few times i've gone out for meals with friends (sticking to chicken or fish with veggies) and not only was I full without finishing my meal... it also stuck me why I ever thought I needed the huge meal + sides + dessert.

Though theres also boredom hunger.... was I the only one who found myself constantly opening the fridge door even though I wasn't hungry at all?

Mine isn't either most of the time - it's a compulsion that means that I can't rest until all of the chocolates (or whatever) have been eaten and then I'm over it. Compulsion is the reason that I can't leave half a chocolate bar in the fridge, and I'm not sure how to tackle that other than to not buy anything that leads to compulsion.

BordersGirl said:
Mine isn't either most of the time - it's a compulsion that means that I can't rest until all of the chocolates (or whatever) have been eaten and then I'm over it. Compulsion is the reason that I can't leave half a chocolate bar in the fridge, and I'm not sure how to tackle that other than to not buy anything that leads to compulsion.

Same here x

Oh, definately!
I'm very much an all or nothing type of girl.... so VLCD's work well for me because its the 'nothing'... but its what scares me most about getting to my goal. I see three options.... one being what happened after LL which involved huge pretty disgusting binges (though there were hugely traumatic events at that time, so hopefully without them and having that experience it'll be better), the second is developing a pattern of unhealthy undereating in the long term and the third developing healthy eating patterns.... which i'm obviously hoping for!

Yep... All or nothing here too which is why if i even go off track in the slightest the day won't be salvaged and ill turn it into a massive binge... "may as well, because I've messed up anyway" thoughts...

The same too with the binge/starve periods... Can't remember ever having a normal attitude to food!!xx

BordersGirl said:

Me too am same! Been thinking that once at goal, I wont buy anything that leads to temptation!

I managed recently (before I started the VLCD this time) to throw some stuff in the bin instead of eating it.

I'm NEVER gunna be desperate enough to eat food out of the bin so that really worked well.

I was pretty amazed I managed to throw the stuff instead of eating it - that was a big step for me.
I read ages ago that food is as wasted in your stomach as it is in the bin... But in the bin it's not making you fat! So, so true.

Back