Pilates or Yoga for a beginner?

River Tam

I'm looking to start a few classes at the gym, and thought I'd do either Pilates or Yoga, something a little more gentle, but I'm not sure which one to go for? What IS the difference, I've always wondered!? And a friend said Pilates is a little more easy for an unfit person to master, is this generally true?

Thanks!

They're both quite different. Best thing would be to do one class in both and see which you prefer as classes can really vary.

Pilates is about strengthening your inner core and anyone who says it's more easy isn't doing it right, lol. It can take a few weeks at pilates to master locating and using the correct core muscles. It was only until I did physiotherapist led pilates that I realised the point to it, I wasn't doing it right in the gym classes at all because I didn't get as much attention or direction as with the physio. I love it because I believe there is no point in having strength in the other parts of your body but having a weak core and it's great for achy backs. I believe that pilates was initially used for dancers to gain strength and in rehabilitation after injury and was developed around the 1930's.

Yoga depends on which type of yoga it is as there are a few. It's very good for flexibility and keeping limber and can be more therapeutic/spiritual with some classes having meditation sessions. Yoga has been around for thousands of years and came from spiritual practises in the east.

Of course nothing stopping you doing both, then you will be strong, stable and flexible.

Yoga and Pilates seek to reach much the same goals. Do them both in conjunction! The nature of the techniques makes it easy for them to complement each other. Get the stretch from Yoga and keep it from Pilates.

I would disagree that 'Yoga and Pilates seek to reach much the same goals' but I do agree they can complement each other well.

Pilates is genuinely the hardest workout I've ever done. Not tried yoga so I can't offer much of a comparison but I can tell you that Pilates is not for the fainthearted but you do start to see the results relatively quickly. Just bear in mind that if you've done it properly, you will ache so much afterwards :)

Back