Pineapple problems

Harry'sMom07

Silver Member
Does anyone else have problems with eating fresh pineapple? I have recently starting eating a bit more of this (since starting SW) and have also recently been getting a burning sensation in my stomach, above my belly button. One night I ate about 4 rings of pineapple and was really ill :(

Since then, I've not eaten it and not had the pain, so I can only assume it is the pineapple causing it. I love fresh pineapple :cry:

Anyone else experienced this?

I love it too, but can't really eat it as it cuts the inside of my mouth.

It can be quite acidic & maybe you had one like this & it upset your tum?

xxxxxx

There is an enzyme in fresh pineapple which some people cannot take - it is the same thing which prevents jelly from setting if it has fresh pineapple in it. The canning process removes the enzyme, which is why canned pineapple can be used in a jelly, and most people are able to eat it without problems.

Trouble is, if it is canned you have to syn it!

It irritates my mouth too...but I put up with the pain, as I love it. Canned pineapple is fine though...unfortunate it comes with the syns!!!

x

Aah, thanks, it must be that then. No-one else in our house eats it, so it's going to be a waste to buy one as it will take a while to eat :(

I can eat a little but makes my mouth sore if I have too much.

Remember yonks ago, there was some hideous Pineapple Diet? I think all it did was put you on the toilet for hours!!

An uptight overly skinny lady in a leotard promoted it?

Oh I used pineapple to start contrations when I was due to give birth, I was eating a whole pineapple in one sitting, my mouth would tingle for days afterwards (I was still three days overdue so I don't reccommend it lol)
I love canned Pineapple as its not so harsh :)

Does anyone else have problems with eating fresh pineapple? I have recently starting eating a bit more of this (since starting SW) and have also recently been getting a burning sensation in my stomach, above my belly button. One night I ate about 4 rings of pineapple and was really ill :(

Since then, I've not eaten it and not had the pain, so I can only assume it is the pineapple causing it. I love fresh pineapple :cry:

Anyone else experienced this?

Hey Kel!
I wouldn't be sad just yet.
If I eat fresh pineapple I have ulcers and last time I actually threw up for 2 hours...
the best thing is to pour boiling water over peeled and sliced pineapple. I just boil a kettle, pour the water over it (use colander), cool it down and eat it.
try that. if this doesn't help, then it will be some sort of allergy.
good luck!

I've found that pineapple makes my mouth sore and thought it was because I was eating them when they weren't quite ripe enough but maybe it is this. The last time I had kiwi it 'burnt' my mouth and left my tongue feeling funny for ages so maybe it's an allergy instead!

Back