Pixie's Quit Smoking Thread...Come Join!

pixie-gem

Gold Member
Hi Guys,

So this isn't technically a food diary, it's actually going to be my no smoking diary, as i am giving up tomorrow, have everything ready to go, and i know that i won't want to fail if people are watching me, so here goes!

I started SW a month ago, and have been thinking of giving up for years, and i have also tried, only to fail ( :( ) a couple of days later.
Hubby gave up months ago, so i know that i can, and maybe, the ultimate reasoning, i actually WANT to (let's face it, if i wanted to before, i would have. "Do or do not, there is no try" - gotta love a bit of Yoda :p )

I'm off to Florida for two weeks next Thursday, and you can't really smoke anywhere in public or in the hotel, so i would be kinda stuffed anyway, and i kinda just figured it would be the ideal time as
A) not allowed in most places
B) i will be busy having fun! :)

I've always been a boredom smoker i think, i mean, in situations where you can't smoke, planes, restaurants, etc, i have always been totally fine, i know i can't have one and that's just that and i'm not at all bothered (hubby, on the other hand, was ready to kill someone on the plane when we went to Cuba as they were snoring, and hubby hadn't had a fag in 8 hours), it's when i am free to do it, i go a little bonkers in the noggin :p

I have a weeks worth of patches (left over from when hubby quit last year) for this first week, to try and help me over the initial "grrr" stage, and i have about a years worth of inhalator cartridges (from everyone lol) for florida and if i still feel i need them when i get home.

Has anyone given up, while doing SW? Do you have some tips for me? I'm thinking of sugar free lollies (1 syn) and sugar free gum will help me out for the times when fruit and veg just won't cut it.

Any tips, advice, kicks up the butt, reality checks all gratefully welcome and encouraged :D

Feel free to subscribe and keep me in check :p

Peace & Love xx

*mods, sorry if in wrong place, please feel free to move if required :)

I just want to wish you luck with giving up smoking hun...I gave up over 13 months ago, after getting to a point (like you) where I WANTED to give up, and I'm really glad I did :) I gave up with the 10 week course of 24 hour patches, but then I was quite a heavy smoker. The patches gave me fantastic lucid dreams, lol! :)

The syn free lollies and gum are a good idea, also Aldi and Holland and Barrett do sugar free sweets that are about half a syn each. Tic tacs are also a good idea. Having ready chopped carrots, peppers, cucumber sticks etc in the fridge may help when you're feeling like munching.

I have to admit I put on over 2 stone after stopping smoking, but I think that was a combination of stopping smoking, boredom, stress because of work and studies, and really just being fed up of dieting - cake was my new best friend, lol! If you can stick to the low syn sweets etc though hun I'm sure you'll be fine.

Best of luck with it...I'll be watching you, haha! :D

xx

I gave up over five year ago and i have to say it was easier than I thought even though I was the same kind of smoker as your hubby!
Once you've got past the first couple of weeks it gets better but even now I randomly fancy a cigarette once in a while (I wouldn't dare even try one incase I went back on them).
I used the patches too, found them fine but if you wear one through the night be prepared for some crazy dreams!

Hi there,

First of all, well done on deciding to quit smoking!

I smoked for 17years and was on about 20 a day. I gave up about 11 months ago now, whilst my husband carried on smoking and still does!

I didn't use any patches or substitute cigarettes ..... I read Allen Carr's 'The easy way to stop smoking' available on amazon for only a couple of quid. I read this book, and just stopped, and I haven't missed it at all. I know many people who have read this book and it has really helped them.

you are supposed to read it (it's not that long) before quitting, but I would definitely recommend at least looking it up on the Internet.

I was lucky that I didn't put on weight, just made a real conscious effort not to 'eat' as an excuse for not smoking.

What ever method you try, I really hope it works for you ...... It's the best thing I ever did!!

Good luck!!

Xxx

Thanks guys, i really appreciate the support :)

I'm strangely looking forward to it, in some weird twisted kinda way :eek:
I'm hoping that becuase i'm not a "ragey" smoker, that having enough patches for the first week, and then going onto the inhalator thingy on hols, will be enough...i really don't wanna be buying prescriptions if i can help it!

Think tonight might be a late one as i still have 10 left and even though i don't want anything "smokey" in the house after i go to bed, i can't bring myself to just chuck them in the bin, they cost alot of money lol!

Here's to quitting smoking, whilst getting skinny and hopefully staying married! (good job he'll be at work and not here poor bloke :p)

Don't want much huh! :D

Xx

Having my last ciggie now and chuck everything, put the rubbish out andgo to bed.

Here's to a brand new smoke free day tomorrow :)

Hi Pixie-gem, congratulations on starting your first smoke-free day!

I gave up a year ago whilst on SW and still kept on losing and met my target weight. I found the sugar free gum a godsend. Technically your supposed to syn them but I never did even though I chewed loads and it didn't harm my losses.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Day 1:

Morning!
Well i still haven't had one yet, so that's good. Have my patch on and my inhalator thingymajig.

Well pretty much have got through is day without losing the plot or having a ciggie so yay :D x

Well done Pixie - keep up the good work!

Had the no smoking nurse and my co2 reading is already at 1 :) whoop :)

Halfway through day two and still going strong (i realise it's not much of an achievement so far but i'm getting there and everyday in the right direction id good enough for me) xx

Back