Please help - advice

jelly2010

I am on week 2 and have been TS
Tomorrow my parents are doing a roast and would like me to join them
I have asked for chicken , cabbage , swede and cauliflower. Do you think this will be ok ?
Also will this take me out of ketosis?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

It will almost certainly take you put of ketosis, unfortunately.

Do they know about the diet? If there's a chance they'd understand I would say join them, but just have a pack instead of eating with them.

Food is the excuse for the get together, not the reason. The reason is to see your family and enjoy each other's company. You can do that no matter what you're eating (or not eating!).

Coming out of ketosis is not the end of the world, but I'd try to avoid it if possible.

Thanks for the reply

They do know.
It's just they are worried because to them I am " not eating".
I will just have to try and make up for it. Does it count as a working/simple solution do you know ?

Swede is high carb so I doubt it would be on WS, but not 100% sure!

I'd say to try to avoid the skin of the chicken too, even though it's the best part!

It's a very individual thing, dealing with our friends and family. If you've a lot to lose then in my opinion it's worth sticking to TS and explaining it to them, otherwise it might be something that crops up a lot and sabotages your losses and motivation.

Thanks?
I never eat the skin. It's just a breast - no skin
Think I will swerve the swede.
think I will try and explain to them to save the same issues next time.My problem is that they had to put up with diets and fads for most of my adult life. I feel embarrassed that i have to remove food from the equation really :-(
BUT it is working

You shouldn't feel embarrassed if it's working for you!

The problem is, people disagree with these diets. It's usually because they don't understand, and as difficult as it is to deal with, they only do it because they care. There's loads of people I haven't told, I'm not going to be on it for that long, so I hope I can just avoid it.

I think it's one of the hardest aspects of this diet. If I'd told my friends I was drinking too much and needed to quit for a while to get my head sorted, they'd support that 100%.

People said the same to me when I started a VLCD, things like it's dangerous, just eat healthily, just exercise, it can't be good for you, bla bla bla. They have a different mindset to those of us who struggle with food and will never see how taking food out of the equation is the only option sometimes. Just put up with the comments, try not to get cross with them- because when you reach goal suddenly the comments all change to 'you look fantastic' and 'you've done so well'! Swede is on the allowed veg list for Slim and Save (another VLCD with the same losses). On slim and save you have 4 packs on total solution or 3 plus a protein meal- 100g of protein like chicken plus 200g veg.
There's loads of veg on the allowed list. I'm not trying to get you to jump ship to slim and save but if you pop over and have a look at the FAQ sticky for newbies you will find the allowed veg list. I'll tell you that 200g of swede is not very much at all- and if your parents are anything like my mum there's about the same amount again of butter and milk :-D however, 200g of cabbage is loads!
Slim and save keeps you in ketosis too so if you were to keep within their limits you should be fine. You have to stay within roughly 70g of carbs a day to remain in ketosis. Try using 'my fitness pal' to work out how many carbs you would be consuming.
Good luck :)

Thanks , I have worked it out to just over 20g carbs so if I miss my bar ( just for today) I should stay within the limits
God this is hard work lol . Next time it will be a big no !
Thanks for the help

No probs. If you didn't manage to find the veg list for slim and save this is it:
Asparagus, bamboo shoots (canned, drained), broccoli, cauliflower, celery, courgettes, cucumber, fennel, gherkins, green peppers, green chili peppers, leeks, lettuce, mushrooms (not fried), olives, rocket, shallots, spinach, spring onions, swede (flesh only), turnip (flesh only and must be boiled), watercress and white cabbage.

You can have 200g of any of those or a mixture of them each day and remain in ketosis. You will not kick yourself out of ketosis with chicken as it doesn't really have any. Careful of hidden carbs- gravy generally has flour in it.

Yeah I know about the gravy, think they contain cornmeal thickeners

Thanks for that

Fingers crossed ;-)

Can I ask is the 200g veg cooked or uncooked weight
I may try a sample pack of s&s as the only thing I really miss on exante is veggies !

It's 200g cooked. Some veg are heavier after cooking, some are lighter.

Thanks, just looking over the s&s website now

Back