Please help (re sw chips)

MissUno

World Class Oddball
Can someone give me a good step by step for making the SW chips? Everyone says how tasty they are, but when I've tried to make them.....mehh.

I must be going wrong somehow...please help as I'm new to all this SW lark :confused:

we just peel and chop the potatoes into chunky chip shapes then we ge the water to boiling point, add the chips to par boil and then after a couple of minutes of boiling turn the heat off, leave them for 5 minutes then drain the water off.

Next is to "knock them about" in the pan to make them fluff up a bit and tip them onto a recently tin foiled baking tray with lots of fry light sprayed on, then we spray more fry light on them, whack them in the oven until they look done.

Don't forget to season to taste whilst there on the baking tray par boiled. :) (I love cajun spice on them)

Hope that helps.

I usually leave the skins on and have wedges... same thing as chips really. I prick my potatoes and pit them in the microwave for a few mins, then cut them up and put in oven sprayed with frylite.

Mine weren't very good the first few times I did them, so I just tried different methods! The way I do them now is I peel the potato(es) and cut it into 1/2" wide chips, Spray a microwaveable bowl with FryLite and add the chips. 'Fling' them around a bit in the bowl :D few more sprays of FryLite on top, sprinkle with salt (I'm sure this helps them crisp up a bit) and put them in microwave for 4 mins. When done I 'rough' them up a bit in the bowl and put them on a baking tray in a hot oven (220ish) for around 20-25mins (or until they are as brown/crispy as you want them - I can't stand eating 'white' chips lol) :) Good luck trying them again!

I cook the potatoes whole in the microwave too then slice them into wedges or chips and put on a tray and spray with frylight. Bake on 180 for 20 mins or so... Also really yummy sprinkled with a crushed veg oxo cube or bouillon powder/dried onion before baking and they're still free. Enjoy!

I do them in the acti fryer and they are so much better - Even hubby who is not on a diet but wants to get healthier asks for them this way cooked with Fry light. If you can afford it (because I know they are expensive) Buy one

Thanks guys and gals, I'm going to give it another go this afternoon. Hoping with your tips I'll get it right this time. I really do need to improve my cooking skills to be on this SW, as it requires so much more time spent in the kitchen.

Good luck :) if that still doesn't do the trick, you might want to try some different potatoes? I always use Maris Piper.

Let us know how you get on :)

I haven't got round to buying Fry Light yet so I syn for a teaspoon of oil ... for me this really is enough! Makes delicious chips!

I par-boil some chipped potatoes for 5 mins, drain and shake up the saucepan. Put a small (probably less than a teaspoon) of light olive oil in the saucepan and shake it about.

Spread out potatoes onto a pizza tray (the type with holes in so that the heat can aeriate). Season with whatever you want ... I use sea salt, black pepper and paprika.

20 minutes later you have delicious, golden brown chips :eating:

Last edited:
I peel and chop spuds, put them in the microwave in a bowl with a little water, cover and vent and cook for about 7-8 minutes. Drain and transfer to big bowl, spray with frylight and salt and toss them around till they're all covered and then lay them out on a mesh tray, cooks quicker. Cook on gas mark 6 for about 30 mins, longer if you barboil for less time.

The key to cripsy chips is to not have them too moist when they go in the oven.

Either microwave the spud whole first for approx 6 mins if it is a large potato and then cut into wedges, or blanche them in some water for a similar amount of time. But make sure they have no water on them when you put them on the tray to bake. If I blanche them, what I usually do is drain the water, then put them back on the hob, just to remove any extra moisture. You only need to do this for a few seconds.

Spray your tray with frylight, add your chips, then spray over the top and sprinkle with salt or any other seasoning of your choice.

The other key is to not have your chips too close together on the baking tray, as otherwise they will just steam and not crisp.

Just an update.

I made a small portion with what potatoes I had left for lunch and using some tips from this thread they turned out absolutely lovely.

I peeled and cut the potato into medium chips, then boiled them for about 3/4 minutes. Drained them off and seasoned with garlic, paprika and salt and put them on tin foil sprayed with sunflower frylight in a pre heated oven on gas mark 9 for about 20 minutes.

Thank you for the tips and tricks for them, I actually enjoyed my SW chips this time :D x

(I had a tablespoon of bbq sauce to dip them in, too, was well worth the 1 syn)

Glad they came out better for you. I use red potatoes as they crisp up much better in the oven I've found.

BBQ sauce, yummy and I agree, totally worth the syn

Just an update.

I made a small portion with what potatoes I had left for lunch and using some tips from this thread they turned out absolutely lovely.

I peeled and cut the potato into medium chips, then boiled them for about 3/4 minutes. Drained them off and seasoned with garlic, paprika and salt and put them on tin foil sprayed with sunflower frylight in a pre heated oven on gas mark 9 for about 20 minutes.

Thank you for the tips and tricks for them, I actually enjoyed my SW chips this time :D x

(I had a tablespoon of bbq sauce to dip them in, too, was well worth the 1 syn)

glad you enjoyed them this time. :D

I use new potatoes as find they are the tastiest. Also, if Im being lazy I just chop them into chip shape, spray with Frylight, season & pop into a very hot oven for approx 30 mins & they taste just as yummy

I do them in the acti fryer and they are so much better - Even hubby who is not on a diet but wants to get healthier asks for them this way cooked with Fry light. If you can afford it (because I know they are expensive) Buy one

I also resorted to this very expensive but much better method! - in spite of what i read on these forums, I had no success with SW-style chips - I tried various ways. I've canvassed my SW group and they all say they taste rubbish too!

The chips in the actifry are fabulous. Yes, expensive, but then a doddle to make, no par bpiling/microwaving, no spraying, no turning or shaking in the oven.

Perhaps the best testimonial I have for the actifry is from non-SW'ers or dieters. Our deep fat fryer was binned.

I just wish I could find one SW group member of mine who claim to make fabulous SW-style chips so I can try them lol. I took the actifry to group once for a demonstration. I swear they were coming in off the street to try 'em;)

Regards the SW-style chips though, there are too many variations and as par par-boiling small bits of potatoes for anything more than a minute, they turn to mush! - even the SW website/recipes contradict the method!

Steve

Other thing to remember about SW chips, is that according to my consultant Fry Light is only free up to 10 sprays...

I usually just syn 1 tsp of oil and my chips/wedges turn out lovely.

Back