Plumfoodie's diary and ramblings

Excellent idea Plum. Short term objectives are the best way to build long term goals. The wheat once a day, if at all, is one of mine. Too much wheat kicks off too many cravings for me.
I also believe in promising myself little rewards as well. Doesn't have to be a big thing, any little incentive makes a difference.

The rewards are a really good idea, Molly. I'll have a think about that for next week. :)

The wheat one is hard for me, I love pasta, couscous and bulghur wheat (and they don't trigger cravings for me) but I am trying to accept that they are not that good for me. I found wholemeal barley couscous which at least helps with that one, and I don't mind having quinoa instead of bulghur. But pasta - ah, pasta. *sigh*

So, don't know if I will meet my aims this week but figured if I had put them up for all to see I might feel more motivated to try harder, LOL! And as you indicate, Cali, the week will pass whether I am actively trying to reach my goals or not! So I may as well!

Food today was ok, 40 calories over my daily quota which I'm not going to sweat!

Breakfast: blueberries, yoghurt, all-bran and mixed seeds
Snack: 4 cheese slices (bit of a fridge raider moment here if I'm honest)
Lunch: bean cassoulet with wholemeal macaroni
Snack: pistachio nuts
Dinner: chorizo and chickpea stew w/quinoa and steamed veggies
Snack: mini dark chocolate bar

Food looks great today. I know what you mean about the pasta. I too was a major pasta fan but I rarely have it now. I've substituted quinoa or couscous in many of the old pasta dishes and they work fine. Also just try having a lot less pasta, you don't have to cut it out altogether. Maybe 40-50 g dry weight and bulk up on a side salad or just more veg.
You are doing great and menus are fab and varied.

Thanks, Molly, for the encouragement. I mostly do ok at cutting down the pasta to a small portion (reluctantly, hehe) but if I'm going to fall off the wagon at home (as opposed to a restaurant) pasta is the likely culprit! ;)

Food looks really great Plumfoodie! :)

Hectic day today! And my weight is going up and up this week. My TOTM is overdue (stress I'm sure) and I seem to be retaining a lot of water. Hmph. It was good that I'd at least planned food for the day last night as I've been a bit scatterbrained today and it took me an hour to figure out what to have for dinner tonight!

Breakfast: scrambled egg with lowfat cheese and tomato, plus one slice rye bread with a little St Dalfour apricot jam
Snack: almonds and pecans
Lunch: quinoa with salad veggies and quorn fillets, plus a few olives and lemon/herbs for flavour
Snack: cashew cookie Nakd bar (left this a bit too late, was really getting grumpy!)
Dinner: greek-style salmon with cannelini bean puree and stirfried courgette

Didn't do very well on my water today; was hectic at work and I forgot to fill up my big bottle (which I sip from if it's there without really noticing).

Your food sounds great today. Cashew cookie sounds really yummy. Mmmmmm.

Hopefully your totm will come soon. That's how I was last week just waiting for it to come and be over with.

you know Plum, the fresh egg pasta that's filled - ravioli, tortellini etc that's in the fridge section at the supermarket is actually pretty low GI/GL, much more so than any of the dried pasta. So I'm sure you could have that to satisfy those pasta needs - that's what I do!

Fresh ravioli, meat filled, boiled GI 39, GL 15 for a 180g portion
Fresh ravioli, dairy/vegetable filled, boiled GI 36, GL 14 for a 180g portion

Thanks Cali!

Mm, Ruth, I hadn't even thought about fresh filled pasta so thank you for the tip. I think I even have some in the freezer. Excellent!

OK food today until dinner. TOTM finally arrived and I feel like I could inhale all the food in the world! So dinner is a bit junk foody but still within calories etc.

Breakfast: Easiyo lowfat apricot, and turkey/tomato scrambled eggs

Lunch: tuna nicoise salad, sort of (didn't have quite everything)

Snacks: almonds/pecans, a cocoa mint Nakd bar, and a bit of Easiyo with some AllBran

Dinner: Quorn nuggets, sweet potato wedges, salad and fromage frais dip

Edit: and a treatsize Curly Wurly! I could've eaten another 4 of them so decided to have my bedtime tea (redbush+honeybush) and call it a night!

Did a little better on my water today but still not up as high as I would like!

Last edited:
Food looks good today, Plum. :)

Ruth, thanks for the tip about stuffed fresh pasta.

Food sounds great Plum, and you did much better than me on my totm :)

Weigh-in this morning says...

Gained either 0.2 or 0.4 lb. I recorded two slightly different weights last week by mistake so not now sure which was right! I don't pay much attention to TOTM weight anyway (although glad I didn't put on more) so not that bothered, will hope for more progress next week. :)

CaliSweden said:
Food sounds great Plum, and you did much better than me on my totm :)

Hehe I don't know about that! After my planned dinner I then scoffed a treatsized Curly Wurly and could've eaten about 4 more! Must update my diary post!

Cali, I'll post here about Zumba for the Wii so I don't hijack the other thread. ;-). It comes with a hip belt that the Wii controller slots into so you can Zumba away with your hands free. I don't think it counts calories but myfitnesspal might have it as an exercise? I find it fun! But it's challenging for my level of (non)fitness, I usually only do one song and then lie down on the floor and gasp for awhile.

I like the Wii fit too but the weighing feature is quite inaccurate unless it's on a hard, even floor, and although the exercise level is about right for me, it would be a bit easy for someone who does a lot of proper exercise. :)

I got a couple of things in the end of summer sale from the website of a high street shop I like. Everything arrived yesterday; the obligatory trying-on session was kind of funny as I'd gotten everything a size smaller than normal hoping they may fit by October (going to Cyprus to visit my mom) or be a bit baggy for next summer. I could do up the buttons but it was total muffintop/sausagelegs territory and by the end the surrealness of trying on summer clothes when it's chilly outside and chucking down rain was all too much for me!

I think October might be a bit optimistic but we'll see!

You did really well for totm weigh in:) I think you gained only .2 lbs, since I think the small number from last week was wrong:)

I googled Curly wurly and ohhh boy that looks yummy. Why don't we have that here? But we don't have any cadbury things here in Sweden. At least in the states we always had Cadbury easter eggs, and other things.

Oh cool, maybe I'll have to take a look at the Wii Zumba thing. I'm sure it'd wipe me out too. I'm still trying to get stronger and build up stamina, as I'm still a pansy compared to how I used to be.

Ohhh Cyprus sounds really nice!

Don't get disheartened about the clothes. After all, they are a size smaller do the fact you could get into them at all is progress. The muffin tops will disappear sooner than you think.
Enjoy the rest of the day.

Back