Plumfoodie's diary and ramblings

I agree :)

Dinner tonight was a bit piggy! I ate too large a portion and didn't work the calories out until afterwards (usually I do it before) which was a shame as I was slightly over for the day and there were a couple really easy ways to have cut them down a bit. Nevermind.

So, today, I had an apple, two babybel lights and some almonds for breakfast (quite late and really spread out over the morning in a grazy fashion). A naughty lunch, I was a bit too tired to cook so had a can of Stagg silverado beef chilli. This is mostly meat, beans and veggies but there is a bit of sugar in it and usually I would split a tin and have more veg etc with it. Yoghurt with seeds and a little bit of AllBran for a late afternoon snack, and then the most enormous (but tasty - I love Rachel Allen's recipes) beef and mushroom stirfry with plenty of veg and a little nest of wholewheat egg noodles. So a bit of a naughty day today but only relative to good low GL days not compared to how I used to eat before! And I usually allow myself a bit of leeway when I'm sick, I figure my body knows what it needs to get better.

Your food sounds good. There are times you just gotta give into your cravings especially when you aren't feeling well. Usually your body knows what is best for you :)

The combination of having a cold and imminent TOTM seems to have made me very cranky today! I had cinnamon apple porridge for breakfast (which I usually love) but it didn't taste very nice and now I'm thinking rebellious thoughts about what I might have for the rest of the day. But I'll try to keep things under control and see what things like look at the end of the day!

We went out this afternoon and I got a smoked chicken and pancetta salad with creamy parmesan dressing. OK from a GI point of view but I really should have gotten the dressing on the side and set the pancetta aside too. It was also quite small and not very filling (somewhere between a starter and a main portion I'd say) and so afterwards I had one scoop of chocolate ice cream. I had a doughnut nectarine - these are so good, why had I never tried them before? - in the car as I was STILL HUNGRY (lol) and a small Nakd bar for a snack when I got home. I wish I'd stashed some almonds or a bar in my handbag.

So now I'm wracking my brains as to what I could have for 108 calories for dinner. ;) (j/k, I will have something light but sensible, I'd wake up hungry in the night on such a small dinner!)

Edited to add dinner: a mixed salad with lean ham, boiled eggs, and marinated olives/garlic on top, dressed with balsamic vinegar. Yum yum!

Last edited:
Food sounded good, and great of you to pick a nice choice while dining out :) Keep up the good work Plumfoodie!

Well, it was a low GI choice but it certainly was not a lowfat choice! My husband was making fun of the pancetta, usually it has a higher meat to fat ratio but not this stuff! Yikes!

I was hoping to do some gardening today but something bad has happened to my hip so I think I'll spend some time reading my GI/GL books and plan some meals for this week. I always do better when I plan!

Sorry to hear about your hip. I hope it gets better quickly. Reading the books are great. I was reading my GL bible all last night. I couldn't keep my nose out the book. My guy would talk to me, and all I did was ummmhmmm, ok sweety. I just couldn't pull myself away from it:)

Thanks Cali. I think a visit to the chiropractor might be on the cards for me tomorrow.

Making myself hungry reading delicious low GI/GL recipes!

What a pity about your hip. I hope it improves soon. Xxx

Thanks Molly. Wouldn't mind quite so much if I knew what was wrong with it or even what I had done to offend it so much! Ho hum. :)

Well my hip is still dodgy (gosh I feel old, hehe) but I managed to keep to my calories and good food today I think:

Breakfast: scrambled eggs w/tomato and a little bit of lowfat cheese (I usually like to add wafer thin turkey to this but haven't got any in) plus half a wholemeal bagel and a little bit of Lurpak Lighter Spreadable

Lunch: chicken and white bean stew from the freezer, with extra garlic added to combat this icky cold

Dinner: chicken and black bean salsa quesadilla (made with a wholewheat tortilla and not very much cheese) and... quacamole. I love quacamole, yum, yum, yum - I love it so much that I don't even mind not having any calories left for a little bit of dark chocolate afterwards. :D

Snacks: a doughtnut nectarine + some pecan nuts, and in the afternoon a small pile of pistachio nuts - love these as they take longer to eat because of the shells ;)

Food sounds really good Plumfoodie! Mmmm guacamole, I love it too.

I have decided to set goals each week in an effort to focus my attention properly. My goals for this week:

Make two different dishes to replenish the stock of emergency freezer meals.

Continue avoiding wheat products more than 2-3 times a week maximum but improve on this by not having wheat more than once in any given day. (Edit: I am not including AllBran in the 2-3 times a week limit, because it is mostly insoluble fiber.)

Drink enough water every day.

(I could come up with more, but I think three is enough!)

Last edited:
Those sound like really great goals for the week. Maybe I should have some too, since 5 lbs seems like far away from now.

But if you don't set up goals, then it's like "well, I'll get to it tomorrow or next week or next month." Then next thing you know time went by and it still wasn't done. So it's really great that you're telling yourself what should be done :)

I kept saying that with the diet, I'll do it next week, this week we have too much going on, or we're going here so we're going to eat that. Then a few months went by and I didn't really lose any weight. If I would have started GL a couple of months earlier I'd be that much closer to my goal weight. But I didn't even know about GI/GL until about two weeks before I started it.

I'm liking the idea of mini goals - sometimes its easy to get swamped with the bigger picture. I might have to plan some myself for next week...

Back