Plumfoodie's diary and ramblings

Food today was on plan but split more into 4 meals! We had breakfast late and then did some cleaning and grocery shopping that necessitated a large quick snack to tide us over until we could stop for lunch.

First breakfast: smoked salmon scrambled eggs in a wholemeal wrap

Second breakfast: oatcakes with cheese, walnuts

Late lunch: Moroccan chickpea and vegetable soup, multigrain crackers, and Easiyo with blueberries and seeds

Dinner: two-bean beef chilli with tiny sprinkle of cheese

Evening snack: bit of dark chocolate

Positives today:

- cooked a big batch of the soup so have work lunches for the next 2 weeks now

- did a bit of exercise

- made a start at a major cleaning/organisation job

- did not kill husband, who is *very* sorry for himself with infrequent sniffles and minor tickly throat

That chilli sounds lovely think I'll be stealing a few recipes off you plum when I'm not following my 12 week plan anymore!
Love your positives I need to sort my wardrobe and draws out but I feel like I do it every few weeks

Been thinking about my target weight today. As some of you might recall, 160lb was my first target to be in the healthy BMI range with a few pounds of leeway for temporary fluctuations. My health makes it really hard to lose weight and to be honest even 160 seems far away at the moment!

So, from a health perspective I think I'd be happy with 160, especially if I lose another inch off my waist with that 10 lb to bring it into the <=35in healthy zone. And of course I'd be happy for the change from thinking about losing, which I've done for the whole of the last year. My appetite does seem reasonably in tune with my maintenance needs, so hopefully it wouldn't be too difficult (although I'm sure it would still require some effort).

But! I fear there will remain what some call the vanity pounds, and I think I'll just have to see how I feel about that at the time. I'm still self conscious about my tum and my underchin wobble but I don't know what effect the next 10lb will have on them. I'm not a vain person but I'm not sure I'd feel happy having spent so much time losing to still see pudding neck in the mirror.

So, ho hum. Sorry if this seemed too introspective. It's not something I'll have to decide about for awhile anyway! ;)

Introspection is what the forum is all about, so navel gaze away!
I think your plan is good. Vanity pounds will be nice to have in hand. Will ten pounds be noticed by anyone other than yourself? I doubt it.
Keep chipping away. When you reach your first goal you can reassess. As you've said, you are confident you can manage maintenance levels, so getting to goal is your only concern.
Keep going, it's all good.

Food looks really yummy Plum!

I know that -10 lbs everyone will notice the difference :). I do understand how you feel though about vanity pounds and wanting to have 1 chin. I think getting to goal weight first, and if you feel happy and comfortable at your weight, then it will be easier to decide to go for the vanity weight or stay where you are.

You've done really great so far Plum. -26 lbs is no small feat, and just look at how far you've come from before you started dieting. When I have my days where I feel "omg I'm still FAT days, or omg I'm never going to reach goal weight!", I like to look at an old pic of before I started dieting, and look at myself now. Then afterwards I say to myself "well at least I'm not where I was 6 months ago."

Ah thanks ladies, I really appreciate both your replies. :) I wish I had a pic from last January but I don't. I do have an awful snap from a summer BBQ in which I look like Mr Stay-Puft, but I don't know what weight I was then (it was a couple of summers ago and I definitely gained after that point) and so a bit scared to take a new pic for comparison in case it turns out that I'm exactly the same! ;)

If you don't have a picture to look at, you can always try on the clothes you wore before the weightloss:). It always feels nice to slip into a shirt and realize wow "I can't believe I used to fill up the whole thing."

Okay I know I sound weird or vain. But I do get days where I need that little extra push to remind myself I'm on the right track, and not to give up. Sometimes we have to be our own cheerleader and say "Woot! You're getting there girl, keep up the good work!"

I agree with Cali and Molly, Plum. You've done really well so far and you are so so so close to your target weight.

I too am very concerned about my tum -I am the classic apple shape (heart attack, high blood pressure, diabetes and other lovely things waiting to happen :D) - so once I reach my goal weight (which also seems like a pipe dream), I will focus more on exercise to keep me healthy, strong and fit. Perhaps we both need to focus more on toning our bellies? Actually, however much weight I lose, my belly will always be big (it's just the way my body is made).

OK, I've started rambling but I just wanted to say one more thing which is that once you lose that last 10 lbs, see how you feel. One step at a time. :)

Thank you ladies for the bit of perspective! I really needed it. Sometimes I focus on what I wish would somehow magically happen (oh, the figure of Drew Barrymore) rather than on what is possible and indeed entirely satisfactory! The other day I was wearing a baggy old pair of trousers to do chores in - they had been quite tight when I was at my heaviest and now I have to really cinch them in. If I held the waistband out there was quite a large gap in between them and me so realistically I know I have made progress! :)

Food catchup; I got really tired yesterday and the day just sort of disappeared! I've tried to be on plan both days and will hopefully be good tomorrow as well; weigh-in Thursday and I'm hoping to be down to my lowest pre-Christmas weight, fingers crossed anyway!

Yesterday:

Breakfast - Lizi's granola with blueberries, yoghurt and seeds

Lunch - leftover chilli and cheese

Snack - Ryvita with laughing cow (the oatcakes disappeared into the back of the cupboard) and some blueberries (err, not plonked on the laughing cow, eaten separately)

Dinner - pecan-crusted salmon with lentil salad, and steamed cabbage and carrots

Snack - tiny dark chocolate bar

Positives - I was really proud not to succumb to a day of snacking yesterday. I was hungry and I had the craving to eat a lot of cookies or potato crisps (TOTM coming up) but somehow resisted. I'm still not sure how but I'm counting that as a big fat YES for the day.

Today:

Breakfast - mini veg frittata cup, rye toast with peanut butter and no-sugar apple butter

Lunch - moroccan chickpea (hup hup!) soup, wholemeal wrap with philadelphia light, plus some blueberries, cherries, and soaked almonds

Snack - Nakd bar

Snack - oatcakes with laughing cow, a few cherries

(anybody wondering why I have two afternoon snacks - I have one before leaving work and another after arriving home. otherwise I come home and just inhale everything in sight! but there is never more than 4 hrs between brekkie and lunch so I forego a morning snack)

Dinner - chicken, veg and soba noodle stirfry

Snack - tiny dark chocolate bar

Positives - I ate my lunch instead of going to buy a sandwich when it transpired that the soup was not salty enough (yuck)! I don't want to sound smug but it did make me feel that I was making a concious healthy choice!

Tomorrow: (going to post in case I don't get a chance to post tomorrow, I'm having a busy week and fighting yet another cold, sigh)

Breakfast - oaty low GI muffin with hardboiled eggs

Lunch - moroccan chickpea soup... with more salt!!! also I might try to blend this portion, this has so much veg in it that it's hard to pour out of the flask

Dinner - cod loin with spring inion/ginger sauce, steamed veg and butternut squash

Snacks - probably something to do with Nakd bars, oatcakes, laughing cow, berries/cherries, and tiny chocolate bars. at a guess. ;)

Positives - oh, I'm sure there will be something splendid! ;)

Last edited:
Your menu looks really good, and I'm so proud of you for planning your foods :) (I'm not too good with planning my foods :( )

The pecan crusted salmon sounds really yummy. I love pecans and salmon so the combo of the two sounds double yummy!

I hope your work week will go smoother the rest of this week. Sorry to hear that you're catching a cold :( Please drink plenty of ginger tea, I ususally make OH ginger tea when he's fighting a cold :)

Thanks Cali - I find the planning makes a huge difference to me especially on work days, otherwise if I get tired and hungry I make bad choices!

Weigh-in today, I lost 1.4lb which takes me below 170 again so I'm very pleased. Still hoping that 165 by V'tines day might be possible!

:party0011::party0011::party0011:Congratulations Plum! You're doing great!!! I'm sure you'll reach 165lbs by VDay:) Keep up the great work Plum!!!

Great job Plum. That is a good loss and you are on course for your feb 14th goal!!!!

well done plum i think 165lbs by valentines day is a very achievable goal and i have no doubt you'll hit it!!!

Thanks Lauren. :)

Sorry all that I've been too busy to keep up on your individual diaries but I have been reading when I get a chance and you're all doing fantastically! Well done to those of you who have had losses, great stuff. Hope everyone has a good week. :)

I've not been doing too badly apart from last night when I went to a party - I ate beforehand so resisted the food but wound up drinking too many sweet beverages. I was in my calorie limit for the day but way too much sweetness and I didn't even really enjoy it that much but my friend wanted to go halfsies on a bottle and I wanted to be sociable. ;)

Food for the last little while (and the rest of the weekend):

Breakfasts:

Thursday - granola, yoghurt and seeds
Friday - porridge with almonds
Saturday - lean bacon and fried egg sandwich on wholemeal (yum)
Sunday - fluffy blueberry pancakes (low GI)
Monday - granola, yoghurt and seeds

Lunches:

Thursday - two-bean beef chilli with cheese
Friday - zip! my cold left me feeling yucky and not hungry at all
Saturday - turkey bolognese w/wholemeal spelt spaghetti
Sunday - italian tuna burger in wholemeal pitta
Monday - wholemeal pasta with kale and white beans

Dinners:

Thursday - cracked pepper-coated steak, pesto tomatoes, quinoa pilaf and steamed veg
Friday - emergency meat/cheese tortellini with pesto (we were late for the party)
Saturday - vegetarian sausages, butternut squash, broccoli and a wee glass of wine
Sunday - wholemeal pasta with kale and white beans
Monday - almond and chickpea (hup hup) burgers

Snacks have been the usual sort of thing. I discovered the Food Doctor crackers and have been having them with Laughing Cow; I like them very much! Lots of crispy surface area. :)

I've been feeling positive about continuing to plan my meals ahead (I can allow for real life, like Friday night dinner) and being within my calorie limit each day. :)

Last edited:
Go Plum! You're on a roll with planning your meals, that's really great! It's a weekend and you're allowed to enjoy yourself a bit :) Remember that today and tomorrow is a new day, so no worries:)

Your food sounds really yummy. The fluffy blueberries pancakes sound yummy. Recipe please :)

Back