Plumfoodie's diary and ramblings

Sigh. +0.6 lb this week. TOTM imminent. Bah. :( I've stuck to my daily calories this week too despite positively evil PMT and associated ravenous hunger (I did allow myself one day of maintenance calories last Friday, which doesn't normally prompt a gain). So am sure it's water or something, but I'm still annoyed. Probably because of the PMT! :eek:

Since Totm is near it is for sure water weight. I am sure soon after totm the gain will be gone. I do agree that it isn't a great feeling to see the gain on the scale even though it is totm coming. You're doing really great Plum!

This week's weigh-in: -1.8 lb

Which:

a) is a very good loss for me, so I'm very pleased

and

b) puts me officially under my initial goal weight by 0.3 lb

There were many days when it seemed like this day would never come, but I got through them with the support of you all (so thank you!!!) and here it is and so I'm very excited about that. :D

I'm going to enjoy this for a week (which does *not* mean eating pizza and ice cream for a whole week, heh, I hope just to maintain this weight until next Thursday) and then next week drop my goal weight by 10 lb.

Since I'm now in the healthy BMI range my next goal to increase my health and wellbeing is to get my body fat % into the 'healthy' range too. 10 lb lighter is the first step towards that, but my ultimate goal will depend on whether I am able to build any new lean muscle mass. I'm still undecided about whether to switch from a 'weight loss' calorie deficit to a 'muscle building' calorie goal - I know this would result in short term gains for long term benefit but not sure if I'm mentally prepared to deal with that at this point, LOL - but I have a week to think about it. :)

I can't even count the benefits I've seen from losing the weight that I have so far - I have more energy, my constant back pain is now only an occasional niggle, and I feel better about myself - how I look, that I've done something positive for myself, AND the fact that I was able to stick to this for so long to finally reach my first goal. For someone with M.E. those are all pretty big positives. :)

That is fantastic !! Well done :) so happy got you!

Well done!!!
Your doing fab!!!
Health and well being is a fab goal.

Lauren xx

Congratulations Plum and a job well done indeed! That's really great that you stuck through it! I think it's a great idea to build more lean muscles. It's great for you and you sound like you have much more energy than before. I'm really proud of you Plum! And I look forward to hearing from you still.

What a fantastic loss and what a brilliant post!!! You've said it all Plum. You are so focused and sure of what you want to achieve. It is such a wonderful achievement to be where you are given that you have to cope with your illness which makes weightloss difficult.
Well done and I look forward to following your next phase of muscle building and another 10lbs off.

Aw thank you ladies for all the really kind words, they mean a lot to me. :)

If there's one thing I've learned over the last 18 months it's that even when the going gets tough, if you do the best that is possible in that particular present moment you will eventually get to where you want to be. You may be less focussed at times or circumstances less than ideal, sometimes it might feel like you are just plodding along and putting one foot in front of the other is the most you can manage, but as long as you are kind to yourself and allow yourself to accept that and continue to do the best you can instead of giving up entirely then you will make progress.

Or, in the words of someone from Galaxy Quest....

Never give up! Never surrender!

:D

This week I'm going to relax, still exercising and eating healthily because it makes me feel good, but I'll be back next week with a plan to meet my new goal! :)

OK, I settled on my new goal, so I thought I might as well set it now rather than waiting! But I'm still enjoying a few days at maintenance calories this week. :)

Because it takes so long for women to gain muscle mass (you might be lucky to put on 5 lb in a year even if you were doing heavy weight-lifting), I've chosen a weight that would reach my body fat % goal if I simply maintained my current lean mass. BUT if I reach my body fat % target earlier than that I'll call target then. :)

It might sound silly but I'd rather say to myself that I need to lose another 15 lb and wind up only needing to lose 10 or 12 than set a goal of 10 lb and then when I get there find that I need to lose another 5!

Plum; Those quiche cups made from the south beach diet book seems very spinachy is that right? They taste nice just wondered if went wrong some where?

Mis-behave said:
Plum; Those quiche cups made from the south beach diet book seems very spinachy is that right? They taste nice just wondered if went wrong some where?

Yep they are quite spinachy, they have more 'stuff' in them than a jiggly custard-type quiche. More of a frittata really. It help you get in the half cup of veggies that SBD wants us to have at breakfast. :) I make the cups twice as big (so it makes 6 instead of 12) and just have one plus some low GI toast with PB. Yum!

They are nice, I made them into a 6 portion too, easy to heat up :)

They are nice, I made them into a 6 portion too, easy to heat up :)

I really like them, I have them every Tuesday morning. (yes, I am sad, I have the same breakfasts every week on the days I work so that I don't have to think about it!) As long as you've squeezed out the spinach really well - we use a paper coffee filter - they freeze/reheat well so I keep them stashed in the freezer. :)

If you like that sort of thing, check out the Kalyn's Kitchen website, she has a lot of different SBD egg bake breakfasts and the ones I've tried so far have all been nice.

I'm not logging a weigh-in today as I was allowing myself a more relaxed week at maintenance calories (although most days I didn't eat that many, I wasn't that hungry). For some reason I've been really bloated and puffy and so my weight was up today from last week's weigh-in, but it was also 2 lb lighter than earlier in the week when I was at the peak of my puffiness so I'm not going to complain! Eating low GI/South Beach is so second nature now that it doesn't seem like a struggle.

I'm feeling pretty motivated for the week to come, tonight I'm going to do a weekly menu plan for the first time in a long while. I find this keeps me on track as well as making life a bit easier during the week. I'm going to stick with my 15% calorie deficit for now, but plan to have another week at maintenance calories after 6 weeks to give my metabolism a little boost. I've gotten into a pretty good routine of doing a kettlebell workout twice a week (one core and one whole-body workout) and 'something else' once a week if I'm not too tired - depends what I feel like doing that day, sometimes it's a walk, sometimes it's free weights etc - plus a 25 minute stretch routine every day. Hopefully my health will continue to let me do this as I know it's all helping.

Healthy body fat range, here I come! Hopefully anyway! :D

Went out for an unexpected meal last night and it did not go well. My beef enchiladas turned out to mostly be filled with rice and I succumbed to a very non-GI friendly pudding. I ate far too much and when I got home could only sit like an enormous rice ball on the sofa sipping fennel tea. Today I feel awful, having M.E. flareup symptoms. It just highlights how important low GI eating is to my health! I guess every so often I need a forcible reminder; next time I go out I'll place more importance on making good choices!

Tomorrow is a new day, 80/20 rule :) Sorry to hear that your ME flared up:( It's very strange how the foods we eat can cause our bodies to act up. I hope you're feeling better today. I really hate it when the body acts up, it's the awful reminder that we still have to be careful with our bodies.

Thank you Cali. I didn't really mind that I ate out, but I had not planned to eat all that rice and it left me feeling very yucky. :(

Been out again today and had lunch out plus (ahem) a piece of cake. I ordered gluten free cake in the hopes it would be made with ground almonds but after eating it I suspect it was high GI gluten-free flour. Ho hum, can't win 'em all! Possibly later I may also have had an ice cream cone...

I really need to get into the habit of packing a picnic when we have a day out with our friend and her little girl. :)

Last edited:
Aw what a shame your ME flared up. It goes to show that certain foods or food groups can be very toxic to our bodies.
Here's to a good positive week for you this week.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I hope your ME is feeling better today! How horrible to enjoy something and then feel so horrible afterwards.

Hope you week goes well :)

Back