"Plump Polly".....golden oldie..........Newbie

Hi Polly, just caught sight of your post. Well done on getting into the swing of things.
On the subject of age I am 78 coming up 79 in August and have been posting a diary for quite some time now which I have found extremely helpful.
Like you I live on my own and only do quite plain cooking..tbh can't be bothered with a lot of messing around..I know what I like and that's enough for me! :D
I initially went up to 16st 2lb and only being a shorty and with a bad back to boot it didn't make me a very happy bunny.
I'm sure you will soon be losing weight fast as you are sticking to the regime really well... All the best to you... :wavey:

Hi Emmaline, are you a friend of Pommettes? Bev? She said she had a friend on here that was 78.......power to your elbow!!
Oh I'm so glad I'm not the only one who doesn't add this that and the other to their food. I said earlier, I've stocked my cupboards with all sorts of pots and jars...don't know how to use most of them....talk about the life style change...I shall have to take cooking lessons too! :)
Well done on your weight loss too...they say it takes us older ladies longer to lose, but as long as it comes off, I'm happy! Might not get into that little black dress this year....but there's always the next! and thank you xx

Thanks Christine, is that 15 nuts? I have 2 packs in my cupboard, and daren't open them, don't think I'd be able to stop at 15!! xx

Thanks Christine, is that 15 nuts? I have 2 packs in my cupboard, and daren't open them, don't think I'd be able to stop at 15!! xx

[/QUOTE]

Hi Polly, no its not peanuts but a savoury snack made from peanuts; something we get over here in France although I have seen a similar thing on sale in Lidl in UK when they have an American week- think they are called peanut flips in Lidl. 30gms = 7 syns.

Evening chica - yes it was Emmaline that I was referring to.
Emmaline - lovely to see you here again chica. How are you? Are you still listening to your country music every weekend?

Polly - if you've got "stuff" in your cupboard that you don't know what to do with then shout!
Mr Pom is a great cook (he does most of the cooking in our house) and has learnt what to do with all the new SW ingredients that I've saddled him with over the last 7 years )a;most).

lolol!! now that's what I want, a personal chef!!
All the things I've bought have been used in recipes on SW or here...I don't even know if I'm going to like them, but I'm prepared to be a bit adventurous and have a go!
Hi Claire:wavey:... I've only been a member on here just over a week, just making friends and finding my way about a bit. You won't find anything adventurous in my diary....not yet anyway!You should lookm in the well established ones that know what they're doing more, and what works, but it's nice to chat anyway! I'm using all the free and superfree at the moment, not enough syns and today I haven't had any bread so have even missed my HE B...I'll make up for that tomorrow. Don't gink I could force another mouthful down now.
Bev, am glad to see that Emmaline is like me...used to plain cooking! Mind I DO love a Chinese...from the takeaway though! and you know what they say, "you never see a fat Chinaman!"x

I don't add "this that and t'other" to food either.
But I've learnt to use lower fat stuff like 0% fat fromage frais instead of cream to flavour sauces.
One of my recipes posted on here - The Hairy Biker's Somerset Chicken - is actually nicer with fromage frais than with cream!

Mind you, when I say "I" - I mean him really. As I said, I have my own personal chef.
He loves cooking and trained as an organic chemist - to quote one of his professors "a simple lad what likes boiling things up in pots".
Mr Pom said a long time ago whilst doing his PhD that "cooking" chemicals is no different from cooking food.
You just have to understand what will and won't go together!

Last edited:
Hi Polly, another newbie popping in to say Hi!

Looks like you're doing great with your diary and your food, will keep dropping in to see how you're doing :)

Morning ladies..well I broke my 1st rule this morning (and wish I hadn't) I got on the scales...fully dressed mind...and lunch time (any excuse!!)...and it says I'm the same as Thursday...my WI day...ggrr! shouldn't have done it, am going to take them out of the bathroom and stick them in a cupboard, then I won't be tempted.
I know what I'm having today...nothing adventurous I'm afraid

B (already scoffed) 1/2 grapfruit..2 slices W/M (HE.B) extra light Laughing Cow cheese triangle, marmite and topped with cucumber
D.Home made shepherds pie...sort of, filled with lean mince, and mostly lotsa veg (just a variation of my hot pot really!) but with mash on top
T. Ham salad...with all the usual salad stuff. I bought a fruit platter yesterday from Sainsburys, so I might have some of that///OR strawberries with Mullerlite

Must have something to count some syns....the mullerlite and cheese triangle only gives me 2.1/2...oh ..have some Mint Crunch hifi bars, one of those is 6, so might have that while I watch the telly tonight. I could really get addicted to those, I'm a cheese and mint-a-holic! (not at the same time though).
Does anyone have liver? I love liver and onions, but notice in the book it doesn't have any symbols at the side of it, PLUS not sure how to cook it now. I usually cover it in flour...well both sides and slowly fry it, don't think I can do that now.
I usually cook it with sausages, but have avoided those altigether since I started SW.
On another thread i sub to, PuppetWitch has a lot of the Scan Brans from group. Going to pick some up on Thursday, nearly everyone says they're awful but boost your weight loss...anyone else have them?
have a good one ladies (wish we had some of your weather for a bit Bev) xx
:wavey:

Polly - I'm not hugely keen on Liver but do have kidney a lot.
Not exactly sure what you mean about liver not having a symbol against it. The symbols just indicate things like Speed foods, Really Nutricious, Fbre and Calcium in my old book. So if it doesn't have a symbol by it, it just means it isn't one of these things.

THE WHOLE POINT OF SW IS THAT NOTHING IS BANNED - so you can cook your food as you like.
That's what syns are for (cue for a song here methinks).
Syns can be used in the cooking process - you don't have to add them as "extras" if you don't feel hungry.
Although a lot of people save their syns for treats like crisps or wine - I fall into the latter category!! :8855:

If you dip the liver in flour and slowly and carefully fry in less oil (1 tbsp will be plenty if you are really careful) then go for it !!!!
Flour and oil will use up some of your syns that you say you are having problems using.
Flour is 4 syns per 25g (just over a level tablespoon and probably more than you will use) and olive oil is 6 syns per tablespoon.
So there's 10 of your syns gone for today!
But in actual fact you probably won't actually eat all that oil anyway as there will be some left in the pan, and you probably won't need the whole tablespoon of flour if you dip it carefully

Deffo steer clear of the sausages though - they are high in syns - but you could have it with bacon with all fat removed.
And it you put it in onion gravy, a teaspoon of Bisto = 1 syn, and a tablespoonful = 3 syns.
Pour any excess oil away before you start to make the gravy though and save yourself some syns.

But going back to sausages - you can have these if you want you know. Again they just use up syns.
Cumberland sausages are my favourite - try and find the reduced fat ones in the supermarket and they are just 1 syn each
Great for the occasional treat. If you don't like the low fat ones (I don't) then here are the syns for all varieties.
So 3 thick sausages in onion gravy would use your syns for the day! How good is that?

ProductExtra Easy
Original
Green
Sausages, Cumberland sausages, premium, grilled, each
Sausages, Cumberland sausages, reduced fat, grilled, each 1 1 4
Sausages, Cumberland sausages, standard, grilled, 1 thin 2 2
Sausages, Cumberland sausages, standard, grilled, 1 thick 7

Never had scan bran having never been to class
People either love 'em or hate 'em though. I think I'd probably be in the hate category.
But loads of people make them into various "cakes".

OH! JEEZ!!! 3 fat Cumberland saugages...........back to mouth watering mode! I like Turkey sausages too, used to buy them in Iceland, but don't even know if they do them anymore. I would have thought Liver was really healthy, it's in the free foods, but I noticed because Kidney and Venison has (S) by the side of it. Very good for the blood, so I shall have some...and with bacon and onions, sounds really tasty.
I think Tescos do some sausages that are 1syn each, and I've seen people mentioning JOES, but I don't know what they're like or where they're from.
I never drink at home....I've got loads of bottles upstairs, wine, Bacardi...whisky, never even think about it, but if I have a cold I'll get out the whisky to have with hot milk. Now if I have friends round, that';s a whole different kettle of fish...........lol x

Well I ended up having the fresh strawberries and another Mullerlite.....think I'm getting addicted to those too, and still no where near my syns quote, so just had a light Hi fi bar...just totted up, and have had 9. Onwards to tomorrow!! x

Made some pea and mint soup yesterday for a dinner party starter. It was really good and 0 syns (wish the rest of the evening was syn free!!!). If you want recipe I can post it for you.

Oh I love anything with mint involved, thank you.
This is todays efforts

B. curried tomatoes on 2.x W/M.toast.....(except my toaster died on me:() with 2 nice lean rashers of bacon....fresh squeezed lemon drink
D. was the rest of the shepherds pie (1/2 tin toms, lean mince, onions, mushrooms & carrots)from yesterday with a couple of new potatoes, lots of cauli, broccolli and carrots
T. Ham salad.
snacks...nectarine, apple and 2 x kiwi fruits
THEN I realised I hadn't had 1 syn.......so 2 ryvitas laughing Cow light with blue cheese and cucumber. 5 syns
Think I'll have a HIFI bar as my choccy treat that will bring it up to 8. Oh, forgot the salad cream, so another 2 = 10 !!
As always not very adventurous, but dinner was really tasty and I enjoyed every mouthful
I've got chicken out for tomorrow. I saved a recipe,can't remember what it's called, just remember that you slit it in half and open it like a butterfly and spread with tomato puree.Can't remember the rest, will have to go look it up. :sigh:

l

Sounds a bit like the chicken pizza recipe!

Oh yes, think you could be right Bev thank you ...now where did I save it? :sigh:

Popping in to subscribed and have a read from the beginning

but would have been rude not to say hello first

Hello and Welcome...nothing exciting, but early days yet! xx

Well done on SUCH a fantastic loss...I can't even begin to imagine the journey you've had xx

OH! JEEZ!!! 3 fat Cumberland saugages...........back to mouth watering mode! I like Turkey sausages too, used to buy them in Iceland, but don't even know if they do them anymore. I would have thought Liver was really healthy, it's in the free foods, but I noticed because Kidney and Venison has (S) by the side of it. Very good for the blood, so I shall have some...and with bacon and onions, sounds really tasty.
I think Tescos do some sausages that are 1syn each, and I've seen people mentioning JOES, but I don't know what they're like or where they're from.
I never drink at home....I've got loads of bottles upstairs, wine, Bacardi...whisky, never even think about it, but if I have a cold I'll get out the whisky to have with hot milk. Now if I have friends round, that';s a whole different kettle of fish...........lol x

I love liver and kidneys as well yum
I usually have kidneys devilled for brunch
And braise my liver in the slow cooker with
a SW onion gravy

Mouth is watering..........:) xx

Back