Plums.......

Happy Holidays

Gold Member
My sister has given me a huge bag of plums. I'm going to make plum & rhubarb crumble (x 2, 1 SW friendly & 1 not). Freeze some but what do I do with the rest?????????????

I've no jars so can't make jam or chutney, but if somebody knows where I can buy some cheap jars I just might!!!

We used to buy jam making stuff from Boots but that was years and year ago. Now if we make it we use the jars out of the recycling.

Last year I made damson gin. Get a large jar and a load of damsons (very precise recipe, this one!!!). Cut a slit in the side of each of the damsons and put into the jar. Pour over a bottle of gin. (Put the empty gin bottle in a safe place, you will need it later.) Add some sugar. Put it in a dark cool place and shake it or stir it when you remember. Taste it after a couple of weeks and add more sugar if you think it needs it.

At Christmas, strain off the damsons and return the damson gin to the original gin bottle (you did remember where you put it, didn't you?).

You can drink it neat (excellent for sore throats) or mix with whatever you like. Our family's rather odd drink is to put a measure of damson gin in a tall glass and top up with chilled Asti Spumante. Yes, I know, it's odd, but really good.

Oh - and in case anyone is wondering, this is not a SW recipe! And if you want to work out how many syns there are in it, feel free - just don't tell me!

Back