Plus size kids clothes what a sign of the times

Starlight

Gold Member
My sister in law was buying Emmas school uniform last week and was shocked to see M&S and Next both do plus sizes kids clothes.

You can get the usual 'Age 5' etc or 'Age 5+' which is the same lenght but is 2 inches wider at the waist :eek:

What a sign of the times that theres actually a market for such things :(

I dunno, I was never in the house when I was little and neither were any of my mates...we would just run about from dawn til dusk! But I think things will change now that there's a recession and the whole world food prices debacle...a return to actually using leftovers and eating normal foods instead of costly fast foods...And getting kids into sport early is a good way to prevent this!

Omg kids plus size??? i may be fat but my kids areant - stephens not the best eater but is down too his condition. Imogens not fat either, but then she eats a lot of fruit and veg

Don't get me started on overweight kids either... I hate seeing overweight kids cos I know what the future holds for them!!! Surely parents have to be answerable to 'someone' if their kids are overweight... unless of course there is a medical condition or whatever... but i just hate hate hate seeing overweight kids!!

Not sure who the 'someone' would be... but I suppose its the same as parents who neglect their kids or who don't give a damn about them... there is nobody to be answerable to... suppose thats the problem!!!

BTW not saying that people who have overweight kids don't give a damn about them... I was one of those kids and it was circumstances/lack of knowledge on my parents side that had me that way.

My kids will NOT be overweight!!!!

I agree to a degree it is awful having to think about these shops catering for overweight children but lets not do the whole "i blame the parents" thing here! .. somtimes it just comes down to how the child is!.
My sister was a really sickly child so much so that her formula had to be imported from germany because she couldnt have anything else she was scrawny lost weight and couldnt gain ... when she hit toddlerhood she was overweight ... gained it steadily she ate the same as me my mum cooked one meal and we all ate it no messing about .. sweets on a saturday as they couldnt afford them all the time.
She is still overweight i think around 16 stone .. all through school she was very big so on that side of things i think my mum would have been thankful for plus sizes for her and my sister wouldnt have been bullied for wearing adult clothes altered for her size ...

sorry if i babbled but i do think there are two sides!

sorry if i babbled but i do think there are two sides!

To a degree I do agree there are two sides... but I don't think that the majority of obese children fall into the category that your sister falls into. As I said in my original post there are, of couse, exceptions but I do think the majority of cases are not because the child is or was sick.

I don't even think 'blaming the parents' would be a good idea... I would be all for educating the parents properly and after that if they don't use the education given to ensure their children are not obese then make them answerable???

Gen xx

Did any of you see the Fat Pets thing that was on at the weekend? It was fat people and their fat pets and a lot of them refused to take responsibility for the fact that their dog or cat was obese and dying even though they were the ones who bought the food!!! I couldn't believe it, I wanted to shake them! They didn't realise that it was abuse to do that to a creature that depends on you to make good choices for it...same with the kids in my opinion!
Although of course for kids with a condition it is different! But are there enough kids out there with a condition to warrent making an entire plus sized kids line of clothing? No! It is just down to bad food habits and lack of exercise for most of these plus sized kids...

I think the fact shops feel there is enough of a demand for this is awful BUT on the other hand, if there is a demand for it then I suppose its better the kids do have a uniform that fits. As someone who at my heaviest couldnt get a uniform to fit me I know how it feels to be forced to wear something different

Ya see i am kind of of the opinion that if there wasn't the 'plus size' range then there might not be so many plus size people!!

I sometimes flit between the two opinions of its great that there are plus size clothes but then other times I feel that if I hadn't have known I could get clothes, not matter what they were, to fit then I might have not got to the size I was/am.... I think it was more of a sub conscious thing rather than actually eating the curry cos I knew I could get clothes to fit... if that makes sense???

But then Im in the position that at my heaviest I was way over the biggest size Evans did! I had to get my clothes online, that did nothing to help a bad situation, something that was hard enough for me as an adult but so much harder for a child to understand.

In my case knowing I was too flipping big even for Evans did nothing to stop me. it wasnt til I 'clicked' that I got myself in gear.

But then Im in the position that at my heaviest I was way over the biggest size Evans did! I had to get my clothes online, that did nothing to help a bad situation, something that was hard enough for me as an adult but so much harder for a child to understand.

In my case knowing I was too flipping big even for Evans did nothing to stop me. it wasnt til I 'clicked' that I got myself in gear.

I know what ya mean... and I contradict myself everytime I think of this argument lol

I just think maybe for me if I had have known I couldn't get 'nice' 'presentable' clothes in bigger sizes I might have 'clicked' earlier... but who knows maybe not!!! and in fact I sat in more often than not cos I had nothing to wear and wouldn't wear some of the bigger clothes I could find.... see contradicting myself again lol

ahhh I dunno :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I get you totally Starlight but I know that when I started to gain a few pounds I just went out and bought bigger clothes and that assisted me in being heavy...if I had stuck with my old wardrobe I feel I may have made more of an effort at that stage to stay a 10-12 instead of allowing myself to move to a 14.
Who knows, I mean I am quite sure these companies discussed exactly these points of view when they were deciding whether or not it was necessary to stock the plus sized kids' clothes. If they have decided there is a big market for it then there is...case by case basis like everything else I suppose! I'm just saying that it is not that hard or that expensive to make healthy choices where your own kids are concerned. My nephews don't get sweets or e-number foods and it has a marked impact on them compared to many kids of their age who are hopped up on preservatives and fake food!

what drives me mad is the fact that i buy my kids clothes I alway have to get adjustables waists and take them in loads
had to return one pair of trousers as when they were pulled into fit they looked like my daughter had a nappy on
so here's hoping that the normal size clothes will fit my brood now and they can keep the ridiculous sizing in a different range (plus sizes)
hmm i sound horid now but thats not how i meant to sound iyswim

Back