Poo

LisaC

Gold Member
Ok, there's been the odd thread on this subject & I can assure this this isn't my favourite topic to discuss but I've got a query. Since doing SW I have always been regular from all the fruit, veg & very balanced meals.

For the last few weekends I've been makling myself a veg curry usually consisting of BNS, onion, tomatoes, grean beans & then I'll make my own SW paste, it makes a decent sized amount that lasts two dinners so I'll have it two nights in a row. I've now realised that on those two days & the day after I don't need the 'toilet'. My veg curry is purely just vegetables & the paste/sauce. Could it affect me because there's no protein in there so I may be lacking? I'm not really an expert on this subject (who is!?) but weigh in is tomorrow & I know it will affect it if I'm still bunged up. And it's weird that I'm usually very regular so it must have done something to me.

I've been having puffed wheat with yogurt for breakfast, cheese salad for lunch & then I'll snack on superfree & use my syns. I'm not sure what to make for dinner tonight to get things moving again...

Same problem, although mine i can only put down to quitting smoking.
You could try hi fibre things like bran, the hi-fi bars from class, or i think there's some kind of soup recipe some people rave about on here.
I resorted to taking Senna the night before my weigh in as i wanted to try and get an accurate reading.
Sorry i can't be much help but didn't wanna read and run, as it was probably quite hard for you to ask!
Good luck and i shall be following this, and hopefully someone with a lot more experience will come up with an answer for you!

Difficult to say since you have been having lots of fruit and veg on your SW journey but make sure you have plenty of liquid as fibre can have the opposite to usual effect if you don't have enough fluid to speed its passage. Maybe have a large glass of water before you have your curry then drink during and after a bit more than usual if you know it's having this effect. I have to do this if I'm having scan bran or they take a while to reappear (sorry). Not sure about the protein as its generally the fibre which has an effect on transit. Also if you're having veg and it's usually ok, maybe there's something in the paste thats not agreeing with you.

I find drinking hard (weak bladder) & in truth I'm drinking loads!! Does all the veg in the curry count towards fibre too? Maybe thats what the problem is then.

Yes the veg is def fibre. If you have a weak bladder then make sure you have it on an evening at home where the extra fluid will mean more frequent trips to the loo. The veg is good for you so don't cut it out just make sure you are able to keep the fluids topped up.

I'll remember more veg = more fluids. I'm just not sure what to do today. Maybe I just need to keep drinking.

Peppermint tea stimulates digestion - might be worth a try xx

Hi hun, did you have rice with your curry? I asked a dietician about something very similar not long ago and she told me that white rice is one of the worst foods to cause constipation and water retention, apparently because it's very starchy. Try some pineapple or melon, worked for me :) xx

Hi just wanted to add be careful about using laxatives on a regular basis (even as infruently as using each once a week could be classed as regularly) as even relatively "gentle" laxatives used regularly long term can cause long term problems - your bowel can become "lazy" and stop working by itself.

If you need them because you're constipated then that's ok, but try and use as sparingly as possible. If you have long term constipation then doctors may prescribe regular use, but then the doctor monitors you so it's safer that way.

I've seen patients with unpleasant complications due to laxative overuse so just something for everyone to bear in mind x

I don't usually, the first time in fact, but i hadnt been in a week since i gave up smoking and had tried all the food/drink remedies to no avail.
i would never tell anyone to do this, i was simply saying that is what i had to end up doing sadly x

Sorry it wasn't aimed at you, just a comment in general. I quoted your post but I wasn't saying you suggested people should do it. X

No i know, was just covering my butt as i saw it wasn't very clear :) x

Thanks for the replies. No I didn't have rice, just the curry. I ended up buying tablets from
Boots. I've never had this problem before so I wouldn't use them regularly. I hope they do something, other wise I'll end up feeling rubbish soon!

jezzi999 said:
Hi just wanted to add be careful about using laxatives on a regular basis (even as infruently as using each once a week could be classed as regularly) as even relatively "gentle" laxatives used regularly long term can cause long term problems - your bowel can become "lazy" and stop working by itself.

If you need them because you're constipated then that's ok, but try and use as sparingly as possible. If you have long term constipation then doctors may prescribe regular use, but then the doctor monitors you so it's safer that way.

I've seen patients with unpleasant complications due to laxative overuse so just something for everyone to bear in mind x

Just to jump on this thread, since slimming world i just dont 'go', ever! I usually take a couple of superdrug constipation relief on a saturday which means i will generally go on a sunday and this is what i've had to do for months. So im using them because i need to and get bad stomach pains but is this dangerous?! I used to go regularly before SW on my very unhealthy diet!

Just to jump on this thread, since slimming world i just dont 'go', ever! I usually take a couple of superdrug constipation relief on a saturday which means i will generally go on a sunday and this is what i've had to do for months. So im using them because i need to and get bad stomach pains but is this dangerous?! I used to go regularly before SW on my very unhealthy diet!

I'm like that too - it's only days were I have extra fat in diet - like BBQ at the weekend and some wine that I "go" regular. I drink at least 2 litres of water a day and 6 portions fruit and veg but still nothing. After 3 days I start to get back pain and feel crap - I have found a bowl of all bran helps - although it means using my HEB first thing but figured it better than tablets.
I think the fibre in the bran is different to the type in veg ?

I can't believe the effect this diet is having on others. Total opposite for me. I am visiting the powder room more than ever! Like, 3 times a day! If you are a little plugged up, my mum swears by tinned prunes and yoghurt with a glass of oj. Does the job a treat apparently!

I think the problem may be lack of oil.
Try having extra virgin olive oil instead as a Healthy extra, or have oily fish a couple of times a week, like mackerel, salmon etc
Your bowel is a delicate machine and needs delicate handling.

Get some treatment for the weak bladder too, there is loads they can do for you now. If you're putting off drinking to compensate then not enough fluid will go into the bowel to keep it flowing.
And maybe try to bulk that curry with something perhaps lentils?

I think the problem may be lack of oil.
Try having extra virgin olive oil instead as a Healthy extra, or have oily fish a couple of times a week, like mackerel, salmon etc
Your bowel is a delicate machine and needs delicate handling.

Get some treatment for the weak bladder too, there is loads they can do for you now. If you're putting off drinking to compensate then not enough fluid will go into the bowel to keep it flowing.
And maybe try to bulk that curry with something perhaps lentils?

Thanks Shirleen. I'm veggie so can't eat the fish but I could have oil every now & then. I ended up buying some tablets from a pharmacy yesterday & they worked. I saw my Dr a month ago about my bladder, he was referring me on so I'm waiting to hear! I really upped my water intake a few months back which means I'm needing the loo more than ever but it's something I have to put up with for now, I'd rather be taking in the extra fluid.
I did put lentils in the curry a few weeks back but they didn't seem to cook (expand) well, maybe I did it wrong! I'll give them another go, I have a big packet of them at home.

londongirl88 said:
I might just try the oil thing, would vegetable oil work? How many syns is that?

Veg oil is quite high cals, extra virgin olive oil can be a b choice x

Back