Porridge - how do you make it?

Lumpy

One day at a time
Hi guys,

Tried the porridge for the first time this morning, didnt go well! Any tips???

I used 140 mls water, but it seemed to be too runny. I didn't eat it, but what i did taste was really sweet too........

Help!

140ml, is really runny. I like it that way as when it cools it starts to thicken up.

Also slightly longer in the microwave & it also thickens a bit - BEWARE it has a tendancy to expand over the edge of teh bowl, so you have to keep a close eye on it.

If you want thicker, use less water; no harm in that.

And YES, it is VERY sweet

Thanks Sean,.

Yes sweeeeet, and big sweetner aftertaste! Eeeeewww. Dont want to give it up yet though, prepared to give it another shot.

Thanks

I make mine in a pan and add a vanilla pack to it, doing it like this i use around 220mls water and whisk constantly it's gorgeous and creamy.

I make mine with cold water and then microwave for 1min 40. It turns out a lot smoother that way. I probably use about 200ml but I would use less if you like it more stodgy.

Hope that helps x

Hi I use around 140ml of warm water then stick it in the microwave for about 1.min 20sec. If you leave for another 1min it should thicken up nicely. I also found it sweet, but after a while you get used to it.

Mine has to be reallllly stodgy!

So I use less than 100 mls to start with and use hot waterso by the time i mix it up (usually the time i walk from my kitchen to my desk) Sometimes I have two packs together, and just every now and then top the water up as I eat it if i find powdery bits. every time i microwave mine it comes out horrible. I used to add sweetner too to mine (i know!!) but now its fine plain.

I haven't tried adding other flavours, but I know some in my old group used too, even if it was just a little banana or chocolate to give it a ready brek feel, but i love the porridge plain, so gonna keep at that now until I need a change.

Good Luck, and dont give up, always try making something different with your shakes, i love my chocolate ones with a spoon of coffee, vanilla with a spoon of coffee is delicious hot and cold.

Sometimes banana and choc together is good too! I sometimes struggle to get my packs down my neck, so I mix two together and have a larger drink.

I put psyllium husk powder in mine (to be more 'regular' - and it also makes the porridge much more gooey) and use 150ml's of water, or a little more. Stir every 30 seconds, and do it for about 1 minute 30. Then I mix a bit of the Fruit water flavour in to make it into a porridge with 'jam' flavouring! It's yum.

I mixed mine with hot water from the kettle and didn't microwave it.
I think I used around 250mls of water, but then I like my porridge reeeeaaaalllly runny, basically it's a porridge-flavoured shake :p

It doesn't taste very sweet at all to me though, even when it was thicker it didn't.

Wow guys we all like it our own way dont we :)

Thanks everyone, I will try again tomorrow!

I add the hot water a little at a time too and sort of mush it with the back of the spoon so there are no dry bits but I do like it lumpy.

i make mine like minerva, with the psyllium husks in - it doubles the quantity!
daisy x

The husks or the powder from the capsules?

Back