Possible Side Effect Question

MissAma

Silver Member
Ohhh I so hope you all tell me this has nothing to do with CD...

I woke up in the middle of the night wondering who was wailing as if in excruciating pain. It was me! I had a cramp (hope that's the right word) in my calf that hasn't let go for 30 minutes and the pain was absolutely unbearable!

The only two things I knew may work were to step on it and extend the leg and to pinch it with a needle and while I did the first one I didn't dare do the second but it didn't help. Anyone knows other tips?

And the main question is.... should I expect more? Is this lactose being eaten out of muscular tissue?:sigh:

this is what it says on the CD website:

A few people are prone to cramp while using the Diet as their Sole Source of nutrition. It is not caused by the diet itself, but by the increased throughput of fluid in the body’s tissues. The muscle spasms result from changes in sodium levels as the water shifts between cells. The remedy for most people is to keep warm, whilst a drink of slimline tonic water just before bedtime may also help, as it contains quinine – as may "Crampex" tablets.

It's possibly a reaction to the changing sodium levels in your blood, your body will get used to it, if you used to eat alot of salty things then your body will be protesting a little, but will thank you eventually.

The best thing to do is stretch it out, stick your heel out, put your hands round the top of you calf just below your knee, thumbs at the back, and push down towards your ankle. It will hurt at the time, but keep doing it until it goes away.

Hope that helps, if not then you'll just look highly amusing to passers by! :D

Edit... cross posted! Devonbabe that's LOADS you've lost, well done! I aspire to your greatness!

Last edited:
It's possibly a reaction to the changing sodium levels in your blood, your body will get used to it, if you used to eat alot of salty things then your body will be protesting a little, but will thank you eventually.

The best thing to do is stretch it out, stick your heel out, put your hands round the top of you calf just below your knee, thumbs at the back, and push down towards your ankle. It will hurt at the time, but keep doing it until it goes away.

Hope that helps, if not then you'll just look highly amusing to passers by! :D

Edit... cross posted! Devonbabe that's LOADS you've lost, well done! I aspire to your greatness![/quote]

LOL !! thanks !

Thank you very much everyone!!! Makes perfect sense... guess I am drinking too much water... I did a constat 3.5/4 liters every day in the past 8 but was having no more than 1 liter before even on a scorching day! So I presume it makes sense. The loss of salt wouldn't really be a factor, I wasn't really using it.

I will try the awkward passers-by-amusing dance next time it happens :)

Oh no, absolutely not, in fact I was wondering when it passed if worst came to worst and this was a constant side effect, how many of these could I take to achieve my goal and the answer was - one a day, more than 30 minutes in that pain a day may start to sway me and alter my determination :)

I had this in the first week but it has stopped now. I just did deep breathing but my OH was really scared as I could not speak to tell him whats wrong!!!

I have had cramp before so badly that for the next couple of days I have limped around as the muscles have torn (slightly). My O/H is a rugby ref and keep fit fanatic and says you should slowly point your toes to the ceiling and then slowly stretch your toes out so they are pointed and then back up so they are curled to the ceiling.
It's bloody painful, but it does work.

I have suffered with cramp regularly since I was a teenager. I have been on quinnie tablets from the doctor in the past and they were fantastic.

I'm on day 5 now and I'm getting more cramps than ever, in my jaw, neck, diaphram, legs, feet, in fact pretty much everywhere. The jaw and diaphram ones are the worst!

When I get cramp in my feet/legs I find standing on a cold surface helps loads. I even had laminate flooring put in my bedroom so I'd always have something cold to stick my foot onto!

Fingers crossed it'll pass soon, although I'm not sure mine will ever go away seeing as I suffered before SS

Just a short update in case this has frightened people.... the day I wrote this there was a passing one in my arm but since, no more cramps to report to date. I have made sure I'm well "watered" at all times so maybe that helped as well.

This thing is certainly worth it even with cramps included!

Back