Pre Op diet progress

thank you SO much I really appreciate it
so I will stay on plan until a week before and then do the 7 day refeed that Slim and Save advise

last night I again looked at my strengths and weaknesses - I am preparing this for counselling today - I did agree with my counsellor to do a list of what my strengths were

now when I started this I found I was also doing weaknesses and that some things that might appear as a strength at say a job interview are in fact for me a weakness as well

two that spring to mind are punctuality and list making
I keep military time - I have never been late I would rather leave the house half hour early and sit in the car or catch a train one hour early and go for a coffee than be late
lateness really makes me twitchy - think how much time I waste every day of my life
list making
my list making is a bit ocd I have permanent lists for going away for the weekend - camping - basic shopping - you name it I might have a list for it - medicine chest - doggies medicine chest etc
well I have just been down the garden with those ocd lists and burnt them - now I feel panicked - BUT last year I collapsed with bilateral pulmonary emboli and was collapsed on the road outside my house - with my quick thinking friend I might not be here now - did my world fall apart when I went to hospital with NO packed bag - did anyone at home use my list to bring me things - of course not and a revelation to me my world did not fall apart

with my permanent lists I used to rewrite them for ticking off and packing and I used to do that at least three times taking stuff out just in case - I know that borders on the neurotic hardly a strength in every day life

why I have I put this there so it is public - partly for cleansing and partly to remind myself that I need to find something else to fill my time and it will NOT be eating

so plan for today is
I will try today the vanilla crispy not quite sure how to make that up - perhaps it is the same as a shake - will search for that
then I will a bar
dinner (meal) will be my veggie allowance of cauliflower and mushroom and have the macaroni pack with that
then a final shake for the evening - I have vegetarian agar agar and might use it to make a dessert with - will check with the lovely people at s and s
will also report back here for the answer as to if I can use it :):)

feeling positive about life certainly is making changes
I went to counselling then went to the hairdressers to check an appointment and have come out with a new cut and red hair

feel great
hopefully I will have lost another little bit of weight by the morning - every part pound will count before surgery
been in touch with Rob and he advises me to refeed for the 7 days before surgery and not to start again until the 12 week mark

However I also sent a query off to another vlcd site and there is what their advice is

I did this as I was trying to find out what was best for me I did tell them it was a major op as it is a total knee replacement
I have to say with all the advice I have received I am very shocked by their answer and a little worried that it could just be money they are after.

think I will just let the authorities here know so they can make a decision on the ethics of such a response.

Dear Hazel,
I have referred your details to Penelope ****** who has come back to me with the following points:

Knee Surgery no 'recovery time' required.

Start now or wait until after?

There are pro's and con's: -

Start now, lose some weight and be three quarters - 1 stone lighter on that 'new' knee (depending on how soon you start of course) definitely a plus!

Start now and attempt to stick to it whilst in hospital?
Not so easy and of course we're also not sure how long you think you will be in hospital for?

So it is up to you but if you are only into week 2 of the diet on going into hospital it would be better starting as soon as you are home, would be Penelope ******'s advice!

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Hope that this helps and if we may be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Kind Regards,[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Helen.[/FONT]

I certainly would not do a VLCD while I was in hospital or even recovering at home. Not sure if they'd even let you do it in hospital anyway? I might not wait 12 weeks to restart personally but your body will surely need a nutritious and balanced diet to help with the healing process after a major op. Doing it beforehand to lose all the weight you can before major joint surgery is a good idea but the 7 day refeed will be needed and is the sensible thing to do. Just eat nice and healthily after the op and return to the VLCD when you feel healed and ready.

I waited a good five weeks post op to start s&s figured my body needed as much help as possible. Deffinately make sure you take your time, not worth risking not healing well hun x

I will be doing a refeed on the week before the op (may even do it with two weeks to go) and eating as healthily as I can for at least 8 weeks then IF I get my docs permission I will go low carb for two weeks (I will reduce them gradually) and then be ready to get back on s and s at week 12
I go tot he clinic today for my pre op assessment and I have many questions I will want to ask them

I just want to put a plea out now to all and any deity that will support me that all goes well today so I can have the op

hope all is well with everyone
I need to report that I have lost another bit of weight today - not much but every little bit counts

hope everyone has a good day
H xx

so I now have the advice from the dietician at the private hospital I will be going to

she would prefer I refeed on the week prior to the week before the surgery and then eat a good healthy diet for that last week
the reasoning is so your body has time to find its 'happy; fluid level with normal eating if you only refeed in that last week although your body retains the fluids for the carbs it does not have time to find its happy place
BUT if I want to I can refeed just that last week

so I will be taking her best advice
and will start a 10 day refeed (I only need 7 but would rather do it really slowly on the Saturday 16th June
I am hoping that for those 10 days I will at least sts but hopefully lose another little bit of weight
so I have two weeks from today to stay on the plan 100% now due to my slow weight loss due to lack of mobility I could lose another 4lb in that time so hopefully that will all help at the moment of surgery

now the biggest shock was learning I have to wear SKIRTS while in there and fully enclosed slippers - so a skirt with granny slippers is NOT a good look
I so wish culottes where in fashion so at least I could compromise - I might try cut offs if I can find any as she did say shorts were an option - however I think she meant mid thigh at the longest but I can always do thick :):) I used to be blond but not sure I can carry it off now

as I will never wear skirts again I will go to matalan for them or asda

hope everyone has a lovely weekend
this is sent from and very murky wiltshire

H xx

well I am up and about
after a busy day yesterday preparing more ground for veggies at the farm
DH and I have a veggie patch at the farm which is organic with free range geese ducks and hens and cockerels - there is one aggressive goose who now tries to creep up on me from behind things as he cant work out what the big stick is I carry and why I can hiss louder than he can
and one lovely but lonely gander who seems to be a bit of an outcast and he has fallen in love with my DH and tries to warm me off - so sweet

but after trying to do that my knee is painful today
I have decided to compromise with the skirt issue at the hospital I am going to try to get culottes and if I cant I will get wide leg trousers and cut them off and hem then

so off I got to matalan to see what is cheap and cheerful

Back