Pregnancy and Baby Advice Thread: From Conception to Birth, and Beyond!

Yeah its the only way to shift constipation in a new baby.
Frances I guess the advice given on water differs depending on who you ask. I know anyone I've ever spoken to about water says not to give it to new borns as it can take the place of formula in their little tummies and formula is more benificial to them. My sisters have also heard the same from their hv and midwives. I've only ever given water before 6mnths if the baby is constipated. x

Yea well that's true.. Seems it applies to every aspect of pregnancy too which makes it all the more confusing for us newbies when we're told a whole load of different things from various people... That's why Mammies are great.. They know.. They've been there!! :D

Girls at what stage did you all have your tummy measured ?
My bump seems to be growing at a ridiculously fast rate which I'm sure is normal once you get in to the third trimester but I'm worrying about having a big baby as the consultant said due to me being under 5ft they are a bit more concerned with petite ladies having bigger babies .
I don't want to end up having a c-section!
I'm sure at this stage it's probably me just being paranoid but I can't help worrying :/

My bump seems to be growing at a ridiculously fast rate which I'm sure is normal once you get in to the third trimester but I'm worrying about having a big baby as the consultant said due to me being under 5ft they are a bit more concerned with petite ladies having bigger babies .
I'm sure at this stage it's probably me just being paranoid but I can't help worrying :/

I think I was first measured at 25 weeks hun x try not to worry, I thought I was huge at that stage, but luckily I was measuring spot on xx

I've never been measured so can't answer, sorry..
But... Am hoping baby size doesn't go by bump size... As much as I don't really fancy a 10 lb'er... I want a nice healthy 7-7.5lb baby.. And going by my lickle bump, if it went my bump, I reckon I'd be looking at a teeny baby.. Which of course would still be fab but I like a little chubbiness to a baby.. Makes them less fragile looking... :)

I was first measured at 25 weeks then again this week at 28 weeks, 25 weeks I was measuring bang on, at 28 weeks I'm measuring at 31 eek!!

I was first measured at 25 weeks and was measuring 30 weeks!! But then by 30 weeks I was measuring fine.

Perhaps baby's just having a growth spurt I guess people carry the weight differently aswell .. I think mine is pretty much all on my stomach which makes me look huge.
I have my 28wk app next Friday so will ask if I need to be measured.
It must vary from area to area x

I was first measured at 25 weeks and was consistently a week ahead all the way through. Was told to expect a big baby but Seth was 7lb 8oz so a big bump doesn't necessarily mean a big baby and visa versa xxx

I was first measured at 25 weeks and was consistently a week ahead all the way through. Was told to expect a big baby but Seth was 7lb 8oz so a big bump doesn't necessarily mean a big baby and visa versa xxx

I'm hoping I'm like you as doc says I'm measuring 2 weeks ahead! Xx

I've always measured bang on the number of weeks I am, but I can't help think that they change where the measure each time. It's hardly an exact science so I wouldn't read into it much.

They're supposed to measure from the top of your womb apparently, so that might be why they change, as it moves up. But to be fair I wouldn't worry anyway. They told me at all my scans I was having a "big baby" and he was 7lb 12oz so I wouldn't pay too much attention to what they say. X

They're supposed to measure from the top of your womb apparently, so that might be why they change, as it moves up. But to be fair I wouldn't worry anyway. They told me at all my scans I was having a "big baby" and he was 7lb 12oz so I wouldn't pay too much attention to what they say. X

Yes I know your womb grows bigger but I swear they measure slightly different places so recently lower down at the top. Surely my womb is still as high? Who knows, and like you say you hardly had a big baby. My friend who had a 10lb 6oz baby was only measuring one week big throughout so I'd take it all with a pinch of salt really x

Yes I know your womb grows bigger but I swear they measure slightly different places so recently lower down at the top. Surely my womb is still as high? Who knows, and like you say you hardly had a big baby. My friend who had a 10lb 6oz baby was only measuring one week big throughout so I'd take it all with a pinch of salt really x

Best way. My midwife is pretty useless anyway so I didn't really pay that much attention to her. X

How are all you lovely ladies today? Hope cole and Seth are a bit better both Sarah's!
In Birmingham, we start measuring at 26-28 weeks and then at each appt after. If you're seen by someone else in between eg a dr, they aren't supposed to measure again but many do. What we look for is consistent growth, ie they are following a line and not dropping below or above. The measurement doesn't really give you an idea of weight-I measured bang on 50th all the way and had a 9lb 4oz baby which plotted above it. So like I say, it's the only method we have of checking growth and but it's a pretty pants one.

Am feeling stressed and upset today. :( which is v unlike me! Saw the hv yesterday who said Abigail is putting on too much weight now I'm giving her solids and to cut back on her breast feeds and to watch what I'm feeding her.Apparently if I'm not careful I will have a fat baby and child. I've had weight issues pretty much forever and im terrified she will end up going through what I have. She doesn't have snacks, I give her loads of fruit and veg and healthy foods I've cooked and I don't know what to do. Sorry for the rant/offload! I'm also really teary....Maybe it's the return of the dreaded TOTM! I hope not. Am also in the process of trying to organise going back to work and although it's a few months off I'm not looking forward to it! :'(

How are all you lovely ladies today? Hope cole and Seth are a bit better both Sarah's!
In Birmingham, we start measuring at 26-28 weeks and then at each appt after. If you're seen by someone else in between eg a dr, they aren't supposed to measure again but many do. What we look for is consistent growth, ie they are following a line and not dropping below or above. The measurement doesn't really give you an idea of weight-I measured bang on 50th all the way and had a 9lb 4oz baby which plotted above it. So like I say, it's the only method we have of checking growth and but it's a pretty pants one.

Am feeling stressed and upset today. :( which is v unlike me! Saw the hv yesterday who said Abigail is putting on too much weight now I'm giving her solids and to cut back on her breast feeds and to watch what I'm feeding her.Apparently if I'm not careful I will have a fat baby and child. I've had weight issues pretty much forever and im terrified she will end up going through what I have. She doesn't have snacks, I give her loads of fruit and veg and healthy foods I've cooked and I don't know what to do. Sorry for the rant/offload! I'm also really teary....Maybe it's the return of the dreaded TOTM! I hope not. Am also in the process of trying to organise going back to work and although it's a few months off I'm not looking forward to it! :'(

Hi Susie,

I'm sorry your health visitor wasn't very nice about Abigail - is Abigail moving around yet? the reason i ask is my niece put on a fair bit of weight when she started solids and was still drinking quite a lot of milk but once she started crawling she sort of "slimmed" out again (wrong term because babies are never really fat, but she obviously was burning more calories so although she was eating plenty it was being used rather than stored).
It sounds like she's getting a nice healthy diet and to be honest i think your health visitor is talking rubbish and it sounds like you are doing the best thing and i can't see that anything needs to change. If you were giving Abigail lots of junk food then maybe that could be changed but it doesn't sound like that at all, so just keep doing what you are doing hun and ignore the health visitor. big hugs xx

Oh Susie you poor love... Am sure you don't need to worry.. Maybe just a smaller portion of solids? I'm assuming now she's having solids, it's not possible to stop giving them.. Besides anything that'd be a bit mean :( How old is Abigail?
Not sure what advice to give as I've no experience... I would have thought though as she was a big baby anyway she's going to be weigh above the "norm"? Could be wrong though.. Sorry.. Not much help n feel quite awful as you're awful such a huge help to me (us).. xxx

oh susie thats awful!! TBH i wouldnt listen, unless shes eating junk foods then to me shes healthy!! wait until shes running around, they lose it! Jacob was a little chunk once xx

How are all you lovely ladies today? Hope cole and Seth are a bit better both Sarah's! In Birmingham, we start measuring at 26-28 weeks and then at each appt after. If you're seen by someone else in between eg a dr, they aren't supposed to measure again but many do. What we look for is consistent growth, ie they are following a line and not dropping below or above. The measurement doesn't really give you an idea of weight-I measured bang on 50th all the way and had a 9lb 4oz baby which plotted above it. So like I say, it's the only method we have of checking growth and but it's a pretty pants one. Am feeling stressed and upset today. :( which is v unlike me! Saw the hv yesterday who said Abigail is putting on too much weight now I'm giving her solids and to cut back on her breast feeds and to watch what I'm feeding her.Apparently if I'm not careful I will have a fat baby and child. I've had weight issues pretty much forever and im terrified she will end up going through what I have. She doesn't have snacks, I give her loads of fruit and veg and healthy foods I've cooked and I don't know what to do. Sorry for the rant/offload! I'm also really teary....Maybe it's the return of the dreaded TOTM! I hope not. Am also in the process of trying to organise going back to work and although it's a few months off I'm not looking forward to it! :'(

Hi Suzy thanks for clearing that up,
I didn't realise you were in Birmingham , I'm Wolverhampton which probably explains why I haven't been measured yet as I am 27 weeks (28 wk app next fri)
Sorry to hear that you are feeling upset , I can't help but feel that the HV should have been a little more sensitive? Especially knowing you are a new mum and how hard it is juggling everything and feeling like you are doing a good job ( which you are by the way ! Your little girl is beautiful!)
I know it's their job to advise with regards to baby's weight and health however it sounds like you are doing everything right with regards to her diet so please don't feel that you are doing anything wrong.. Did she give you some support and advise re feeds and what you can do to slow down her weight gain?
Are you going to be going back to work part time or full time? I imagine the thought of going back is contributing to you feeling upset to .. I'm sure it's something were all going to feel emotional about.. My baby's not even here yet and I'm already terrified of the the thought that one day I will have to leave her/him .
Xx

Thanks all. Will try and write a reply without becoming teary!
She just said watch what you feed her and reduce the feeds and that was it. No advice on how, how much or anything and I was so shocked and upset I didn't think to ask. I've done some googling and it seems as if I'm doing things ok....she doesn't have huge portions, she just enjoys what she has. Might have a look at baby-led weaning as if they feed themselves she can't over-eat surely?
Hubby thinks I'm being silly (tho understands why I'm upset) and says she will slim down when she starts moving.
Phew-no tears. Think I must be hormonal. This sort of stuff doesn't usually upset me!
Sorry for being a wimp ladies! Xx

Back