Pregnancy and Baby Advice Thread: From Conception to Birth, and Beyond!

Hey missie as long as little Seth is still feeding well and still having wet nappies I wouldn't worry. If he goes off feeds or he stops peeing as much take him to see your doc.xx

I had this as well...from about the same age her poo was more green than yellow. It varied sometimes to 'proper' mustard colour but like Seth she was feeding well, weeing loads etc. I asked the HV and she said sometimes it's just our diet that influences it and not to worry. I did try to make sure she emptied a boob though before moving her over (used to massage etc), sometimes too more of the fore milk can cause green and mucusy poos but it didn't make that much difference if I'm honest. Xxx

Thanks ladies - that does help!

That makes sense Susie, that our diet would affect the milk and therefore poos. They vary in colour from practically neon yellow to dark yellowey brown with a bit of green. They are mega runny at the mo, almost looks like diarrhoea but he's showing no signs of dehydration so not sure if I should worry? There has been an awful lot of poop over the last few days! He's got a sore bum again too even though I'm keeping him regularly changed and sudocrem'd. Poor baby has been so unsettled today :(

I did google (I know, I know!) and I read about fore/hind milk imbalance. I do try to make him finish a boob but will be a bit more conscious of that just in case it does help. :) xxx

Thanks ladies - that does help! That makes sense Susie, that our diet would affect the milk and therefore poos. They vary in colour from practically neon yellow to dark yellowey brown with a bit of green. They are mega runny at the mo, almost looks like diarrhoea but he's showing no signs of dehydration so not sure if I should worry? There has been an awful lot of poop over the last few days! He's got a sore bum again too even though I'm keeping him regularly changed and sudocrem'd. Poor baby has been so unsettled today :( I did google (I know, I know!) and I read about fore/hind milk imbalance. I do try to make him finish a boob but will be a bit more conscious of that just in case it does help. :) xxx

Just an idea... Sarah, have you been eating spicy food or citrus fruits? Maybe even pineapple? I think they can all affect baby's digestive system.

Soooooo, you all know it's our wedding a week tomorrow and obviously Cole will be there. I'm just a bit worried about the night do. DJ starts at 7.30 and it goes on until 1am and I'm worried about him being in that much noise for so long. There was a suggestion that my dad might take him to their room a bit earlier but don't know if that's happening now.
Have any of you taken a 9-10 week old baby to a party/wedding before? Or is there anything you could recommend? Obviously we can't leave him at home with baby sitters seeing as everyone we trust will be at the wedding anyway!! Have even considered taking him up to our room myself about tennish and letting everyone else just get on with the party.

Soooooo, you all know it's our wedding a week tomorrow and obviously Cole will be there. I'm just a bit worried about the night do. DJ starts at 7.30 and it goes on until 1am and I'm worried about him being in that much noise for so long. There was a suggestion that my dad might take him to their room a bit earlier but don't know if that's happening now. Have any of you taken a 9-10 week old baby to a party/wedding before? Or is there anything you could recommend? Obviously we can't leave him at home with baby sitters seeing as everyone we trust will be at the wedding anyway!! Have even considered taking him up to our room myself about tennish and letting everyone else just get on with the party.

We were supposed to be going to a wedding tomorrow, we accepted the invite before Seth was born. But with how it's been today we've decided not to go. He'd probably end up screaming for the whole thing, getting overtired and/or feeding constantly. So on balance no fun for him we'd not be able to enjoy ourselves.

You know Cole better than anyone so maybe he'd handle it better than Seth? Seth's been ok at pubs/cafés in the evening up until about 9 but no later and they're less noisy than a wedding reception. If it was me I'd play it by ear on the day and see how he is but have a plan in place for if it's getting too much for him.

You might find you want to go up a bit earlier anyway, after our wedding we were in bed for 11 as we were completely knackered lol ;)

Just an idea... Sarah, have you been eating spicy food or citrus fruits? Maybe even pineapple? I think they can all affect baby's digestive system.

I don't eat fruit so no - have been drinking orange juice though? And nothing too spicy. I find that he's unsettled if I have too much caffeine though so I'm continuing to cut back on that. Dairy can be a problem too but really hoping I don't have to cut back that at any point! I love me cheese too much :(

We were supposed to be going to a wedding tomorrow, we accepted the invite before Seth was born. But with how it's been today we've decided not to go. He'd probably end up screaming for the whole thing, getting overtired and/or feeding constantly. So on balance no fun for him we'd not be able to enjoy ourselves. You know Cole better than anyone so maybe he'd handle it better than Seth? Seth's been ok at pubs/cafés in the evening up until about 9 but no later and they're less noisy than a wedding reception. If it was me I'd play it by ear on the day and see how he is but have a plan in place for if it's getting too much for him. You might find you want to go up a bit earlier anyway, after our wedding we were in bed for 11 as we were completely knackered lol ;)

Through the day I've no worries at all. We're getting married at 2 and there are plenty of people to help out with him. Plus we're taking the pram for him to sleep in. There's a gap between the day and night do of about an hour so I might see if someone is going up to their room for a rest then and will take him (a parent, I mean, not just some randomer). My sister will be 22 weeks pregnant and has my 2 year old nephew so they won't be staying up all night. Might ask if she'd mind taking him until we go to bed. I'm seeing her tomorrow so will mention it. If we have to go to bed early then so be it, Cole's our priority at the end of the day. Xxx

Should have said, when I said we're going to a wedding I meant evening do! So starting at 7.30. I wouldn't be worried about the daytime either. Sounds like a good plan, he'd be with someone you trust too so you could both relax and know he's well looked after :) xxx

Should have said, when I said we're going to a wedding I meant evening do! So starting at 7.30. I wouldn't be worried about the daytime either. Sounds like a good plan, he'd be with someone you trust too so you could both relax and know he's well looked after :) xxx

See this is the problem with having a baby 9 weeks before the wedding. We've got cracking timing ;) My Dad said to tell the Dj to just turn the music low....yep, cos that'd be a party to remember!!!xxx

I don't eat fruit so no - have been drinking orange juice though? And nothing too spicy. I find that he's unsettled if I have too much caffeine though so I'm continuing to cut back on that. Dairy can be a problem too but really hoping I don't have to cut back that at any point! I love me cheese too much :(

Don't think orange juice would affect baby's nappy. It was just an idea re food. Yeah I'd be gutted if I had to give up cheese too x

My friends got married with a young baby and he just slept in a corner in his pram, how does Cole sleep with noise? I would maybe try it but have a back up plan xx

Soooooo, you all know it's our wedding a week tomorrow and obviously Cole will be there. I'm just a bit worried about the night do. DJ starts at 7.30 and it goes on until 1am and I'm worried about him being in that much noise for so long. There was a suggestion that my dad might take him to their room a bit earlier but don't know if that's happening now.
Have any of you taken a 9-10 week old baby to a party/wedding before? Or is there anything you could recommend? Obviously we can't leave him at home with baby sitters seeing as everyone we trust will be at the wedding anyway!! Have even considered taking him up to our room myself about tennish and letting everyone else just get on with the party.

Hi hun, when mike and I got married last year my niece was just over 3 months old and she wasn't phased by the noise at all and she loved looking at the lights... In fact she cried when we cuddled her in to us as she wanted to face out and watch the lights! My friend also had her 3 week old baby there and he was fine with the noise too. They did leave a little earlier to go to bed but only because she was bf and wasn't confident with feeding in public at that stage. My niece was there until the end at 1am and apparently slept very well that night. So fingers crossed Cole will be fine and having lots to look at will keep him entertained. Might be worth having someone on hand who could take him for a walk in the pram to settle him etc and also to keep his tummy topped up. Xxx

My friends got married with a young baby and he just slept in a corner in his pram, how does Cole sleep with noise? I would maybe try it but have a back up plan xx

He's not too bad with normal noise. In fact, there was a Caribbean band in the local shopping centre the other week and the steel drums sent him to sleep!! My sister said they'll probably be going to bed at about 10 so he can go up with them for a few hours or so. Xx

Hi hun, when mike and I got married last year my niece was just over 3 months old and she wasn't phased by the noise at all and she loved looking at the lights... In fact she cried when we cuddled her in to us as she wanted to face out and watch the lights! My friend also had her 3 week old baby there and he was fine with the noise too. They did leave a little earlier to go to bed but only because she was bf and wasn't confident with feeding in public at that stage. My niece was there until the end at 1am and apparently slept very well that night. So fingers crossed Cole will be fine and having lots to look at will keep him entertained. Might be worth having someone on hand who could take him for a walk in the pram to settle him etc and also to keep his tummy topped up. Xxx

Ooh I hope he's like that!! I'd love to have him there all night with us, to me it's our first day together as a 'proper' family (sounds daft, obviously we're a proper family now!!) so don't want to be sending him off with people if I can help it. He loves lights and things so he'll probably be entertained. Got plenty of volunteers to look after him and make sure he's fed :) xxx

Ooh I hope he's like that!! I'd love to have him there all night with us, to me it's our first day together as a 'proper' family (sounds daft, obviously we're a proper family now!!) so don't want to be sending him off with people if I can help it. He loves lights and things so he'll probably be entertained. Got plenty of volunteers to look after him and make sure he's fed :) xxx

Sounds like he will be fine if he enjoys looking at lights. Aww no I completely understand it being your first official day as a family...a family with the same surname :) so exciting I can't believe your wedding is next weekend....seems like only yesterday Cole was born! Cant wait to see the photos of your amazing day xxx

Sarah dies Tom have to now officially "adopt" Cole to have equal rights r is it standard in the UK?
Jonathan has no legal rights over Eabha. Unless we go n jump thru hoops n sign lotsa legal docs etc whereby he adopts her!!! All because we're not married!! Annoys the sh1te outta me
He says he's not bothered about doing it but then someone said the other day (dunno if this is true) if I'm out of the country, n Eabha needs urgent medical attention that requires the signature of a legal guardian, he can't do it!!! Hafta look into how true that is n if it is true, get it done!!

Sorry to butt in...have been looking into this for my brother in law for a different reason but as far as I can tell, In the UK (after 2003) if the dad is on the birth certificate then he has parental responsibility for the child even if they aren't married/don't live together etc. so in the case of hospital etc it's not a problem. Therefore the dad has rights to contact/holiday etc even if the mum doesn't want him to, and those rights can only be revoked if it's proved the child is at risk of harm and then a residency order is granted by a court.
It's only since 2003 though which is why some fathers with older children have real problems (hence the fathers for justice etc) as they have no rights in law as far as I can tell.
Seems a bit odd if j has to formally adopt her...does/can anyone else act in terms of her guardian? Like your family for instance? Xx

Sorry to butt in...have been looking into this for my brother in law for a different reason but as far as I can tell, In the UK (after 2003) if the dad is on the birth certificate then he has parental responsibility for the child even if they aren't married/don't live together etc. so in the case of hospital etc it's not a problem. Therefore the dad has rights to contact/holiday etc even if the mum doesn't want him to, and those rights can only be revoked if it's proved the child is at risk of harm and then a residency order is granted by a court. It's only since 2003 though which is why some fathers with older children have real problems (hence the fathers for justice etc) as they have no rights in law as far as I can tell. Seems a bit odd if j has to formally adopt her...does/can anyone else act in terms of her guardian? Like your family for instance? Xx

Yep, that's correct (I used to work for a family lawyer). The only difference with married and unmarried parents is that the husband is assumed to be the father, even if he's not named on the birth certificate and has parental responsibility automatically. So even if Colin wasn't on the birth certificate he would still be acknowledged as Seth's dad because we're married but if we weren't married he'd need to be names on there to have parental responsibility.

Sorry to butt in...have been looking into this for my brother in law for a different reason but as far as I can tell, In the UK (after 2003) if the dad is on the birth certificate then he has parental responsibility for the child even if they aren't married/don't live together etc. so in the case of hospital etc it's not a problem. Therefore the dad has rights to contact/holiday etc even if the mum doesn't want him to, and those rights can only be revoked if it's proved the child is at risk of harm and then a residency order is granted by a court.
It's only since 2003 though which is why some fathers with older children have real problems (hence the fathers for justice etc) as they have no rights in law as far as I can tell.
Seems a bit odd if j has to formally adopt her...does/can anyone else act in terms of her guardian? Like your family for instance? Xx

To be honest I've no idea. I'd never even thought about it until it was mentioned to Jonathan
A woman he works with told him he'd want "cover himself n adopt her just in case things go sour" with us...
Meaning I cud be a total cow n stop him seeing her etc. he said he gave her such a look that she started back tracking n made out that it was for medical reasons etc...
So I will look into it further now as hopefully we never do have an emergency but I'd hate for something so stupid to put her in danger...
Our law really needs to b updated too. My Dad had to adopt my brothers n sister as they were born outside marriage. That's the only reason I even know about it... But we picked up a booklet on it in the hospital n it's still the same!! Regardless of whether his name is on the birth cert.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...legal_guardianship_and_unmarried_couples.html . Sorry for butting in but here are the rules from Ireland. Unfortunately we are at least 10 years behind the uk so their rules don't apply to us. If you read through unfortunately J doesn't have any legal rights over Eabha. If you both pop down to a commissioner of oaths you can get him sworn as a legal guardian outside of marriage. Though if you decide to get married in the morning he would automatically be a legal guardian. Hope it makes sense

Susie and Sarah answered that so much better than I could have done. Thanks ladies :) Basically Tom had to come with me to register Cole as his name couldn't have gone on the birth certificate without him being there unless we were married. As soon as we're married we're going back down to re register him so my name will be Jones on Cole's birth certificate and not Ward :D
The only thing that's come up is when we went for his jabs and the nurse wouldn't let Tom sign the consent forms because we aren't married yet. But then what if Tom had taken him by himself?!

Back