Pregnancy and Baby Advice Thread: From Conception to Birth, and Beyond!

Girls , how are you all finding or did you find dressing your bump at the later stages of pregnancy.
I'm almost 35 weeks and feel just about ready to have a breakdown!
I know it sounds so vain and selfish but I just feel like everything I wear makes me look like a whale.
I can't afford to go out and buy new maternity clothes and it seems pointless to do so when there's only 5 weeks left I just don't know how I'm going to manage getting bigger for remainder of my pregnancy.
It's my birthday on Friday and my baby shower on Sunday and all I feel like doing is putting on my pjs and going into hiding .. I've never felt so unattractive in my life and I feel soooo guilty for saying it because my body is changing to accommodate my beautiful baby .. I know that but it doesn't stop me feeling like cr*p :/
Sorry for the big moan I'm just struggling to cope .

Yeah I definitely wouldn't feel guilty :)
I might try putting him through in his Moses basket after his 8ish feed, they'll have to get used to going to bed at some point anyway :p

Aww Sammie hope you're ok x I found in later stages I was better sticking to tighter clothes round the bump as anything loose just made me look like a whale even though it had looked nice in earlier pregnancy xx

Yep, tighter the better! You'd think it wouldn't flatter but it really does. I felt awful in baggy stuff. I wore a lot of dresses and stretchy tops with my trusty denim maternity skirt or skinnies. Enjoy that bump cos you'll honestly miss it when it's gone :) xxx

Hi ladies,

With there being so many new mums on here I'm just wondering what few bits of equipment etc. you think are the best and have proved invaluable?

I had BFP on Saturday so have plenty of time, only me and OH know so far and trying to not tell family until Mother's day when I'll be around 8 weeks!!

I'm just looking at websites as i never really let myself look too much before for the fear of having problems ttc!

Just any information on anything will be great thanks!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Girls , how are you all finding or did you find dressing your bump at the later stages of pregnancy.
I know it sounds so vain and selfish but I just feel like everything I wear makes me look like a whale.
I can't afford to go out and buy new maternity clothes and it seems pointless to do so when there's only 5 weeks left I just don't know how I'm going to manage getting bigger for remainder of my pregnancy.
It's my birthday on Friday and my baby shower on Sunday and all I feel like doing is putting on my pjs and going into hiding .. I've never felt so unattractive in my life and I feel soooo guilty for saying it because my body is changing to accommodate my beautiful baby .. I know that but it doesn't stop me feeling like cr*p :/

Yup tighter the better! Have you got a H&M near you? I got a couple of maternity tops that were tight and plain and only £3 each. I was so hot most of the time they were all I needed and could wear them with anything. And f it was colder I just used to wear them with a pre preg black cardigan thing I had. They were nice and comfy and washed well and they looked good afterwards as well. Feel your pain though hun, but wil be worth it.
New look do some great cheap stuff as well. I got 2 pairs of leggings for £10 and again, they washed great and were so comfy for after as well
Xxx

Hi ladies, With there being so many new mums on here I'm just wondering what few bits of equipment etc. you think are the best and have proved invaluable? I had BFP on Saturday so have plenty of time, only me and OH know so far and trying to not tell family until Mother's day when I'll be around 8 weeks!! I'm just looking at websites as i never really let myself look too much before for the fear of having problems ttc! Just any information on anything will be great thanks!! Sent from my GT-I9505 using MiniMins.com mobile app

I swear by my Tommee Tippee Perfect Prep machine which is fantastic. Obviously if you breast feed you wouldn't need one but if not then it's brilliant. So much better than having to boil the kettle to heat a bottle.

Also, a video monitor rather than just a sound one. My little boy is 10 weeks old and we've just started putting him to bed in our bedroom at about 8ish so we get a few hours together downstairs but I would never have done that if I couldn't see he was ok.

Lots of muslin cloths, you will use them for all sorts. And next time I won't buy half as many clothes as you get loads bought, plus I don't put Cole in 'outfits' unless we go out somewhere. If we're just around the house I have him in sleep suits as they're comfier for him.

Hi ladies, With there being so many new mums on here I'm just wondering what few bits of equipment etc. you think are the best and have proved invaluable? I had BFP on Saturday so have plenty of time, only me and OH know so far and trying to not tell family until Mother's day when I'll be around 8 weeks!! I'm just looking at websites as i never really let myself look too much before for the fear of having problems ttc! Just any information on anything will be great thanks!! Sent from my GT-I9505 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Congratulations :)

We use our changing table a lot, saves us changing him on floor but our house is one level so don't have to trail up stairs.

Definitely lots of Muslins and I agree on sleep suits if we're staying in house.

I have Tommee Tippee bottles, steriliser and bottle warmer which are all great and he loves to sleep in his bouncer through the day.

We have quite a few blankets as well, can go through them if he spits up or is sick on them.

Girls... Anyone any tips with how to cope with back pain? I can't even pick Eabha up without it causing excruciating pain ;(
Hope you get answers from GP! You may be given physio sheet to do at home and if no improvement you'll see one. Hope your ok xx

Hey all, hope you're doing ok. Just wondering whether any of you have braved putting your little ones to bed on their own yet? I know they say not to let them sleep in a separate room so Cole is still sleeping in our room until he's six months old but he gets really grumpy and unsettled of a night, from about 6ish, so on Sunday night we put him in his Moses about 8ish and set up the video monitor to watch him and we did it again last night at Tom's mums. I feel so guilty because it's nice to have a bit of us time but I feel bad for enjoying the bit of time on our own, like I'm 'getting rid' of him.
Dont feel bad. I cannot remember how old Jacob was, But we moved here when he was 2 months and it wasnt long after i put him to nap in his moses basket upstairs during the dat sometimes as we were sorting the house out with newly living here and didnt want to disturb him.
had camera monitor on him and constantly peeking in on him but he slept longer when he napped upstairs! x

Hope you get to GP Frances x

Sarah I would put him down in his Moses basket before we go to bed but we leave him sleeping in bouncer until he wakes for his 11/12 feed then he goes into basket x

Can anyone advise on how many oz he should be having?

He's 4 weeks on Thursday and has been happy with 4oz but last night he was up every 2 hours or less and today he wouldn't settle until I'd given him 5oz!
Not too sure on exact but i think Jacob was on around 4-5oz when he was that old. Started off on 2oz when he was a day old! yet only had like 25ml in hospital.... x

I know how you feel, Its awful isnt it. Im lucky so far and feel ok.... If you wear leggings ive just got some cotton feel ones well cheap from there!! Less than £5 a pair ;) so living in these atm xx

Hi ladies,

With there being so many new mums on here I'm just wondering what few bits of equipment etc. you think are the best and have proved invaluable?

I had BFP on Saturday so have plenty of time, only me and OH know so far and trying to not tell family until Mother's day when I'll be around 8 weeks!!

I'm just looking at websites as i never really let myself look too much before for the fear of having problems ttc!

Congratulation xx

bibs/muslin cloths as they tend to spit up often even it its just a little... Bbay monitor but camera one, I wouldnt be able to not see them when im not in the room!

If bottle feeding i found having extra bottles for the lazy times you forget or havent sterilized bottles just yet. I was terrible for that! lol x

Sammie I kno I hav some cheek coz my 40 week bump was more like most 25ish week bumps but I really did feel huge at the end. I bought 2 pairs of new look maternity jeans which I lived in!!! But all my own tops still fit!pennys have got in some new t shirts n things in maternity??
I agree with not seeing the point in buying maternity wear this late on. I was the same
Don't feel guilty at all. I think we all felt the same. We loved our bump n the growing bub inside it... But it's so hard when ur body goes thru such a dramatic change
Hi ladies,

Huge congratz Kelly :)
I'd def recommend buying a tray at least of ready made bottles from the hospital. They were a God send for us til we found our feet. Obv if ur bottle feeding!!!

Also having something for baby to sleep in during the day... I have a mothercare sit me up cosy n Eabha loves it n it grows with her so good value for money.. Although not too expensive. . And most important it lets her kno the difference between day n night

Thanks for your ideas girls!

I'm planning to try and breast feed but if tbat doesnt go to plan then I do like the idea of the tommee tippee bottle machine!

Think I'll definitely be going for monitor with camera, best friend has tommee tippee monitor with the camera and the picture seems pretty good but not got anything else to compare it to!

Muslins is not something I would have thought of but sounds like your all using them!

Might sound like a silly question but can the baby go straight into a cot from birth? There isn't a lot of space in our bedroom but I was thinking with the monitor etc. would it be ok for baby to be in a separate room? Also do they have to sleep in moses baskets at first or is the cot ok from birth?

Sorry for so many questions and thanks so much!

Doctors appointment tomorrow, keeping my fingers crossed that everything is ok although not sure what they will even check?

Kelly x x

I don't have any muslin cloths but love my burp cloths. But I've been lucky as Eabha doesn't spit up r b sick much at all. Think we'v had 3 spit ups in her short 3 weeks...

I'd imagine going straight into a cot wud b fine but I'm not sure on leaving it in another room.. Might just b me being over cautious but it's recommended to keep baby with u for first 6 months... Not sure of the whys tho so maybe it is...

Thanks Frances and Jess :)

Think I will try 5oz for his next feed and see how we go :)

Hello ladies, just popped over from the pregnancy and SW thread to have a nose and this thread is fab!
So much help and advice!

I'm now 30+3 :eek: and need to get my hospital bag sorted but I really don't know where to begin?

In terms of the bag, how big? Cheap or expensive? Did any of you use it for anything else?

I've decided I'm bottle feeding so need to look at which bottles and formula to get- I've decided on Aptimil for formula but how much do I buy to start with?
I know my Mum has said to not bulk buy to start with in case baby reacts badly to it and needs a different brand. Did you any of you do this?

Bottles - I'm thinking Tommee Tippee as Tesco have got a very good range and a newborn starter kit for £30 which has bottles, teats, etc.

Nappies - my Mum gave me the same advice as formula, not to bulk buy in case baby's skin is sensitive to certain brands.
So far I've brought a pack of Waitrose newborn, and I'm planning to buy Pampers and Tesco.
Keep hearing bad things about Huggies, like they leak, etc. Anyone got any experience with them?

I can't believe I have just under 10 weeks until due date, it's rather scary!!!

Re: maternity clothes, I have found New Look to be fantastic- they had a sale on recently and I brought a ton of tshirts for £3 each!!
I have 3 pairs of maternity jeans (Peacocks, H&M and New Look) and I live in them!
Peacocks are also good for maternity clothes- I don't have a Primark here but must get to one soon as I know how cheap their stuff is!

I've been meaning to start a new diary on here but just haven't got round to it (I'm usually working or falling asleep lol) but I shall do it soon!
I love reading your diaries and all the cute pics of your babies, it's making me want my little one here ASAP! X

Congratulations and how lovely that you get to tell everyone on Mother's Day :D

My boy is 12 weeks old and so far we've managed to avoid spending a lot on anything too useless lol ;)

I love my feeding pillow (it's a baroo pillow, £20 on amazing) which is brill not just for breastfeeding but also for getting me comfy and for propping Seth up for playtime.

We went for MAM bottles and I love them. We only give Seth one bottle a day as a rule and the MAM bottles are brilliant as you can sterilise them individually so they are great if you breastfeed and just use bottles occasionally for expressed milk and the odd formula feed. I would also recommend spending as much as you can afford on a breast pump if you plan to use one - I bought a cheaper hand pump and tbh wish I'd saved for a better one.

It's worth making sure you do plenty of pram research, measure your car boot and doorway etc to make sure you're getting something that fits and works for all eventualities. We have limited space and use public transport a lot so it was important to get the right pram and so far I'm happy that we made the right choice!

I agree with Sarah re: clothes, you get bought loads as pressies! Plus there's no point buying much before baby arrives as you've no idea what size you'll need. We had hardly anything for Seth when he was born as he was so little despite being a good weight (7lb 8oz) and we had to rush out and buy newborn and tiny baby clothes for him. At 12 weeks he's only just fitting his 0-3 clothes properly! I've also found that clothes from certain shops fit him better, eg Asda sleepsuits are too short in the leg but Next clothes fit better and last longer on him. You won't know this kind of stuff til baby arrives so better not to buy too much from one shop either.

Hope that all helps? xxx

Dougal ur pregnancy is flying!!!

Bottles... I'm using tommee tippee. So far I only use the 150ml ones... I make up 4 bottles at a time (guidelines say not to do this but it's working fine for us n my PHN says its fine as long as left no longer than 12 hours r 24 if kept in the fridge!)

Nappies... I'm using pampers and aldi (1 pack upstairs, 1 pack downstairs) No problems with either as regards jeans r size etc! Aldi ones have been highly recommended by LOADS of ppl

Formula... I'm using aptimil. Only bought 1 tub initially just in case it didn't agree with baby (great advice from ur man) n still only buy it as I need it just in case... So far a tub last almost 2 weeks do u'll b fine with that :)

Baby wipes... I don't use them! I use warm water n cotton wool. But I have a pack of water wipes in my changing bag for emergencies only

Baby wash... I use aqueous cream as a moisturiser and soap! Wash her hair with it too

Thanks Missy that helps loads especially the breast pump part as I've been looking on amazon and some do look expensive especially when I might not even be able to breast feed but will have a proper look at them now you've said that!

I can't wait to tell them! Just trying to think of the nicest way to tell them, they'll be so happy! Thinking a card to nan and to great nan from bump?

Also OH's dad's birthday on the same day! I'm so excited just hope everything is ok, but I've told OH that if it's not ok then I want my family to know and be there for us so no reason to keep it a secret either way is how I see it!

Thanks again all of you!

Kelly x x

I have the Medela swing pump, expensive but so worth it since I've ended up having to express to bottle x

Back