Pregnancy and Baby Advice Thread: From Conception to Birth, and Beyond!

Girls... Dummies are life savers.

I wasn't keen on using them but bought some when pregnant anyway...well our little girl has been feeding constantly/not sleeping the last couple of days and a couple of people had said to try a dummy because it might be the comfort of sucking that she needs rather than the milk.

Well we put one in 20 mins ago and she's taken to it straight away and she's now fast asleep and totally content!!!

Win! :)

Joshua was the same!! I wanted to avoid dummies but as u say...josh likes the comfort of sucking on something so I gave in and now it really soothes him :)

Hey girls, today I have had a popping noise coming from my tummy, sounds like cracking knuckles. Have any of you had this? It is very strange??

Hey girls, today I have had a popping noise coming from my tummy, sounds like cracking knuckles. Have any of you had this? It is very strange??

Yep!!! Lots of clicking for me!! Very peculiar, never really did work out what it was. I reckon it was all my bones/joints clicking as it always happened when baby moved! I was worried it was Amelia clicking but I don't think it was. She hasn't clicked since she's been out ;) xx

Hey Jess, thats exactly what happened baby moved and I got a pop! Thought it was my waters going lol jumped a mile! It is happening every time baby moves now I wonder if its something in my pelvis clicking. Glad to find someone else had it and no problems with baby phew!!

Hey Jess, thats exactly what happened baby moved and I got a pop! Thought it was my waters going lol jumped a mile! It is happening every time baby moves now I wonder if its something in my pelvis clicking. Glad to find someone else had it and no problems with baby phew!!

No doesn't seem like anything to worry about :) I had it a lot in last 8 weeks or so! Think it was my growing bubba making all my bones click! I had it in my hips and pelvis too - no pain with it, just noise! Occasionally it would sound like it was coming from the top of my bump too - no idea what that could have been?! Lol but needless to say no clicking since Amelia has entered the world :) x I've heard of other women experiencing the same thing as well so seems fairly common. Must have been my 9lb 8oz baby beating me up lol xx

Yeah I would say nothing to worry about, I had it too. Really loud it was! But didn't seem to cause any problems! Xx

Ouch major pains in back and ribs tonight, it's probably only trapped wind I'm such a wuss lol

Back again! :)
We used wipes in the first few days as meconium took ages to clean with cotton wool. Used a mixture since but she's got nappy rash again so using cotton wool again. Aldi nappies are really good but sainsburys are too. Pampers are probably the best but not worth the extra money for regular use.

Agree with not buying a proper bag, I just used a normal hold all and had a bag of stuff in it for Abbie, but I should have packed an extra 'in case you stay longer bag' that I left at home. I ended up staying a week and Benn had to find loads of stuff for us at home.
I took a pillow with me as well which was great and I slept a lot better.
Trying to think what else....would suggest lansinoh breast pads...ah yes, Moses basket! As long as you buy a new mattress it will be safe. Abbie grew out of hers within about 3 weeks, she used to fling her arms out and they would hit the sides and she would wake up. So we put her in a cot at the end of out bed from then and she slept much better. Will use our basket again but if we have another big baby (9lb4oz!) will
Move them quicker than we did this time.
Ummm, If you want to try a sling I would suggest to try and borrow-I tried 2 different ones and she hated both. If I had bought them would have been annoyed!
Can't think of anything else! Xx

Wow thanks for all the advice ladies... My mum has a small suitcase I can borrow so all I'll need to buy is a changing bag- any recommendations? My good friend gave us a ton of baby stuff so we have a bottle steriliser and warmer (Tommee Tippee and in good condition) so it doesn't matter too much if we don't use the warmer as we didn't buy it! Re: Moses basket- we've been given one by my Auntie that's a bit of a family heirloom but it's very old and we don't feel it's very safe so we have been considering buying a new one... A crib is bigger? Any reccomendations?

I used my freebie Boots changing bag until recently and it's been fine, if a little small. Then mum bought me a Pink Lining bag and I don't know how I managed without it! It's lovely looking and so roomy with pockets for everything. I agree with Susie - definitely have a just in case bag. I was in for five days when I had Seth and had to get Colin to bring me a load of stuff in. Obviously in an ideal world you'll be our next day but it's worth having spares ready in case you need them :) xxx

Girls... Dummies are life savers. I wasn't keen on using them but bought some when pregnant anyway...well our little girl has been feeding constantly/not sleeping the last couple of days and a couple of people had said to try a dummy because it might be the comfort of sucking that she needs rather than the milk. Well we put one in 20 mins ago and she's taken to it straight away and she's now fast asleep and totally content!!! Win! :)

Don't be surprised if she changes her mind later on with the dummy - Seth has given us the run around with his! He had some orthodontic MAM dummies first which he wouldn't take. So the HV recommended we try Tommee Tippee cherry dummies instead and he liked those. Then he decided that he didn't like them and preferred the original ortho dummies. This lasted a week or two and now he won't take a dummy at all! A bit of a waste of money for us sadly. Looks like he fancies being a thumb sucker instead which I'm a bit miffed about but not much can be done I guess! :/

I bought a plain black baby bag from mothercare. Handy if OH takes her out. He doesn't hav a big girly bag to bring!! It's very big tho. ATM it's like I'm carrying an empty bag with me although its got everything I need in!! Was EUR49 so reasonable enough :)

Some good news for those who struggle with weight like me... I had a depo injection tonight and the nurse weighed me. I explained I'd not been happy with my loss (think she confirmed 4 lbs in 3 months!!) and I said I used to be good at dieting but can't do it now The nurse laughed!! She said 'of course u can't! U have a 5 month old baby to look after, yr a new mum and yr finding yr feet. Yr body is still repairing from the pregnancy. U are getting less sleep and doing more. You shouldn't push anything till Stevie is at least 9 months - a year old. I'm not saying this is good advice cos a year is a long time, but it made me feel a ton better. I realised how much pressure I was putting on myself. Hope this helps some others too!! Xxx

That's exactly what I needed to hear! Thank you for sharing :) xxx

Me and lucas were in hospital for aa week n maybe the third night in he wouldnt settle so the midwife gave me a dummy n lucas loved it! We took it off him jus before his second bday.
I remember takin my bright pink lil suitcase with me I dint pack enough so defo have another bag on stand by carl broughte clothes in that hadnt fit for years lol!!! Dnt forget t pack lipbalm my lips got sooo dry!

I gadnt thought about a moses basket new matress..we still have lucas's cot and was jus goin t buy a matress for that, lucas was 9lb 2oz and long so wasnt in his moses basket for long either. Stupid question where do u get new matresses for moses baskets?
Xxx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Don't be surprised if she changes her mind later on with the dummy - Seth has given us the run around with his! He had some orthodontic MAM dummies first which he wouldn't take. So the HV recommended we try Tommee Tippee cherry dummies instead and he liked those. Then he decided that he didn't like them and preferred the original ortho dummies. This lasted a week or two and now he won't take a dummy at all! A bit of a waste of money for us sadly. Looks like he fancies being a thumb sucker instead which I'm a bit miffed about but not much can be done I guess! :/

Ah Sarah we had the same problem! However, thumb sucking is now fabulous....she can sooth herself wherever we are, her thumb is always going to be cleaner than a dummy and she never drops it out the cot at night, so we don't have to go and retrieve it! :) xx

Me and lucas were in hospital for aa week n maybe the third night in he wouldnt settle so the midwife gave me a dummy n lucas loved it! We took it off him jus before his second bday.
I remember takin my bright pink lil suitcase with me I dint pack enough so defo have another bag on stand by carl broughte clothes in that hadnt fit for years lol!!! Dnt forget t pack lipbalm my lips got sooo dry!

I gadnt thought about a moses basket new matress..we still have lucas's cot and was jus goin t buy a matress for that, lucas was 9lb 2oz and long so wasnt in his moses basket for long either. Stupid question where do u get new matresses for moses baskets?
Xxx

You can get them from mothercare. They said if it didn't fit, as long as the plastic wrapper was intact we could return it which was handy, though we didn't need to xx

Oooo ok I will have alook thank u! We have a m&p's factory shop by us so can get the cot matress from there but I dnt think I have seen moses baskets so will go t mothercare thank u xxxx

I got one from mothercare last week reduced to £9.99 xx

Just wondered for those that are planning on or are breastfeeding what did you buy before? I have got a couple of nursing bras. But I dont know whether to buy some nursing tops and the electric pump now or wait until after and see if I get on ok? What did you do?

Just wondered for those that are planning on or are breastfeeding what did you buy before? I have got a couple of nursing bras. But I dont know whether to buy some nursing tops and the electric pump now or wait until after and see if I get on ok? What did you do?

I ended up not being able to feed direct so I'm now expressing. We bought a manual pump but when we realised I would be expressing DH went out and bought an electric one.
I have 4 nursing bras, go through them quite a bit sometimes depending on if I leak! I got told to buy nursing vests but tbh I normally wear a normal vest under my top and just pull it down when I need to pump. x

Back