Pregnancy and Baby Advice Thread: From Conception to Birth, and Beyond!

Girls, need a bit of bedtime advice.

I'm wanting to give Cole a proper bedtime so that we've got a bit of a routine and so that me and Tom get some time together in the evenings. He's really moody in the evenings and just won't settle so I'm wanting to start his bedtime routine at about 7pm to have him asleep for 7.30pm. If we keep him up any later he just cries and gets upset with himself. He won't even sleep on us in the evening, which isn't like him. The only problem is we tried this last night and he woke at 2.30am for a bottle then again at 5.30am then wanted to get up at 7.15am. He doesn't usually get up twice in the night and it killed me!! So what I'm thinking of doing is still putting him to bed at 7-7.30pm but either trying to dream feed or wake him up about 1130pm when we go to bed so he'll sleep until 7am (hopefully). I know they say not to wake up a baby to feed them but it seems the best way to get him sleeping through. Anyone else tried it or have any advice?

Girls, need a bit of bedtime advice. I'm wanting to give Cole a proper bedtime so that we've got a bit of a routine and so that me and Tom get some time together in the evenings. He's really moody in the evenings and just won't settle so I'm wanting to start his bedtime routine at about 7pm to have him asleep for 7.30pm. If we keep him up any later he just cries and gets upset with himself. He won't even sleep on us in the evening, which isn't like him. The only problem is we tried this last night and he woke at 2.30am for a bottle then again at 5.30am then wanted to get up at 7.15am. He doesn't usually get up twice in the night and it killed me!! So what I'm thinking of doing is still putting him to bed at 7-7.30pm but either trying to dream feed or wake him up about 1130pm when we go to bed so he'll sleep until 7am (hopefully). I know they say not to wake up a baby to feed them but it seems the best way to get him sleeping through. Anyone else tried it or have any advice?

Sadly no advice from me. I always get up 2 or even 3 times in the night... So dreaming of when it goes down to 1. X

Sadly no advice from me. I always get up 2 or even 3 times in the night... So dreaming of when it goes down to 1. X

Suppose I should count myself lucky ;) it's just horrible when he gets so tired and upset with himself because no matter what I do he won't sleep through the day so I need him to get his sleep at night so he's not morngy in the mornings x

Just been for a skin rag removing that had grown at the side of my labia during my pregnancy, she put the needle in with the anesthetic and straight away before it was numb she sliced the tag off, i felt it, it was so painful, i nearly fainted, now i can't feel my vag and feeling sorry for myself, i said to Carl i deserve some new shoes going through that not long after childbirth he bought me a cuppa tea and a bun lol.x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MiniMins.com mobile app

I'm wanting to give Cole a proper bedtime so that we've got a bit of a routine and so that me and Tom get some time together in the evenings. He's really moody in the evenings and just won't settle so I'm wanting to start his bedtime routine at about 7pm to have him asleep for 7.30pm. If we keep him up any later he just cries and gets upset with himself. He won't even sleep on us in the evening, which isn't like him. The only problem is we tried this last night and he woke at 2.30am for a bottle then again at 5.30am then wanted to get up at 7.15am. He doesn't usually get up twice in the night and it killed me!! So what I'm thinking of doing is still putting him to bed at 7-7.30pm but either trying to dream feed or wake him up about 1130pm when we go to bed so he'll sleep until 7am (hopefully). I know they say not to wake up a baby to feed them but it seems the best way to get him sleeping through. Anyone else tried it or have any advice?

Freddie is a funny one and we are lucky he feeds every 2hrs through day but has his last bottle around 9:30pm then goes to sleep and the last 4 nights he's gone till 6:30am before that he's gone about 3:30am then after that he went till 5am so he's gradually pushed his night time milk back till he's not having it, i hope he keeps it up. When my older son was a baby he was a terror and just didn't sleep so i feel mega lucky with Freddie. I would have a go at the dream feed, it might work and make him go longer till he wakes up.x

Freddie is a funny one and we are lucky he feeds every 2hrs through day but has his last bottle around 9:30pm then goes to sleep and the last 4 nights he's gone till 6:30am before that he's gone about 3:30am then after that he went till 5am so he's gradually pushed his night time milk back till he's not having it, i hope he keeps it up. When my older son was a baby he was a terror and just didn't sleep so i feel mega lucky with Freddie. I would have a go at the dream feed, it might work and make him go longer till he wakes up.x

He feeds every couple of hours or so in the day but takes a bit less. He sleeps for a 7 hour stint at night so we're lucky with that, it's just hard work keeping up past 7 without tears. X

Missy you're feeding him really well. I wonder if switching the formula top up time will help. Just wondering because your night time milk is richer than your daytime milk. Maybe a ff before bed at say 7/8 then he might have a good stretch until 11 then breastfeed through the night? Not sure what else to suggest but he's a happy healthy and alert little man so try not to worry too much. X

Edit to say sorry the quote bit didn't work (or I deleted by mistake), I was referring to the 2nd centile post..

Last edited:

I cant remember exactly with Jacob but we started a bedtime routine i think around 2-3months.. bath, cuddles, last feed, cuddles, bed. Then i used to feed him when we went to bed as he usually was due a feed around then anyway so id prepare even if was sleeping and sometimes dream fed. Which he did take and helped sleep longer. Otherwise like Cole, We'd be in bed few hours then he'd want a feed, again around 3-5am and then again/get up from 6-7 depending on the time of 2nd night feed. keep at it and it will work :) x

Just been for a skin rag removing that had grown at the side of my labia during my pregnancy, she put the needle in with the anesthetic and straight away before it was numb she sliced the tag off, i felt it, it was so painful, i nearly fainted, now i can't feel my vag and feeling sorry for myself, i said to Carl i deserve some new shoes going through that not long after childbirth he bought me a cuppa tea and a bun lol.x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MiniMins.com mobile app
OUCH! Yes i would be requesting some new shoes or something :p
What a silly doctor to do it straight away, Everyone knows numbing stuff takes a while to get into system :/ x

So Oliver had a temperature so told to keep him in just a best. Told to keep using saline nasal spray. Also to use baby olbas oil on a cloth in his room but not too near him.

Got diprobase and aqueous cream for his skin.

Poor bubba. Not had lunch yet because he just won't leave my arms.
aww hope hes ok! I absoloutely hate it when our little ones get ill :( Jacobs had such a horsey cough and sore thoat. Docs basically said leave it be as its just viral... Hopefully Oliver will start feeling better very soon! x

Ooh Saz that doesn't sound nice at all!!!! OOCHIE.. Def deserves more than a cuppa ;)

Aw Penny poor Oliver... Aqueous cream is FAB!! Thinking i'm gona get a second tub for washing myself.. I've really bad skin on my arms and NOTHING I have tried has cleared it.. But thinking I'll try that.. It cleared up Éabha's dry skin so quickly... I use it as her soap in the bath and then massage her whole body in it after her bath and nightly before dressing her for bed...
Glad you got some ideas for what to use on Oliver to help him breath properly.. Its so hard when they're so teeny...

Sarah sorry can't help... Not got that far yet :-/

I'm quite lucky atm because Joshua has his last feed at 10/11 and then sleeps for 7/8 hours..sometimes more! Much better than being up 3/4 times a night like at the beginning...really took it out of me that did

So Oliver had a temperature so told to keep him in just a best. Told to keep using saline nasal spray. Also to use baby olbas oil on a cloth in his room but not too near him. Got diprobase and aqueous cream for his skin. Poor bubba. Not had lunch yet because he just won't leave my arms.

Poor little dude, hope you're both feeling better soon :( We got given dermalo and zero cream by the doctor for Seth's dry and red skin and it's really helped so hopefully the creams will help Oliver xxx

Sarah - I can't help with bedtime sadly as we're struggling with that currently too! We've managed to get Seth to bed at 9 these last two nights (we've got it forward from 11) but then he wakes up at 2.30 and won't go back to sleep until 5.30. It's killing me off so I really hope something changes soon! xxx

Saz - god that sounds horrible! Glad you got your reward cuppa xxx

Missy you're feeding him really well. I wonder if switching the formula top up time will help. Just wondering because your night time milk is richer than your daytime milk. Maybe a ff before bed at say 7/8 then he might have a good stretch until 11 then breastfeed through the night? Not sure what else to suggest but he's a happy healthy and alert little man so try not to worry too much. X Edit to say sorry the quote bit didn't work (or I deleted by mistake), I was referring to the 2nd centile post..

Thanks hun, we've decided to try ebf again and see if we can do it at least until next time he gets weighed. That way we'll know if there's a problem with me/my supply/how he's feeding. Then if he's still not gaining we can look at giving formula again. That's the plan! xxx

I'm quite lucky atm because Joshua has his last feed at 10/11 and then sleeps for 7/8 hours..sometimes more! Much better than being up 3/4 times a night like at the beginning...really took it out of me that did

Cole sleeps for 7 hours too, it's just that he wants to go to bed at 7pm!! I think it's because he won't sleep during the day. Staying in a hotel tonight so it may not work but from tomorrow we're moving him from his Moses to his crib too.

Ladies when did your bump drop I'm so uncomfortable feel like I've got a brick in my rib cage.

Cole sleeps for 7 hours too, it's just that he wants to go to bed at 7pm!! I think it's because he won't sleep during the day. Staying in a hotel tonight so it may not work but from tomorrow we're moving him from his Moses to his crib too.

We did the bedtime routine and then dream feed and it worked for is, she then woke at around half 3 and then it got later and later til it disappeared. That said a friend of mine tried it and her little boy didn't feed that well at 11 and still woke twice overnight so they just went to bed earlier and over a few weeks he dropped one feed and woke once. It's a bit of giving it a go and seeing what happens I think! X

Ladies when did your bump drop I'm so uncomfortable feel like I've got a brick in my rib cage.

Sadly mine didn't drop til the last minute really...about 39/40 weeks?? But then I had a baby that refused to engage and come out!! Lol xx

We did the bedtime routine and then dream feed and it worked for is, she then woke at around half 3 and then it got later and later til it disappeared. That said a friend of mine tried it and her little boy didn't feed that well at 11 and still woke twice overnight so they just went to bed earlier and over a few weeks he dropped one feed and woke once. It's a bit of giving it a go and seeing what happens I think! X

If we go to bed at 9pm he usually wakes just after 4am so if we have to revert to that it's not that bad. It's just awful when he gets himself upset from about 6.30pm so figured he might as well be asleep as upset. Gonna try it and see what happens x

Back