Pregnancy and Baby Advice Thread: From Conception to Birth, and Beyond!

Also, I have tended to avoid jars, not sure why but I have tried them in the past and they don't taste of very much! If we need to have anything while out and about and nowhere to warm stuff, I use the pouches-Ella's kitchen and Annabel Karmel ones are the nicest. They actually taste of what they are supposed to. It's getting better now though as she can eat mini sandwiches and beans on toast etc so it's much easier out and about!

Just another thought, my hv suggested to only feed protein at lunchtime not tea time as it's hard to digest and can keep them up at night. I've stuck with this and she sleeps really well. Tea tends to be pasta/veg/fruit and she settles really well xx

See I'm going to make my own but I've a few friends who did only home cooked and their babies literally wouldn't touch jars or anything so when they were out and about it was a struggle for them. Also, even though they're 'empty calories', most of my friends (and my sister) started with baby rice at 17 weeks to get their babies used to textures and eating from a spoon. Ah I dunno. Gonna have a chat with Tom about it.

I've just started Stevie on it at 5.5 months - he wasn't a fan of home cooked carrots but on that day did like banana!

I wanted it to be a positive experience and I'm mixing jars, pouches and home cooked! Will prob be more home cooked over the next few months as he eats what we eat...it's hard to get it right and as long as he starts eating I'm happy to give him a mix!!

With him having a milk allergy it's harder as I can't just pick any old jar/pouch.

Also looked at baby led feeding - but I think the miss would kill me!! As he gets onto food which can be held I'll relax (I hope!!) xx

TBH I've not looked into it much as its way too early for all that.. In case you'd not noticed I tend to leave things to the last minute n then panic.. lol

I have a cook book for when she goes onto solids that was bought for me

I think the guidance only changed quite recently on weaning, most of my friends with kids weaned between 4-6 months as that was the advice then. I'll stick by what the HV says as much as possible, by the sound of it early weaning can cause problems so I'd rather do it by the book. There was a woman in Boots who got talking to me in the feeding aisle, she claimed her son had been having baby rice since 13 weeks! He was a right chubby little dude bless him. When I looked shocked she said 'well the HV told me not to but I know better than her what's right for my baby'!

I'm so excited to cook for us as a family! Seth will be brought up veggie (although he's free to change his mind on that once he's old enough to choose) and I hope it might give me the impetus to eat better too and start cooking nice pasta-y things, stews and risottos again. I'm really keen on bringing him up to enjoy proper food, not be a faddy eater and not have any of the issues with food I have. That's the plan anyway ;)

After the mixed messages my HV has given on numerous different things I don't ask her anything.

My friend who is currently weaning twins has been told by her HV that 17 weeks is fine for certain things then from six months feed them anything she has. My friend was a bit surprised and said what if they were having chips or a fry up etc and she said to not change their lives to fit in with baby so it's fine!! Would NOT be listening to that HV!!

After the mixed messages my HV has given on numerous different things I don't ask her anything.

My friend who is currently weaning twins has been told by her HV that 17 weeks is fine for certain things then from six months feed them anything she has. My friend was a bit surprised and said what if they were having chips or a fry up etc and she said to not change their lives to fit in with baby so it's fine!! Would NOT be listening to that HV!!

Haha yes I would avoid that hv as well! See how you go hun. The main thing is that he can sit up supported and actually has reached the development stage that he can swallow properly. My SIL started my nephew on baby rice at 11 weeks (yeah I know, she wouldn't listen to reason, apparently the fact he wasn't going 12 hrs at night and 5hrs between bottles meant he wasn't getting enough food-how many 11week old babies do you know that do that?!? She didn't tell her hv though...) anyway! So yes he started him and he couldn't swallow properly, they had to prop his head up and literally keep shoving it in until he started to swallow a bit. But he developed a persistent cough which is one of the problems with starting really early.
So if they can support their own head and sit up in a chair with support that's a good sign.
Follow your mummy instincts xx

Like you'd feed your baby a fry up! I would ignore my HV too if she was being that daft. Luckily mine seems to make sense most of the time and when I read up most of the recent things I read on weaning agreed with her so I'm happy with her advice. I appreciate that I'm lucky to have a decent one though!

Haha yes I would avoid that hv as well! See how you go hun. The main thing is that he can sit up supported and actually has reached the development stage that he can swallow properly. My SIL started my nephew on baby rice at 11 weeks (yeah I know, she wouldn't listen to reason, apparently the fact he wasn't going 12 hrs at night and 5hrs between bottles meant he wasn't getting enough food-how many 11week old babies do you know that do that?!? She didn't tell her hv though...) anyway! So yes he started him and he couldn't swallow properly, they had to prop his head up and literally keep shoving it in until he started to swallow a bit. But he developed a persistent cough which is one of the problems with starting really early. So if they can support their own head and sit up in a chair with support that's a good sign. Follow your mummy instincts xx

Well Cole is 11 weeks old and he sleeps 7-7 with a feed at 11 when we go to bed and one at 3 that he asks for. And he goes 2-4 hours during the day between bottles. No way is he anywhere near ready for food! He 'chews' his infacol and calpol but that's only because it's thicker than milk and he doesn't know he's chewing. I think I'll just judge it as and when. Wouldn't be before 20 weeks at the very earliest though. X

Like you'd feed your baby a fry up! I would ignore my HV too if she was being that daft. Luckily mine seems to make sense most of the time and when I read up most of the recent things I read on weaning agreed with her so I'm happy with her advice. I appreciate that I'm lucky to have a decent one though!

Mine is nice, just not very helpful. She was more interested in talking about our wedding last time we saw her than she was talking about Cole.
Might give him a sausage next time we have some ;) haha X

Waahhhhhhh :( lol!

Just wanted to say I've officially left the pregnant section (moved my diary - ill still be following all yours though!!) I'm now in the silver section. (I've sent multiple messages to Pierce re the mummy and baby section but never get a reply :( )

I have to say...I feel quite emotional (hormones probably). When I changed my diary title earlier, I re-read my opening post about my journey etc. I cannot believe how quickly it all went. 12th June I found out my little bean was on her way, and now she's here currently being fed by daddy. It feels like yesterday we were going for our 12 week scan, and then at 16 weeks finding out we were having a girl and so on. Gosh, time really flies - even when you are convinced it's dragging. Enjoy every second mummies-to-be!

Ill be back at some point. :D I've already told John i want at least 3 babies, with a possible 4th lol x ;) x and I've pretty much put in the calendar that we are ttc again when Amelia is 1! Lol xx

Now it's time for me to start ticking off that list I made on New Year's Eve. :) xx

Waahhhhhhh :( lol! Just wanted to say I've officially left the pregnant section (moved my diary - ill still be following all yours though!!) I'm now in the silver section. (I've sent multiple messages to Pierce re the mummy and baby section but never get a reply :( ) I have to say...I feel quite emotional (hormones probably). When I changed my diary title earlier, I re-read my opening post about my journey etc. I cannot believe how quickly it all went. 12th June I found out my little bean was on her way, and now she's here currently being fed by daddy. It feels like yesterday we were going for our 12 week scan, and then at 16 weeks finding out we were having a girl and so on. Gosh, time really flies - even when you are convinced it's dragging. Enjoy every second mummies-to-be! Ill be back at some point. :D I've already told John i want at least 3 babies, with a possible 4th lol x ;) x and I've pretty much put in the calendar that we are ttc again when Amelia is 1! Lol xx Now it's time for me to start ticking off that list I made on New Year's Eve. :) xx

I've put in a request to move my diary over too :(

Unfortunately age isn't on my side so if I'm lucky enough to get pregnant again it'll be our last baby which makes me really sad. I've re read my diary a few times and cried the whole way through when we were ttc. I'd like to star trying from January but persuading Tom isn't so easy. Xxx

What's the silver section? Time does fly it's frightening :( good luck with SW Jess I am getting geared up to start ww as soon as I can after baby want to be 4 stone lighter xxx

I've put in a request to move my diary over too :( Unfortunately age isn't on my side so if I'm lucky enough to get pregnant again it'll be our last baby which makes me really sad. I've re read my diary a few times and cried the whole way through when we were ttc. I'd like to star trying from January but persuading Tom isn't so easy. Xxx
Oh bless you hun xx I know what you mean about the crying. I've cried a fair bit over my diary/missing pregnancy. You never know re Tom - that does prove to me even more that it must effect the men quite a bit too. I know John was pretty traumatised after the labour - he got very emotional (and he just doesn't get like that). He's told me since he felt so many emotions that he couldn't show to me at the time. He was as scared, nervous, shocked, angry (with the doctors), and when he explains what the room looked like after Amelia had arrived/been taken to SCBU - I'm not surprised he was a bit horrified. There were trollies full of bloody towels, sick bowls full of bile etc, then he'd look around and see my placenta sitting on a tray on the side, my legs are in stirrups cause I'm being stitched from one area to the other! Meanwhile I'm throwing up everywhere and bleeding quite heavily onto the floor! So glam!! Lol xx I'm sure Tom will come round. John just humours me at the moment I think, I don't think he genuinely wants to try next march...not yet anyway xx

What's the silver section? Time does fly it's frightening :( good luck with SW Jess I am getting geared up to start ww as soon as I can after baby want to be 4 stone lighter xxx

It's a section that can't be googled x have to have a certain amount of posts to go on there x plus I think it's an "anything goes" section - so not restricted to one type of diet etc x

Good luck hun x I've a good 4-4.5 stone to lose and totally ready to give it a good go now!! Xx

Oh bless you hun xx I know what you mean about the crying. I've cried a fair bit over my diary/missing pregnancy. You never know re Tom - that does prove to me even more that it must effect the men quite a bit too. I know John was pretty traumatised after the labour - he got very emotional (and he just doesn't get like that). He's told me since he felt so many emotions that he couldn't show to me at the time. He was as scared, nervous, shocked, angry (with the doctors), and when he explains what the room looked like after Amelia had arrived/been taken to SCBU - I'm not surprised he was a bit horrified. There were trollies full of bloody towels, sick bowls full of bile etc, then he'd look around and see my placenta sitting on a tray on the side, my legs are in stirrups cause I'm being stitched from one area to the other! Meanwhile I'm throwing up everywhere and bleeding quite heavily onto the floor! So glam!! Lol xx I'm sure Tom will come round. John just humours me at the moment I think, I don't think he genuinely wants to try next march...not yet anyway xx

That's what upset Tom so much. When we were rushed to theatre, and he was left standing in the corridor not knowing what was happening because all the staff were in theatre with me, he says it was one of the worst moments of his life. Then I was so knackered that I was struggling to get Cole out and he could see how upset I was that I couldn't do it. And once come was born he saw the doctor pull out the afterbirth (Vom!) then was handed Cole and taken out of the room with him while they stitched me up. Plus they then took Cole away without telling us why and I was begging him not to leave me when he needed to go ring everyone then I got in a state when they made him leave and was crying and asking him not to go while he was trying to find out where they'd taken Cole so he could kiss him goodbye (he never got to). God, my eyes have filled up just writing that down so god knows how he must have felt at the time.
I think the very earliest I can persuade him to try is next June, when Cole will be 18 months old. We've got quite a bit that we need to do at home before we have another (loft needs boarding out for storage and the garden needs finishing). But I'll be 34 next June and would like to have our second before I'm 36, fingers crossed xx

Aww I've been putting off getting moved but I need to. Also going silver section. Never knew it was much more private. :)

I've just moved mine over. I didn't realise that anyone and everyone could google and read all my ramblings!!

I've just moved mine over. I didn't realise that anyone and everyone could google and read all my ramblings!!

That's why I never moved my silver diary to the pregnancy bit even when it turned into more of a pregnancy diary than a SW diary - I thought you all knew! :(

Tbh I know Colin found Seth's birth more traumatic than I did! He said there were some times when I was completely out of it and he felt totally helpless and wished he could do it for me to give me a break. Plus there was the getting called back to hospital bit, no one told him on the phone that they were taking me to theatre so it was all a huge shock when he turned up and was rushed in to suit up before anyone had even told him what was going on! Poor bloke :/ It's also no secret that we found our first couple of months as parents really hard going, with both of us being prone to depression and all those hormones flying around it hasn't been easy. So he's not in a massive hurry to try again shall we say! But he also knows that I'm getting no younger so if we want another one we can't hang about as I'm 36 this year... :/

Last edited:

No me either!!!

I feel awful for all ur hubby's reading that.
N thankfully J didn't have to see r go they anything like it. He said was gross the amount of blood he saw n the placenta made him wana spew but that's as bad as it got for him

Just one last thing on a previous topic - I read all the way through this article on weaning and found it really useful, just sharing in case anyone is interested xxx

http://www.mumsnet.com/babies/weaning

Back