Pregnancy and Baby Advice Thread: From Conception to Birth, and Beyond!

Hey Jess

Can't really answer about normal discharge as I'm not sure however you are very fertile post delivery as your ovaries have a massive kick start with all the hormones raging around, so it is entirely possible that you can be pregnant. I have seen lost of women with babies 10-11 months apart!!
Defo do a test before your check up if your planning on going onto some contraception, just to be on the safe side xxx

Hi Jess, I've had quite a lot of discharge since the bleeding stopped (around week 3) and yet to have a period and Bella is 9 weeks today xx

Girls, do any of you know anything about buying private healthcare for pregnancy? Tom hated all the waiting around in hospitals, especially with the GD, so he's been looking into it. All I know is you have to start it before you get pregnant but, depending on how much it is a month, we're going to look into it when I go back to work for when we start ttc next June. Just don't know much about it but, got to admit, it would be lovely to go private if we could. Not that there's anything wrong with the NHS, I can't fault their treatment, it'd just be a luxury and hopefully wouldn't have to go through that horrible 6 day induction again!!

Jess - Joshua is 11 weeks today and I still havnt had a period lol. Not sure when to expect it either tbh. Me and hubby have dtd 3 tines sibce I gave birth and I started to wonder if I was pregnant but a test was negative :) (wasnt expecting to be pregnant anyways as we use 'pulling out' method :)
Re discharge....yes!! Have had loads of it since giving birth and still do now lol lovely no?!!!

Sarah - yes!!! Me and hubby said this during my pregnancy that we wanted private healthcare. I didnt have the greatest care during pregnancy and after pregnancy..it completely put me off. Sooooo much waiting around etc etc. I need to look into private healthcare 100%

Hi ladies x

TMI post coming up...

Amelia is 5 weeks old today, I bled from birth to around week 3, and for the last two weeks (after the bleeding has stopped) I have had pretty heavy discharge. To the point where I have had to wear pads otherwise my knickers are soaked - it's worse than when I was pregnant with Amelia. (Mega TMI so be warned!) It's very "wet" but at the same time can be quite thick/stringy. :\ As you know, hubby and I have dtd a few times (unprotected... I know, very silly of us). Do you think I should be worried?

I have my 6 week (although it's more like 8 weeks) check at the end of this month so will definitely mention it then if it hasn't eased up, but wondering if I should get it checked out before if you think it's anything to worry about? I guess I'm just wondering if any of you have had lots of discharge following birth?

I suppose another question is could I be pregnant again? (!!) I'm not sure when I'd be fertile again - obviously we weren't careful so potentially it could happen. I haven't yet had a period since Amelia and not sure when this would be due. I was going to do a test just before my check-up at the doctors just to rule that out before I go - especially if I've had no period by then, as Amelia would be 8 weeks old.

Sorry if this post makes no sense!! I guess I'm asking any mums to share their discharge experiences lol

Jess xx

Jess- discharge git he is there... But not gravy/ bad. Mine us white/thick/creamy but not do bad I need to wear something for it...
As for a period I've not had one yet. Tho I too have DTD!!! Oops!!! ;)
I went to my 6 week check up n got my prescription (as I kno) but decided not to test before it as its not like I can start any contraception before I get my period anyway!!
Although J has hidden my prescription so I can't start it!!! Fecker!!!

Sorry. Posted too soon

Sarah.. I have private healthcare insurance but fit maternity to go private it covers ur hospital stay and appointments... But doesn't cover consultants costs, additional stay in hospital (if ur taken in for induction n have to stay in days previous to giving birth!), or scans!!!! So for to ho private this time round as it was all nice n straight forward, would have cost EUR2,500 for consultant... Plus EUR150 per scan....
If I'd had ur induction/labour... It'd have cost EUR2,500 cons fee. EUR150 per scan. EUR450 per night in hosp pre labour!!!!!
That's with VHI... So just check the small print.
When I rang VHI to check what I was covered for they made it sound like it was all covered by them. It was when u rang to book in with the private clinic I was told the extra!!!

Agree with Frances...having just looked into it..insurers will cover very minimally re pregnancy/not at all...and thats with having the best cover options. There are very minimal private hospitals and to pay privately is in the thousands :(

Am gutted :(

Agree with Frances...having just looked into it..insurers will cover very minimally re pregnancy/not at all...and thats with having the best cover options. There are very minimal private hospitals and to pay privately is in the thousands :(

Am gutted :(

Yea I've a high cover policy. Only coz work pay for it but its one if the best policies they offer...
Obviously pricing will vary with each hospital n each consultant but it's def not cheap...

Really?? Aww boo!! Tom is the one wanting it really, i was just happy to go along with it. But not if that's the case. Nothing wrong with the NHS (IMO) but I just don't want a repeat of last time. Just got more motivation to get the weight off so next time no GD (fingers crossed) which hopefully means no induction x

Really?? Aww boo!! Tom is the one wanting it really, i was just happy to go along with it. But not if that's the case. Nothing wrong with the NHS (IMO) but I just don't want a repeat of last time. Just got more motivation to get the weight off so next time no GD (fingers crossed) which hopefully means no induction x

My advice wud b to still look into it. Just b careful to watch out for that. Looking at hex way my policy is worded,maternity benefits look great... But it's not the case
N a few of the girls on the Irish forum I'm in have been caught out by it too
But I am in Ireland so cud b completely different in the UK x

For a 3 day stay in a hospital with consultant care and routine scans you are looking at about £10,000 as far as I am aware I don't think any of the insurance companies cover this. I'm pretty sure the most you get is cover for a section due to medical necessity but even then you have to top up for hospital overnight stays!
It's crazy money xxx

The only place I know of in Birmingham is heartlands. However, you aren't paying for a private hospital/care etc. you are paying for a consultant to oversee your pregnancy, scans etc and a c-section at the end. They still deliver you at an NHS Hosp cared for by nhs staff, it's just the consultant doing a cs when you want. I believe the antenatal care is provided at their private clinic which is nearby and they do a lot of fetal medicine stuff.
I believe it's upwards of £10000 for antenatal and delivery. They won't do normal births/induction etc due to the waiting around. I'm not sure if postnatal care is included beyond what you get in Hosp, as I've been out to see women postnatally with their babies.
To my knowledge you won't be able to get delivery care (beyond in London maybe) privately in a small hops as it's too expensive to run as you need a lot of facilities in case things go wrong and there isn't the demand for it.
In some places you can pay for a private room for afterwards I think.
I may be wrong though. Have a look. Am happy to be proven wrong! X

Ladies that were induced, did you have an appointment to see if you were induce-able? I am confused lol, I am 39+3 and tomorrow I am booked in to see if I am unduce-able, I thought this meant a sweep but my friend has just said she thinks they will start me off there and then if my cervix is favorable. Unsure what to expect now ho hum xx

Ladies that were induced, did you have an appointment to see if you were induce-able? I am confused lol, I am 39+3 and tomorrow I am booked in to see if I am unduce-able, I thought this meant a sweep but my friend has just said she thinks they will start me off there and then if my cervix is favorable. Unsure what to expect now ho hum xx

Ooh I was 39+4 (today 7 weeks ago) went my waters we t n Eabha arrived :D

No, I just got taken in and started off! They checked my cervix to see whether I needed the pessary or not first but that was it...

Good luck hun, I'm sure it'll be fine! Have they said anything about inducing you there and then? xxx

For those ladies that have bottle fed from the very beginning, did you need to use breast pads at all? Getting my hospital bag ready and I haven't got any, but wondered if I will need them? (I'm planning to bottle feed) x

Actimel- I've just brought some in the hope it will help with heartburn but can I drink more than one a day? I always remember it being promoted as one a day!

Sorry for all the q's!! Last one I promise-

When you had your 34 week midwife appt (mines tomorrow) did she tell you how big baby is gonna be (or estimate) and how baby is positioned and if she thinks you'll go early?

The reason I ask is cos I have a large bump and it's dropped a bit and so many people have said to me it won't be long!

Back