Pregnancy and Baby Advice Thread: From Conception to Birth, and Beyond!

Just been to toilet and I have quite a lot of brown discharge I don't have any pains at all I'm thinking it's probably just my plug bouncing on my ball now in case it's the start of something any advise sorry I know it's a bit of a gross one! Xx

Good luck hun!! Sounds promising :) xx

Ahhh I know my baby is currently asleep across from me, and I've done it myself, but I'm so jealous about the amazing thing you're about to do. :) This is such a fab time. Enjoy every second :) (if you can lol) xxx

Girls - I was sat in the doctors earlier waiting to get back on the pill :)() and my old midwife walked in and we said hi to each other etc, but I suddenly felt so sad that she wasn't my MW anymore lol and that I wouldn't be seeing her for a while. I'm so pathetic lol xx

Ladies I need bedtime advice please. Up until now Cole's night time routine has been: 6pm bath 6.15pm bottle 6.30pm sleep 10.30pm bottle & nappy change 3am bottle 6-7am get up I really struggle to keep him up past 6-6.30pm as he gets really morngy, even though he naps well through the day. The past few days he's been up at 5.30 which is a killer! He doesn't want a bottle, he just wants to get up. He won't have his bottle until about 7am so I can't feed him at 5.30 then put him back down. I'm thinking of trying to get his bedtime to 8pm so start his routine at 7.30 and hope he'll sleep later in the morning. How do I keep him up until then when, come 5-5.30, he gets really restless and unsettled? His day naps are usually 8-10 and 1-3 ish with the odd 10-20 minutes here and there.

I'm starting to come to the conclusion that baby led is the way forward with pretty much everything. Trying to make baby fit around you is just a recipe for frustration! We are very loose with bedtime etc, we start bedtime as soon as Seth starts looking tired in the evening but no later than 9. We don't do a bath as he doesn't like them and it doesn't relax him and we tried a story but he's too little to understand and just wants feeding! So all we do now is take him upstairs, change him into his bedtime clothes, sleeping bag on and then I feed him to sleep. And as a rule he then stays asleep until between 5.30 and 8 the next day. I used to try to get him back to sleep after that but I've given up on that now cos he just won't do it so we have a lie in for a bit and then start the day early. To make up for the early start I just try to take an early night. Same with daytime naps, I got obsessed with trying to make him nap but he doesn't want to do it and it ended up with us both getting stressed! So now I just let him nap if he wants to (which he is naturally doing more often now) but I don't force the issue and I think we're both happier for it. I know that probably doesn't help much but that's what we do xxx

Just been to toilet and I have quite a lot of brown discharge I don't have any pains at all I'm thinking it's probably just my plug bouncing on my ball now in case it's the start of something any advise sorry I know it's a bit of a gross one! Xx

Ooh fingers crossed! No advice sadly, my plug went after an internal so it didn't go naturally so to speak. My body was pretty rubbish at labour though lol!

Jess - I know what you mean, I really miss my mw! She was fab, got on with her really well... xxx

Ahh Jess bless you how many babies would you like? Xx

Ahh Jess bless you how many babies would you like? Xx

possibly 4 lol xx

I'm 24 next month, and would like my next one when I'm 25, the 3rd when I'm 27 :) x

I'm starting to come to the conclusion that baby led is the way forward with pretty much everything. Trying to make baby fit around you is just a recipe for frustration! We are very loose with bedtime etc, we start bedtime as soon as Seth starts looking tired in the evening but no later than 9. We don't do a bath as he doesn't like them and it doesn't relax him and we tried a story but he's too little to understand and just wants feeding! So all we do now is take him upstairs, change him into his bedtime clothes, sleeping bag on and then I feed him to sleep. And as a rule he then stays asleep until between 5.30 and 8 the next day. I used to try to get him back to sleep after that but I've given up on that now cos he just won't do it so we have a lie in for a bit and then start the day early. To make up for the early start I just try to take an early night. Same with daytime naps, I got obsessed with trying to make him nap but he doesn't want to do it and it ended up with us both getting stressed! So now I just let him nap if he wants to (which he is naturally doing more often now) but I don't force the issue and I think we're both happier for it. I know that probably doesn't help much but that's what we do xxx

I think you're right. I've been watching for signs from Oliver as to when he is tired. He tends to yawn and rub his eyes. I then try to make him nap at that time. Generally during the day it's an hour or so after feeding. He tends to nap for 30mins at a time although will often hVe one longer sleep in the day. We try to start bedtime routine at 7ish but I've noticed by 6.15/30 he gets grumpy and cries so wonder if we need to start routine there. We tend to have a little naked time then bath then quick massage and get dressed, bottle, book where we talk and he likes to look at pictures, then put him in his bed awake. If he screams lots then I will rock him to sleep but trying to get him to self settle.

Oliver then still wakes around 12, 4 and then 7 or 8 for a feed. So we are getting up more than you although not as early... But he is only 10.5 weeks. I think if Cole is going to bed early then it's to be expected that 12 hours later he will be wanting to get up. As for waking at 4.30am, what a killer. Would a drink make him go back to sleep? Dummy? White noise?

X

Does she have a set bedtime or do you just put her to bed as and when?x
She doesn't have a bedtime as such.. She has a bottle around 8ish every night.. So when she starts getting unsettled coming up to that feed, we go upstairs.. All nice n quiet n dark n calm.. Change her bum, put her in PJ's and then feed.. Usually by the end of that bottle she's either asleep, or falling asleep..

Ooh Katie.. Hopefully its yer plug n waters will follow soon.. And more importantly the contractions kick off :)

Thanks for the advice everyone. On phone so can't multi quote. I tend to let him lead with naps. I always know when he starts rubbing his face but he's pretty consistent with his times. He gets grumpy from about 5pm every night and nothing cheers him up!! We literally count down the hour to 6pm so we can bath him lol. It's a vicious circle because he wants to go to bed early because he gets up early and he gets up early because he goes to bed early. So I just need to find a way to break it a bit. I've managed to keep him entertained until now, he'd usually be in the bath now, so I'm trying to not bath him until 6.30 so he's on bed for 7. Then I'll push our bedtime back to 11 and feed him then and hope he'll go until 4am so he might then sleep until 7. Suppose it's all just trial and error. I just reeeeaaally don't want to get up at 5.30 every day. Even 6am would be better!!

It's the '5' bit isn't it? 5.55am sounds so early, 6.05am is so much more civilised! Hope it works tonight! X

Yep, it's the 5! 6 onwards is acceptable but I don't want to see two '5's' in a day!!
I managed to keep him up and he's only just gone in his crib. Went in awake, was asleep within 30 seconds. Bless him, he was shattered. So going to do the next feed at 11pm ish and keep everything crossed!!x

Sarah, Bella sounds v similar to Cole. Bed time is 7.30 and she is so grumpy from about 6ish. The only thing I've found that helps is going out with the pram (thank god for the lighter nights) she will either fall asleep for a bit which doesn't seem to affect her then going to sleep around an hour later or more often than not look around happily. Don't know if it's worth a go? X

Sarah, Bella sounds v similar to Cole. Bed time is 7.30 and she is so grumpy from about 6ish. The only thing I've found that helps is going out with the pram (thank god for the lighter nights) she will either fall asleep for a bit which doesn't seem to affect her then going to sleep around an hour later or more often than not look around happily. Don't know if it's worth a go? X

That's what we have been doing some time. I changed Oliver downstairs in front of the tv about 5.45 and decided to give him some semi naked time. He seemed to be glued to cbeebies and bedtime story and then in the night garden. He was watching it upside down which made it even more random! I know I'm probably a bad mum putting cbeebies on but it was some distraction in the background and tonight it worked til 6.45 when decided bedtime routine could start.

I had already been for a 10k walk with him earlier so couldn't face another one at 6ish.

I'm coming to the conclusion that Oliver is ready for bed earlier than 7.30 but if we move it much earlier then Paul won't ever see Oliver. Catch 22

That's what we have been doing some time. I changed Oliver downstairs in front of the tv about 5.45 and decided to give him some semi naked time. He seemed to be glued to cbeebies and bedtime story and then in the night garden. He was watching it upside down which made it even more random! I know I'm probably a bad mum putting cbeebies on but it was some distraction in the background and tonight it worked til 6.45 when decided bedtime routine could start.

I had already been for a 10k walk with him earlier so couldn't face another one at 6ish.

I'm coming to the conclusion that Oliver is ready for bed earlier than 7.30 but if we move it much earlier then Paul won't ever see Oliver. Catch 22

When we got back from our walk Bella sat Infront of Disney Junior for 30 minutes, kicking away happily ;) x

I managed to drag it out and he was asleep for 7.10. Giving him a bottle at 11pm and hoping he'll go to 4ish (or straight through but that's asking for too much!!) then if he has a bottle then he might sleep until 7ish, fingers crossed. X

Need some advice please girls - Bella isn't eating enough. She weighed 12.12 last time I got her weighed (last week) and is 10.5 weeks old. According to the back of the milk pack she should be having 5x6 oz feeds within 24 hours. She has 5 feeds in 24 hours but tends to drink around 4-5 oz but today has been so uninterested in her Feds and has just drunk 2.5oz before bed :( she is a really good sleeper (gawd I hope I don't jinx myself) and usually sleeps from around 8 and prob won't wake up until between 5.30 and 6.30am when she will have a bottle then go straight back to sleep until around 10 - 10.30 when I often have to wake her for her next feed.

There isn't anywhere else that I can fit a feed in as she then goes every 3 hours until bed time again

6am ;wake up for bottle)
10.30am (I have to wake her)
1.30pm
4.30pm
7.30pm (bedtime)

Quite often she looks discusted when I offer her the bottle back half way through after burping and she is constantly turning her head about looking all about, even if I feed her in the dark she is having a nose around!

Have been advised to try her on teet 2 as she is prob getting bored and having to work too hard but she really suffers with trapped wind and don't want this to make it worse! Don't know what to do :(

Today she has only totaled 21.5 oz - should be 30!!

Need some advice please girls - Bella isn't eating enough. She weighed 12.12 last time I got her weighed (last week) and is 10.5 weeks old. According to the back of the milk pack she should be having 5x6 oz feeds within 24 hours. She has 5 feeds in 24 hours but tends to drink around 4-5 oz but today has been so uninterested in her Feds and has just drunk 2.5oz before bed :( she is a really good sleeper (gawd I hope I don't jinx myself) and usually sleeps from around 8 and prob won't wake up until between 5.30 and 6.30am when she will have a bottle then go straight back to sleep until around 10 - 10.30 when I often have to wake her for her next feed. There isn't anywhere else that I can fit a feed in as she then goes every 3 hours until bed time again 6am ;wake up for bottle) 10.30am (I have to wake her) 1.30pm 4.30pm 7.30pm (bedtime) Quite often she looks discusted when I offer her the bottle back half way through after burping and she is constantly turning her head about looking all about, even if I feed her in the dark she is having a nose around! Have been advised to try her on teet 2 as she is prob getting bored and having to work too hard but she really suffers with trapped wind and don't want this to make it worse! Don't know what to do :( Today she has only totaled 21.5 oz - should be 30!!

I put Cole on number two teats at about 8 weeks as he was exactly the same. And he would refuse his bottle if I stopped to wind him so now I let him take as much as he wants then wind him when he's finished, even if it's the full bottle. I just make sure I wind him well afterwards but he loves sitting up and being nosey so it's easy to do. I also give him 5ml of gripe water as soon as we get up and he has another 5ml before bed because he just won't wind in the night. Touch wood he doesn't get trapped wind anymore so it's working so far. X

Back